Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 5th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    One is thinner than the other. They will both work with your computer.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 5th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    I am assuming that you are buying from Currys only because these two drives are fairly cheap. Do not expect knowledgeable technical support and avoid being 'upsold' to something more expensive...
    • MissG
    • By MissG 5th Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    MissG
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    One is thinner than the other. They will both work with your computer.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Thanks for your help.

Is that the only difference, the size?

I am assuming that you are buying from Currys only because these two drives are fairly cheap. Do not expect knowledgeable technical support and avoid being 'upsold' to something more expensive...
    Originally posted by John Gray
    Thanks for your help.

Yeah, from currys. That's the cheapest price I have found and I can get 5 off with a promotional code.

I already have the slim portable in 500GB. I use the 500GB a lot to store my craft SVG files on, the one I want to buy will be replacing a desktop (can't remember the make) hard drive that I already have, but the connection had gone loose on it. It's the connection from the hard drive end to the laptop that has gone loose, if I move the connection it will connect then. It has years worth of photos and different files on it which I hope that I can transfer onto the new one.

I'm wanting a portable this time to save space, having to dig it out, set it up by plugging it in and then connecting it each time
    The best things in life are for FREE!!!
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
    • MissG
    • By MissG 5th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    MissG
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    avoid being 'upsold' to something more expensive...
    Originally posted by John Gray
    There's no chance of that, I will be getting it online. I'm getting one of these, but I just wanted to know for sure exactly what the difference was
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 5th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    If you want to know more about the differences I would head over to the Seagate website.
    • MissG
    • By MissG 5th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    MissG
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    Thanks for your help, I have gone for this one

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/external-hard-drives/seagate-backup-plus-ultra-slim-portable-hard-drive-2-tb-platinum-10156301-pdt.html
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 27,216 Posts
    • 10,963 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    Bit cheaper at Argos
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 5th Mar 18, 9:21 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:21 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:21 PM
    'Backup Plus' as far as I'm aware is what Seagate use to designate an SMR drive (they initially used the badge 'Archive'), this is a technology which increases the data density but reduces random read/write performance:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/lacie-porsche-chrome-hdd-usb-c,news-52078.html

It should be suitable for standard file storage though.

John
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 6th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Joes nana
    on a similar note, although o can't help the op. I was wondering something similar myself.

I have a Seagate 1 tb external HD which works just fine. but my significant other half said there's a disk one and a ? something else one and the disk one eventually wears out and corrupts. is this right ?

if so which is best and what's it called?

thanks. joesnana
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 6th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    John Gray
    I have a Seagate 1 tb external HD which works just fine. but my significant other half said there's a disk one and a ? something else one and the disk one eventually wears out and corrupts. is this right ?

if so which is best and what's it called?
    Originally posted by Joes nana
    I think you are going to have to reword that in more intelligible English, since I for one haven't got a clue what you mean!

Unless you're talking about the relative expected life of an external USB hard drive compared with a USB Flash Drive...
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    DoaM
    HDD - mechnical disk

SSD - solid state disk (no moving parts)

That's what post #10 is probably asking about.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • MissG
    • By MissG 6th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    MissG
    Bit cheaper at Argos
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Thanks for trying to help, I had a voucher code so I got it for the same price. Although the price in argos is 60 that is for 1TB, the one I got in Currys was 2TB and that is priced at 85 in Argos
    • vtech19
    • By vtech19 6th Mar 18, 10:52 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    vtech19
    The differences depend on what you purchase. You could go all out and purchase an SSD drive which would be very small and thin and load programs much quicker than a common hard drive. Or you could purchase a Hybrid SSD which is half and SSD and half disk - not much use unless you'd be using this internally as a boot up drive in which case windows would be booted from the SSD section along with other programs you use on a regular basis. Or you can purchase a normal HDD (has disks) which would be big and slow compared to the ssd and hybrid ssd.

disregard all of the above in terms of speed if you are using a usb 2.0 port, you will want usb 3.0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

784Posts Today

6,227Users online

Martin's Twitter