Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 5th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 8,287Posts
    • 1,964Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Sky price hikes - letter missing something...
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    Sky price hikes - letter missing something... 5th Mar 18 at 10:16 AM
    I (amongst many millions of customers) have, this morning - received the annual price increase letter, from Sky...
    The letter (which, to start with - does not give me the statuatory months notice of price increase (1st April)) - also does not mention any alternatives (such as leaving Sky - due to the increase being more than RPI) !!
    What do you all intend to do about this illegal notification from Sky ?
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 20,163 Posts
    • 11,106 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    What do you all intend to do about this illegal notification from Sky ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Class Action Law Suit

(I received my letter more than a week ago, could yours have been delayed due to the recent inclement weather?)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    (I received my letter more than a week ago, could yours have been delayed due to the recent inclement weather?)
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Probably, I got mine this morning too but it's dated 28/02/18.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 18,875 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    also does not mention any alternatives (such as leaving Sky - due to the increase being more than RPI) !!
    That's because it would be incorrect.

There are different rules for phone/BB (which I assume you are referring to when you mention the option of leaving) and TV (which I assume you are talking about here given it is posted in the TV section).

I'm sure if you call Sky, they may credit you the 4 days cost in lieu of the delayed letter due to weather.

• 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 5th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 8,287 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    TV - mine is going up by 2.50 which is 8% rise.
    Considerably more than RPI
    And in any case- mine was an agreed special price - arranged just 6 months ago for 18 months
    How can they put my charges up ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 05-03-2018 at 6:27 PM.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 18,875 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    Forget the RPI. It has no bearing on the TV section of Sky. I believe their TV terms allow for an up to 10% rise.

And in any case- mine was an agreed special price - arranged just 6 months ago for 18 months
    That would be very unusual for Sky. Usually it is a % discount rather than a fixed price. So 50% off an 80 package, as opposed to 40 a month. Then when the 80 goes up to 82, it is 50% off so total 41.

If you have the fact it is a fixed price rather than a % discount in writing, then get in touch with them.

• Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    That would be very unusual for Sky. Usually it is a % discount rather than a fixed price. So 50% off an 80 package, as opposed to 40 a month. Then when the 80 goes up to 82, it is 50% off so total 41.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    That's certainly what mine is, I've 50% off so my price rise on Boxsets is going up 2.05 instead of the full 4.10.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 5th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 8,287 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    Forget the RPI. It has no bearing on the TV section of Sky. I believe their TV terms allow for an up to 10% rise.

If you have the fact it is a fixed price rather than a % discount in writing, then get in touch with them.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    I pay 31.20 for an HD variety pack - going up to 33.70 THIS month !!
    They told me on the on-line chat that the price was fixed for the 18 months that the contract ran for (from July 2017)
    I have been a Sky customer for 16 years.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 5th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 8,287 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    How do Sky get away with over RPI rises every year - when THREE are limited to RPI ?
    And before anyone states the bleedin' obvious (three is a mobile phone company - so is sky !)
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 18,875 Thanks
    mije1983
    They told me on the on-line chat that the price was fixed for the 18 months that the contract ran for (from July 2017)
    And you have a copy of this chat yes? So get in touch with them and question it.

How do Sky get away with over RPI rises every year - when THREE are limited to RPI ?
    And before anyone states the bleedin' obvious (three is a mobile phone company - so is sky !)

This price increase is to do with TV, not mobile. You are comparing apples and oranges. There are different rules for mobile phones, BB, TV etc. They are not all under one umbrella. You seem to be getting wound up around RPI and increases. Again, there is no RPI linked get out clause, or price rise get out clause, for TV.

Anyway, you are in a much stronger position than most as you have it in writing from Sky that your package is fixed price rather than a % discount.

• brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Haven't had my letter yet either BUT I believe that previous years have shown the increase for your package WITHOUT discounts applied.
    I've just rechecked my future bills and my TV costs are going up 80p vs the published increase for my package of 2 so I'm still getting the 60% discounts as agreed.
    The increase on the full package price as a % would be ~2.8%
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Haven't had my letter yet either BUT I believe that previous years have shown the increase for your package WITHOUT discounts applied.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Yep, that's exactly what the letter says. For me it's 1.01 on Sky Broadband Unlimited & 4.10 on Boxsets (2.05 in actuality due to my 50% discount on the TV).

I've just had a phone call this morning to go in and complete the paperwork for our house move so I can finally think about getting a deal on the LR/BB since we'll have to upgrade to fibre.

Given the increase in Boxsets I think I'll see about a deal for Entertainment + HD even if it ties us to a contract (currently on about 15 months left of a rolling monthly one).
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Yep, that's exactly what the letter says. For me it's 1.01 on Sky Broadband Unlimited & 4.10 on Boxsets (2.05 in actuality due to my 50% discount on the TV).

I've just had a phone call this morning to go in and complete the paperwork for our house move so I can finally think about getting a deal on the LR/BB since we'll have to upgrade to fibre.

Given the increase in Boxsets I think I'll see about a deal for Entertainment + HD even if it ties us to a contract (currently on about 15 months left of a rolling monthly one).
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    You have confused me -why such a huge increase in Boxsets sub??
    I have Boxsets and its going from 15.20 to 15.80 with the 60% discount ( so should only be 1.50pm more at full price)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    You have confused me -why such a huge increase in Boxsets sub??
    I have Boxsets and its going from 15.20 to 15.80 with the 60% discount ( so should only be 1.50pm more at full price)
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    No, just checked my previous bills compared to future ones and the full price for Boxsets is going from 35.25 to 39.35 = 4.10 rise.

Edit: the reason I suspect is to force people on legacy packages on to Entertainment.

2nd Edit: is that a partial month? Have you checked May or June's payments?
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 06-03-2018 at 9:40 AM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    brewerdave
    No, just checked my previous bills compared to future ones and the full price for Boxsets is going from 35.25 to 39.35 = 4.10 rise.

Edit: the reason I suspect is to force people on legacy packages on to Entertainment.

2nd Edit: is that a partial month? Have you checked May or June's payments?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Think I must be on a "legacy" Boxsets deal then! - full price was 38pm -going to 39.50pm -I've checked up to June future bill - I suspect that they have ended up with all sorts of legacy packages ,with differing channel line ups -so with 60% discount, only a 60p pm rise. Add on a 20p rise in my full Sports pack deal ,gives 80p pm overall.
    • dcfc67
    • By dcfc67 11th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    dcfc67
    Give them a call and haggle.
    i'm on 60% of tv so going up to 9.40 from 8.80. i have free broadband as i pay 18.99 line rental so no increase for that .
    Complained that new customers can have Sky tv for 20 a month so why is my price going up 60p. Said its not the small amount its the fact that last year we agreed a price if i re-contract for 12 months.

Guy from Sky then offered to reduce line rental to 15, on a rolling contract, with the option to build a new deal come tv renewal time late September.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 41,894 Posts
    • 17,379 Thanks
    macman
    Because the contract you agreed is not a fixed-price one. They can increase the price the day after you contract, if they wish to. The 'special' price is usually a discount on the rack rate, so if that goes up, so does your discounted rate.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 12th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 4,674 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I have not receiced a letter yet, but if I can get out of my contract five months early, this would be great.

How can I check that they are or are not putting my price up if I do not receive a letter (if it is lost in post and I do not want to miss the months deadline).
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - 180,813.85
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 18,875 Thanks
    mije1983
    I have not receiced a letter yet, but if I can get out of my contract five months early, this would be great.

How can I check that they are or are not putting my price up if I do not receive a letter (if it is lost in post and I do not want to miss the months deadline).
    Originally posted by pollyanna24

I would imagine you should have received it by now. I'd give them a call. Although you can only leave the LR/BB part, not the TV.

• teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 18, 1:35 AM
    • 9,042 Posts
    • 5,389 Thanks
    teddysmum

Originally posted by pollyanna24

Check future bills on My Sky.

In the year I was on just Original (Can't remember what% off), I received an email about the proposed full increase, but never did have an increase for that minimum term.

I don't care now as 3 months on we are still Sky free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin