Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 5th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    Unreasonable to ask for another viewing/assurances
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    Unreasonable to ask for another viewing/assurances 5th Mar 18 at 9:44 AM
    Hi,
    I've just recieved a response from our EA that has me pretty frustrated and I wanted to check if our request is unreasonable?

We viewed and offered on a house in October, it was accepted and we took my parents around for a second viewing in early November after the survey pointed out some issues and we wanted to see if they were dealbreakers for us. We've done all the prep from our side but the sale stalled as our solicitor wanted some paperwork from the council to confirm the legality of an extension, applied for in November. Everything else is ready, solicitor has our signed contracts & deposit.

This paperwork has still not come through (it had to be resubmitted in Jan for reasons I won't go into) and the vendor actually moved out in Jan (thinking the paperwork would have come through by then, they planned their move in advance).

Given the recent weather and having heard absolutely nothing in two months I reached out to the EA to confirm the house was still being heated, and suggested a follow up viewing at some point. Also our mortgage offer expires in 7 weeks so I wanted to just get some sort of sense of update.

In response I got a one line saying the vendors are away for the next 3 weeks, he is sure they wouldn't have turned off the heating (he was also sure the paperwork would be in by Jan and was quite aggressive trying to get us to hand in our rental notice which we ignored) and that any further viewings before exchange will not happen as it would be 'a waste of his time if things didn't proceed'.

Is our request unreasonable and just silly FTB angst?
    Should we
    1) Stop worrying
    2) press the matter with him
    3) Bypass him and route the question/ request through the solicitors

We've seen a lot of reports of burst pipes, flooding and broken boilers in South London recently and the property being vacant over the whole period concerns us. The initial survey mentioned damp and I'm also thinking a cold, unheated house could be a lot worse now.
    Thanks for the advice in advance.
Page 2
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 6,334 Thanks
    Smodlet
    The estate agent works for the vendor. You don't have a contract with them and aren't their customer so a complaint, whilst possibly cathartic, won't go very far.

Don't let the comments get to you. Honestly, once you're in the house you won't care. And you know which estate not to use in the future, and who not to recommend to your mates.
    Originally posted by david1951

Yes, the EA does work for the vendor, who would probably not be happy to find their sale had been compromised by the attitude of their EA. For all you know, this complaint might be (probably is) the latest in a long line and the one that finally makes the firm take action to curb their obnoxious employee.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    We insisted on a viewing just before exchange. We live over 100 miles away so it's not like we were just round the corner, the house could have burned down since our previous visit for all we knew. In all I visited 5 times before completion. Initial visit, then second visit so husband could view it (he hadn't seen it before offer was accepted), third visit to look at some things thrown up by the survey, fourth visit to enable an electrian/plumbing company to quote for work were going to do immediately after completion and final fifth visit days before exchange to check the house was in the condition we were expecting it to be, as always advised by people on these boards!

The vendor dragged the sale out for 6 months, it was a probate property and the agents had keys. They were pretty good in letting us view. About the only thing they were any good at.........
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 5th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 10,652 Posts
    • 13,932 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I bought an empty house the one before I'm in now. The EAs were horrible to the point of nasty. I wanted to take a builder round as was changing the back of the house and wanted to know I could afford it, and wanted to check it hadn't flooded/burnt down (like yourselves), but they pretty much refused viewings.

They'd had me in tears when trying to offer as they were vile and wouldn't take me seriously - kept telling me to call back in 2 weeks or so as all the prices were going up and someone else would buy it in the meantime'. I did get quite a chunk off in the end as nobody else did buy it in the 4 or so months it was on the market.

In the end I just gave up with them and bought the damn thing (turned out to be the loveliest happiest home I've had). I know it was hundreds of thousands, but it just wasn't worth the stress after having two years and complete and utter hell in my life. I knew that house was the one for me.

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face. I know you ought to view, everyone says so, and I try to but not always. Can you at least take a walk/drive past it to make sure it looks like it's still standing with no signs of life in it? Maybe speak with neighbours to see if anyone's been in and out of it - good excuse to see what they're like.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 23rd Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    Hi all,
    So to update we followed advice here and the solicitors and ignored the EA until the paperwork came through this week.
    We then asked for another viewing, and he asked "why?!", we pointed out that we hadn't seen it in 6 months and he then was fine with it!

So my husband went and saw it this morning and noted that there are a few more hairline cracks than before but the thing that's concerning us is a new damp patch, at head height in the living room in the alcove at the front (so the wall adjoining the neighbours)
    It's maybe 6 inches.

Should we be concerned or should we get over it and exchange? We've waited so long we don't want to delay any more.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 23rd Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    m0bov
    Could be anything, has it been recently decorated? Could they have hidden something? Leaky gutter? Leaky roof?! Leaky windows?
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 23rd Mar 18, 12:41 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine

These are photos of the patch

Not sure why that didn't work, these are the urls

https://ibb.co/jWv8vS
    https://ibb.co/cALxpn

It's not that visible in the wider shot, just shows that it's not huge and the context of the placing.

This is a Victorian house.
    Last edited by Nadeshkarine; 23-03-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 23rd Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    m0bov
    Sorry cant see anything
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 23rd Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    They did a whole house rewire and decorate in early 2017. So when we first saw it was maybe 3 months after a paint job, and now is more like 9 months.
    It's not next to the window, and the outside gutter looked clear.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 23rd Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    m0bov
    Can you get a friendly builder to have a quick look for a drink?
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 23rd Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    m0bov
    Is it near the chimney breast? If so, is this a older property? Chimney capped? In good condition?
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 23rd Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    It's the wall adjoining the front of the house so away from the chimney stack. Don't think we could get a builder round - both a lack of knowing one and whether they'd let us go around again!

Hmm what's the worst case scenario - a leak from something in the neighbours or the guttering? Could it be a symptom of something that would take 1000s to fix?
    Neighbours weren't in for us to ask if they'd had issues. This is a Victorian house and we'd already been told had 'rising damp' by surveyor but there were no other signs. This patch is head height though so seems unrelated.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 23rd Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    m0bov
    Can you circle on the wide shot of where abouts it is? Its possible the damp patch will grow until the source is identified. Until then, it could be anything.
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 23rd Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    Hubby has done another sweep of the outside and thinks that this hole might be the cause on the neighbours side - it's probably where the old guttering fixing was.

Would getting this fixed be a huge job?
    Likely requires cooperation with an as yet unknown neighbour...

https://ibb.co/hFYgh7
    https://ibb.co/ic4Mh7
    https://ibb.co/nr559n
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 23rd Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    https://ibb.co/iJeAaS
    https://ibb.co/gT559n

These are with circles
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 23rd Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 3,989 Posts
    • 13,575 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    If damp patches are visible (they aren't on the pictures), they'll be visible to other buyers, so the vendor is going to have to acknowledge it's an obvious potential hurdle to any kind of sale.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 23rd Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    m0bov
    Its very possible and it could be that its much worse in the neighbours house. I would also question whether three drain pipes into ONE is a good idea? During heavy rain it will over spill.

TBH, I don't know how attached you are to the house, but I would not proceed until I have been next door and had a look, guage how helpful they are. Poss its a long term issue which is why the decorated and could even be why they are selling. You just don't know.

I would knock on the neighbors and if no reply, pop a note in, polite note asking them to give you a buzz.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 23rd Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 6,334 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Not sure if this https://ibb.co/gT559n shows a shadow or a large damp patch. If the latter, I would be prepared to walk unless the neighbour co-operates and the vendors pay for a damp survey. I wonder why they went away for so long... To escape their nasty, damp house during the snowy weather, perhaps? No wonder the EA did not want you to view it again.

Until you know the cause, it is impossible to know if this issue will cost pennies, pounds, or 000s to fix. I would walk unless the above conditions were met and the purchase price reduced by the cost of the repairs (if over a couple of 100) once the cause is determined. Your call.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 23rd Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    m0bov
    Wonder if OP got in contact with neighbor.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 23rd Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 5,764 Posts
    • 5,446 Thanks
    anselld
    Hubby has done another sweep of the outside and thinks that this hole might be the cause on the neighbours side - it's probably where the old guttering fixing was.

Would getting this fixed be a huge job?
    Likely requires cooperation with an as yet unknown neighbour...

https://ibb.co/hFYgh7
    https://ibb.co/ic4Mh7
    https://ibb.co/nr559n
    Originally posted by Nadeshkarine
    I would be more worried about why the bricks are a different colour and the pointing on the left is so horrible. Has something been rebuilt?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter