Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NaughtySpot
    • By NaughtySpot 5th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 109Posts
    • 646Thanks
    NaughtySpot
    Long term DMPers
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    Long term DMPers 5th Mar 18 at 11:01 AM
    We have been on our DMP for 6 years now, and itís pootling along nicely. Weíre just over half way moneywise, so still a bit to go yet.

But, big things are starting to need replacing now. Our car is old and high mileage and is needing several hundreds of pounds spending on it, and other big things are going done.

So my question is, what do other long term DMPers do when big things need replacing/repairing and it canít be absorbed in to the budget?
Page 1
    • ohbumstoitall
    • By ohbumstoitall 5th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    ohbumstoitall
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    We have been on our DMP for 6 years now, and itís pootling along nicely. Weíre just over half way moneywise, so still a bit to go yet.

But, big things are starting to need replacing now. Our car is old and high mileage and is needing several hundreds of pounds spending on it, and other big things are going done.

So my question is, what do other long term DMPers do when big things need replacing/repairing and it canít be absorbed in to the budget?
    Originally posted by NaughtySpot
    Are you self managing or doing it through a charity? If self managing - write to all your creditors and tell them how long you need to reduce payments for in order to buy a car. If through a charity, tell them and they'll sort you out.
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 5th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Suseka97
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    As has been said - if your DMP is being managed by a 3rd party then get in contact and let them know. You should be able to take a 'payment break' to pay for those 'big items'. I've not needed to (although almost at the end of my DMP), but I a friend of my husband was on a DMP for over 8 years and took several payment breaks across that timeframe, mostly car expenses related.

if you are self-managing then simply get in touch with your creditors/DCAs direct and tell them you are reducing payments to x amount for x months in order to pay for emergency repairs/costs etc.
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 3 UE's and 3 with CCA's pending / £11k o/s
    • January2015
    • By January2015 5th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 5,148 Thanks
    January2015
    Self manage and have a savings budget for these things
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • NaughtySpot
    • By NaughtySpot 5th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    NaughtySpot
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    Are you self managing or doing it through a charity? If self managing - write to all your creditors and tell them how long you need to reduce payments for in order to buy a car. If through a charity, tell them and they'll sort you out.
    Originally posted by ohbumstoitall
    We are with Stepchange.

Do you mean reduce to save up for a car?
    • NaughtySpot
    • By NaughtySpot 5th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    NaughtySpot
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    As has been said - if your DMP is being managed by a 3rd party then get in contact and let them know. You should be able to take a 'payment break' to pay for those 'big items'. I've not needed to (although almost at the end of my DMP), but I a friend of my husband was on a DMP for over 8 years and took several payment breaks across that timeframe, mostly car expenses related.

if you are self-managing then simply get in touch with your creditors/DCAs direct and tell them you are reducing payments to x amount for x months in order to pay for emergency repairs/costs etc.
    Originally posted by Suseka97
    We are with stepchange. We took a reduced payment option last month to pay for a car repair, and now the wheel bearings need replacing. I didn!!!8217;t realise you could do this for longer term.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin