Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 5th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 4,525Posts
    • 79,147Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming in to Spring - Slimming World Support Thr
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    Slimming in to Spring - Slimming World Support Thr 5th Mar 18 at 11:12 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Last edited by Chrisv; 05-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
Page 56
    • esmy
    • By esmy 11th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 4,359 Thanks
    esmy
    Morning all.

I've not read back so will just say well done losers, commiserations to gainers and welcome newbies!

Been AWOL for a few days as a busy week. This week is turning into a bit of a write off, SW wise. We went to a party on Saturday with a fabulous buffet. I started off OK but succumbed to a piece of salted caramel gateau which was absolutely beautiful - no regrets as entirely worth it! Plus 4 gins so well over syns. Then out for a pub lunch yesterday and I had a fabulous steak pie - I gave some of it to DD as I haven't eaten pastry in over a year and it was too much. Didn't eat the rest of the day after that. Spa stay tomorrow with both DDs and best mate so lots of drink will be consumed. We're all in need of a thoroughly relaxing break so this should hit the spot. Then DD1s birthday at the weekend and DD2 off to foreign climes for 8 months next week so more meals out for that.

No surprise then that I'll not be weighing in this week and hopefully can recover a bit for the end of next week.

Todays menu (on plan)
    B Bran flakes berries yoghurt and honey
    L Ham mushroom and spinach omelette with beans
    D Aldi's minted lamb kebabs (1.5 syns each) with salad and rice or a ww wrap
    Snacks Fruit

Have a good day, all.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 42,197 Thanks
    joedenise
    Well done Stokes on your 3.5lb loss this week and overall 4stone.

It sounds as though you are doing SP all the time which it isn't really designed for. Are you getting enough calcium for example if you only have one cup of white coffee and then drink black, or are you eating cheese for your calcium? Also you say you don't have hifi bars but neither did I when I was getting to target and have only recently starting having them occasionally.

What are you having for your HEBs as you really should be having 2 if your not eating any rice, pasta etc? If not, how are you getting your fibre? There really isn't enough in fruit and veg.

Have you thought about how you're going to be eating when you get to target as if you just continue as you are doing you'll just carry on losing weight.

I don't weigh every day but I do weigh 2 or 3 times a week to see how things are going but I think you're right it's really down to personality as to whether you can cope with doing this.

I hope this doesn't come across as being rude or preachy but I really am concerned that you may not be getting enough calcium and fibre in your diet.

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    • 18,856 Posts
    • 112,575 Thanks
    maman
    Is it just me or is the site playing up today? Very slow to load and post?

OH PS, going forward i will try for more speed foods than free especially in the fruit – im just working my way through what is in the house at the moment
    Originally posted by klew356

That happens a lot when you first start out. It wouldn't be very mse to waste food that you've already got in. If you've got family though, you could always feed the SW unfriendly food to them!

I'm probably not the best advert for Slimming World ever am I? That said, I owe my weight loss 100% to the principles that Slimming World have taught me. I've always liked to tinker and hack things to suit me though
    Originally posted by Stoke

Well done stoke on your loss and your 4 stone shiny! Don't worry, tailoring the plan to suit yourself is very common especially the weighing at home. I don't have scales in the house otherwise I'd probably do it myself! My first consultant ate no veg at all and got her only Speed from strawberries that she ate before her meals??? I (along with many others on here) choose to work from a weekly bank of 105 syns rather than 15 a day. I'm at target and choose to have extra syns rather than the official more HEXs but it's a case of whatever works for you. What I would say, aside from the health benefits that denise explained, is that if you're doing roughly EESP/low carb now it'll be difficult to boost your weightloss when you hit a plateau.

Happy belated birthday GTQ. It's good you had some treats but it could have been so much worse. Well done!

Hope it's a fun break you're having kathrynha rather than work. Enjoy it. This is a marathon not a sprint. Enjoy the view on the scenic route. Same for you too esmy. I think we have to allow for holidays and occasions otherwise SW is never going to fit into normal life.

Thanks for the update on the hospital tests denise and pleased you don't have to wait long for your next appointment. You've done really well to keep within 105 as you were away at the weekend.

I had an Asda leaflet pushed through the door this morning. They're doing a Ramadan special with tins of tomatoes, chickpeas and red beans at 4 for a £1. They'll be good for a veggie chilli. I plan to call by Home Bargains too as that's on the way and they generally have cheap Frylight and other SW friendly bits.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB toast, HEA milk, baked beans
    L: LO chicken(less) casserole with LO veg
    D: SE tagliatelle Bolognese
    Syns: 2 for 10g of Parmesan
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy birthday for yesterday Gettingtherequickly for yesterday

Has anyone seen the the hoola hoop puffts anywhere?
    I dont seem to be able to get them at the moment
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    Stoke~~great loss this week & well done on the 4 stone

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 42,197 Thanks
    joedenise
    [I]Well done stoke on your loss and your 4 stone shiny! Don't worry, tailoring the plan to suit yourself is very common especially the weighing at home. I don't have scales in the house otherwise I'd probably do it myself! My first consultant ate no veg at all and got her only Speed from strawberries that she ate before her meals??? I (along with many others on here) choose to work from a weekly bank of 105 syns rather than 15 a day. I'm at target and choose to have extra syns rather than the official more HEXs but it's a case of whatever works for you. What I would say, aside from the health benefits that denise explained, is that if you're doing roughly EESP/low carb now it'll be difficult to boost your weightloss when you hit a plateau.

Completely agree Maman. I think you've probably worded things better than I have, and also the difficulty with boosting weight loss when hitting a plateau.

I managed to book an appointment at the Dr on my way out but they said Thursday next week was the earliest appointment available with the same Dr so I took that and then when I got home I checked on line and was able to book an appointment for Monday morning instead (not allowed to book appointments in advance at Drs on Mondays or Fridays - only on the day) - daft if you ask me that I can still book for those days online!

Thanks for the heads up about Asda, will try and pop in next week when I go to Lidl as it's on the way. Can never have too many tomatoes! Don't use many chickpeas as DH doesn't like them very much except if they're made into hummous (with tahini!).

Glad I'm not the only one that has LO "chickenless or beefless" casseroles! My casseroles are always very veg heavy.

It's been a struggle to keep within the 105 syns this week - 5 days syns in 3 days used so very low syns on the other days to even it out!

Denise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    emsy~~enoy your spa break

maman~~the site is driving me nuts.
    As you say so slow & also posting twice!!

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    kathrynha~~enjoy your break

***Keep plodding***
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 11th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 12,533 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Well done Stoke on the loss and the shiny

Originally posted by maman

It is slow but I wasn't sure if it was the network here

Hope it's a fun break you're having kathrynha rather than work. Enjoy it. This is a marathon not a sprint. Enjoy the view on the scenic route. Same for you too esmy. I think we have to allow for holidays and occasions otherwise SW is never going to fit into normal life.

It's a 'fun' break. Just me and my daughter. Going to London for her belated birthday treat.
    I will enjoy it, but it will be a bit stressful at times. London is so big, busy and full of southerners. Also not great with her being on crutches, but I have a route plan to see and do everything she wants with as little walking as possible.

And my weight loss isn't going the scenic route, just on some long diversions through the c**p life is throwing at me, but I will still get there in the end.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 49 lb
    Last updated: 27th November 2018
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 11th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 3,143 Thanks
    Stoke
    Well done Stokes on your 3.5lb loss this week and overall 4stone.

It sounds as though you are doing SP all the time which it isn't really designed for. Are you getting enough calcium for example if you only have one cup of white coffee and then drink black, or are you eating cheese for your calcium? Also you say you don't have hifi bars but neither did I when I was getting to target and have only recently starting having them occasionally.

What are you having for your HEBs as you really should be having 2 if your not eating any rice, pasta etc? If not, how are you getting your fibre? There really isn't enough in fruit and veg.

Have you thought about how you're going to be eating when you get to target as if you just continue as you are doing you'll just carry on losing weight.

I don't weigh every day but I do weigh 2 or 3 times a week to see how things are going but I think you're right it's really down to personality as to whether you can cope with doing this.

I hope this doesn't come across as being rude or preachy but I really am concerned that you may not be getting enough calcium and fibre in your diet.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    No it doesn't come across as rude at all. Thanks for your message.

I occasionally have my HEX B's. Not always, but most days I have some brown bread or something with my tea or lunch. I think the calcium isn't much of a problem. I am still losing weight despite not measuring my milk these days. The last time I restricted my milk intake was about 2 months ago.

I don't know about when I get to target. I want to have a bit of wiggle room, so maybe be at the bottom of the accepted target weight? I am obviously very conscious about not falling back into old habits.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 11th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    • 6,542 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    No, it's not just you - there was a message up on the right hand bar earlier to say that they were having technical problems.

That happens a lot when you first start out. It wouldn't be very mse to waste food that you've already got in. If you've got family though, you could always feed the SW unfriendly food to them!
    That's what I tend to do ! But I do feel a bit like the Hansel and Gretel witch, fattening up my OH (who's not obese but could perhaps lose just a pound or two)

I try to restrict myself to just one mid-week weigh in to see ho things are going but it's hard to stop getting on those scales more often...

Todays EE plan:

B: ham and mushroom omelette, slice wholemeal bread (HEXB)
    L: cheese (HEXA) and red pepper salad
    D: sausages, mash, peas and mushrooms

Snacks - I'm going to the cinema tonight to see the RSC live broadcast of Macbeth with Christopher Eccleston (I can thouroughly recommend these live event cinema broadcasts if you enjoy theatre - they do a variety of different events). I've got a pack of cooked chicken breast slices and some pears to take with me - hopefully that way I'll avoid the temptation of the sweet stall.

Syns: Not sure about the sausages - they're Heritage brand Pork and apple ones out the freezer, but I've no other syns planned to day so as long as they're no more than 5 syns each I'll be ok.
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 11th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 6,663 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Good afternoon ladies.
    Quick post while the computer is behaving.
    -2 for last week and -2 for this week.
    Got my stone award and a lovely shiny sticker. So glad I decided to go to group know.
    Could someone please tell me where the chart is lease? can't remember what target I set.
    Congratulations to all the losers.
    ilovetea xx
    #10 Make £2018 in 2018. £2,204.08
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good afternoon ladies.
    Got my stone award and a lovely shiny sticker. So glad I decided to go to group know.
    Could someone please tell me where the chart is lease? can't remember what target I set.
    ilovetea xx
    Originally posted by ilovetea
    Great loses

***Keep plodding***
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 11th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 6,542 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Good afternoon ladies.
    ilovetea xx
    Originally posted by ilovetea
    congratulations - great losses. Latest chart is on post #1038 (gosh, don't we lot chat a lot - that's several pages back now!)
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 42,197 Thanks
    joedenise
    congratulations - great losses. Latest chart is on post #1038 (gosh, don't we lot chat a lot - that's several pages back now!)
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    We certainly do chat a lot on here. Think this must be the fastest moving thread on MSE!

Denise
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 11th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 10,718 Posts
    • 20,340 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Afternoon all
    The milk debate is an interesting one. Being in premature menopause I am supposed to have more calcium than I do- I cannot stomach calcium supplements though so I just have to try and get as much as I can through what I eat and drink. I am allergic to cheese so I mostly drink milk but despite always having my allowance plus more I never feel like it is enough! Tired today. Had to be in uni quite early this morning then had to do some work on my assignment. Worn me out!
    Todays menu:
    B: HEXB HiFi x 2, Light and Free yoghurt, pear. HEXA Alpro choc soya drink (+1.5)
    L: Stagg veggie chilli, jacket spud, salad. 2 bananas, Decaf coffee (1.5 for extra milk)
    T: SW pork skewers, rice, salad. Halo Top Cookie Dough (4) strawberries, measured portion of Easter Egg (6.5)
    S: Iceland chicken skewers with bbq dip (1.5) cup of lemon and ginger tea.
    Syns: 15
    Hope everyone is having a good day xx
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10- BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and W101.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018
    Miss you JV and TW
    Elle
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,733 Thanks
    beanielou
    Mrs R~~where do you get your hoola hoop puffts? thanks

***Keep plodding***
    • frogga
    • By frogga 11th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 19,130 Thanks
    frogga
    Hoola Hoop Puffs???!!!! That's not exactly 'Healthy Eating' now is it Beanie??
    Say it once, say it loud ~ I'm an Atheist, Anti-Royalist, Socialist, Tea-Total Veggie Frog and PROUD!

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Apr 18, 6:44 PM
    • 53,648 Posts
    • 633,659 Thanks
    bubbs

Steak,onion and mushroom pie

Evening all
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 3 1/2 lb
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 42,197 Thanks
    joedenise
    Hoola Hoop Puffs???!!!! That's not exactly 'Healthy Eating' now is it Beanie??
    Originally posted by frogga
    They're not the healthiest of foods but at only 3.5 syns a packet they are better than ordinary crisps which are nearly double that!

Beanie - all the supermarkets seem to have them according to MySupermarket. Currently on special offer in Tesco, Asda & Sainsbury at 85p for a pack of 6 - both beef & salted. £1 in other stores including £land & Morrisons.

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,361Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin