Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SharkBite
    • By SharkBite 5th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 26Thanks
    SharkBite
    "Fitted" Wardrobes being left behind by vendors
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    "Fitted" Wardrobes being left behind by vendors 5th Mar 18 at 10:37 AM
    Hey

We are currently in the midst of buying our first home. Everything is progressing nicely and we should be exchanging very soon.

However, we have a small (though not deal breaking) issue with regards to the "fitted" wardrobes the vendors want to leave behind. As far as I am concerned they are free standing, ugly and we do not want them.

I thought the term fitted wardrobe was defined as a wardrobe built into a wall or alcove sitting flush. These wardrobes stick out from the wall and are fitted to the extent that the skirting butts up against it.

We received the inventory of items being taken or left behind and we were mildly shocked to find out the big ugly wardrobes are staying. We have already negotiated that we will purchase most of the kitchen appliances which is fine, but we get the feeling the vendors may not want the hassle of removing the wardrobes. We spoke to the Vendors EA and they confirmed that they will be staying.

(As I'm typing it sounds a bit trivial)

What's our position? Can we insist that they are taken? Are they actually fitted? We equally wouldn't want the hassle of moving in and having the hassle of getting rid.

We don't want to ruffle and feathers. However, we also do not want to be lumbered unnecessarily with the job of removing the wardrobes ourselves because the vendors do not want to. We get the feeling they would like to take very little to their new house.

All advice welcome. Thanks.
Page 2
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 5th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    • 9,413 Posts
    • 10,406 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    My wardrobes are not in an alcove but definitely fitted. Replaced free standing ones that didn't go to the ceiling and whose top acted as difficult to access dust gathering device.

I suggest you leave them and see how you get on with them for a few days you may decide you hate the look but would be better with better looking ones in the same place.

Unless its a very large room you may find that realistically there is little option as to how to arrange the bed and furniture anyway.

EDIT: I see EP got there ahead of me
    • SharkBite
    • By SharkBite 5th Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    SharkBite
    Luckily one set of the offending wardrobes will be in the spare bedroom so will not present an initial problem.

However the ones in the master bedroom a huge and will need addressing sooner rather than later.

I'm thinking that ill probably let this be.
    • flybynight
    • By flybynight 5th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    flybynight
    we moved in as first time buyers and had no wardrobes etc, we had some stuff rom being part furnished in renting. our seller was ace because he said 2 I'm moving into a virtually furnished house, and lots of this stuff is extra, heres a list of stuff I am probably gonna dump, if you want it its yours". the wardrobes and draws he left, while not exactly what mrs flybynight wanted, were able to be adapted to fit round our stuff, so we had things to use while we decided what we wanted. as it was we ended up with those wardrobes for a year or so until I got round to "doing" that room, which certainly wouldn't have been possible if everythingw as still in cases. we also got a washing machine and a massive book shelf the same way, and although the kitchen has been redone, we decided we really liked the bookshelf and got the rest of our new furniture to match it.
    so ask him , he may think he is doing you a favour and will gladly get shot if you don't need it.
    saving for more holidays
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 5th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    Is there anything at all you could do to give the doors a makeover, eg paint, decorative mouldings, mirrored panels, curtain, roller blinds or whatever? Or even change the doors to non-ugly ones (or get someone in if you didnt fancy doing it yourself?)
    Surely the inside/carcass is still usable, so perhaps if you could make the doors more to your taste or get new ones fitted, at least until you felt inclined to replace them, might that work for you?
    Any chance of a picture?
    Last edited by victoriavictorious; 05-03-2018 at 2:38 PM.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    Wood, it always comes in handy . .

You can never have enough wood

• esmy
    • By esmy 5th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 4,037 Thanks
    esmy
    My happiest days when we first moved here were spent demolishing fitted wardrobes, drawers, a vestibule and copious amounts of pine panelling with a sledgehammer and crowbar. You'd be depriving yourselves of a lot of fun if you get the vendors to remove them........
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 5th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Mnd
    Find a local charity shop which sells furniture.they will collect and sell
    Don't forget to register for tax rebate for them
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 5th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 64,999 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I've moved house lots of times and the easiest of those moves were where there were fitted wardrobes already there. I got lots of those flimsy bags, the type you get from the dry-cleaner's, and all clothing was moved on its hangers, covered from dust and dirt, and was hung up that way on arrival. Much less stressful than packing all clothing up then having to wait for new wardrobes to be delivered/assembled/fitted before it can be unpacked properly.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• theoretica
    • By theoretica 5th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 5,157 Posts
    • 6,405 Thanks
    theoretica
    At least they told you. I just found the wardrobe left when I moved in. Actually, maybe that way prevented agonising beforehand.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Find a local charity shop which sells furniture.they will collect and sell
    Don't forget to register for tax rebate for them
    Originally posted by Mnd
    Tax rebate?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 31,652 Posts
    • 19,963 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Just remove them if they aren't your cup of tea.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 9,037 Posts
    • 5,387 Thanks
    teddysmum
    If you have new wardrobes fitted, the workers would probably take away the old ones,as in the the case of fitted kitchens.Companies often do kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms so will have the same policy for all)
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 17,383 Posts
    • 15,729 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Tax rebate?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    I think they mean GiftAid.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 6th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 3,228 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    You know you can take them apart qith a hammer and put them outside in half an hour and phone a local rubbish removal guy who will probably take them away for £30 or so
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 6th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 32,035 Posts
    • 19,223 Thanks
    getmore4less
    There are more than one type of fitted wardrobes.

Ours were built with the house along one wall an extra stud with the doors and the internal fittings are wall to wall.
    In effect a mini room 62cm deep.

After market can be done like that or more common they are standard/custom carcase units where the gap to the wall is just a fillet piece, these are more common because they can take all the standard fitting drawers etc. into the carcase sides.

Think Ikea flat pack bolted to the wall and a nice surround to make them look fitted.

If they are the latter then there is a lot of usable/saleable options for what is a free standing wardrobe once you have them removed
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    dunroving
    Great thread on a common topic, that resonates with me. I am buying a house that is advertised as having "built-in" wardrobes in BR1, and says nothing about "built-in" wardrobes elsewhere. In fact, BR2's wardrobes look even more built-in than BR1, and are a worse problem as (a) they only allow room for a single bed in between, and (b) have a weird, botched-looking diagonal section on the wall where the door opens into.

The problem for me is that I have a double bed for BR2, and I really don't like the look of the built-ins in BR1. So, currently, even if I do remove the built-ins, I have nowhere to reasonably store my current wardrobes.

I do really like the idea of seeing if the doors in BR1 could be painted, replaces, etc. If the guts of the robes look fine, that may be a perfect solution - but I definitely want the ones on BR2 gone. I have my surveyor taking a look to see some of the things that have been pointed out - are the walls behind different, have the skirting boards been removed, etc.

To the OP, I'd say yes, it's a pain, but just communicate courteously via your solicitor and the seller won't take offence and the worse that can happen is they say no, they won't remove them.
    Last edited by dunroving; 06-03-2018 at 9:22 AM.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 6th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 5,418 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Ugly fixed wardrobes have their uses, esp if as an ftb you have very little furniture. They enable you to get stuff out of boxes and shove stuff out of sight, so you get straight quite quickly.

Then you get rid/replace at your leisure.
    Last edited by bouicca21; 06-03-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Typo
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    dunroving
    On a related note, when I bought my current house, I was "kindly left" the following )without any warning):

A dozen large goldfish in the garden pond (I managed to keep them alive for about 6 years until a particularly, ahem, "frozen" winter)

A complete, crap, homemade miniature railway set-up, minus tracks, in the attic (cost me one large skip and a day's cutting and sawing and lugging).

"Built-in" wardrobes in BR 1. In fact they consisted of sliding mirror doors only, with a load of free-standing, crap shelves and drawers inside, and hanging rail falling of the wall.

"Built-in" wardrobes in BR 2 - see above. Except in addition, he had cut away the end of the PVC window sill to "fit" the sliding doors next to the widow! And there was an old breeze-block sideways-facing boiler cupboard inside!

He had the cheek just before closing to ask how much I wanted to pay for his massive hot-tub that was in the garden. I said, courteously, via my solicitor, on your bike, if it's still there when I move in, I'll be charging for removal.

As others suggested, when I was due to remove the sliding wardrobe doors, I put them on Gumtree or Freecycle and someone came and picked them up. Win-win.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    Smodlet
    There really is no accounting for taste, is there, dunroving?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    dunroving
    There really is no accounting for taste, is there, dunroving?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    With all the snow we have been having up here recently in rural Scotand, the hot tub would have come in handy.
    (Nearly) dunroving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin