Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • textbook
    • By textbook 5th Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 144Posts
    • 15Thanks
    textbook
    Disagreement with bus driver
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    Disagreement with bus driver 5th Mar 18 at 8:33 AM
    Got into a disagreement with a bus driver- I accidently went down the wrong lane into a car park. the bus driver could have waited, it wasn't intentional. Anyhow, he cranked at gears to accelerated towards me. I reversed out but gave him an unfavourable hand signal while I did it. we wound down our windows and I called him a thick *******. he shouted who's in the right who's in right in his Dorset accent. I was basically very stressed at the time and so reacted so.

My friend is a bus driver and when I told him the story he was clearly angered by my actions and told me that all buses have cameras and audio and that I would get a police visit? Is this true? Can you get in trouble for shouting something at a bus driver?
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 5th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 9,479 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    missile
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    Seems like you were in the wrong lane which caused an altercation, you were abusive to the bus driver and he responded in kind. Now you want to report him to the police?

I hope they charge you for the driving offence.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 5th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    he shouted who's in the right who's in right in his Dorset accent.
    Originally posted by textbook
    I would take it all the way to court if I were you - you're probably owed thousands in compensation purely based on this fact alone.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 1,732 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    I suggest the bus driver should claim compensation from the OP - he's the one whose been abused
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • J B
    • By J B 5th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    J B
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    Now you want to report him to the police?
    Originally posted by missile
    The way I understand the OP is that they are worried that the bus driver will report them to the police!
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 5th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    • 890 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    Since the Police have never had the time to visit when my cars have been vandalised over the years............I would think they have better things to do than worry about the odd swear words between men.

Why would shouting at a Bus Driver be any worse than anyone else?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 16,551 Posts
    • 41,784 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    I reversed out but gave him an unfavourable hand signal while I did it. we wound down our windows and I called him a thick *******.
    Any particular reason you thought this was a good idea when you acknowledge you were the one in the wrong lane. There's only ever going to be one winner in a stand off with a bus, and it's unlikely to be you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    Got into a disagreement with a bus driver- I accidently went down the wrong lane into a car park. the bus driver could have waited, it wasn't intentional. Anyhow, he cranked at gears to accelerated towards me. I reversed out but gave him an unfavourable hand signal while I did it. we wound down our windows and I called him a thick *******. he shouted who's in the right who's in right in his Dorset accent. I was basically very stressed at the time and so reacted so.

My friend is a bus driver and when I told him the story he was clearly angered by my actions and told me that all buses have cameras and audio and that I would get a police visit? Is this true? Can you get in trouble for shouting something at a bus driver?
    Yes, bus driver is totally wrong.

He should never have used his Dorset accent.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 5th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,264 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    Got into a disagreement with a bus driver- I accidently went down the wrong lane into a car park. the bus driver could have waited,
    Why on earth should the bus have waited and so delayed all the passengers on board, and everyone else who will use it that day. All because you cannot control your car properly and work out where you are going!

I very much hope that your license is taken away, because people like you should not be allowed to drive. Perhaps a year of depending on public transport might teach you some basic consideration.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69

haha really? come on now, what do you think?!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Why on earth should the bus have waited and so delayed all the passengers on board, and everyone else who will use it that day. All because you cannot control your car properly and work out where you are going!

I very much hope that your license is taken away, because people like you should not be allowed to drive. Perhaps a year of depending on public transport might teach you some basic consideration.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Considering the way bus drivers pull out onto the road - I'm sure they're used to the abuse.
    • textbook
    • By textbook 23rd Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    textbook
    Obviously I was in the wrong but people who follow rules anally in my opinion (often in the UK) with no flexibility are stupid as well. I didn't deliberately go into the wrong lane. I would have let the car/van through if I realized it was a genuine mistake on their part. I was very stressed at the time and reacted like I did. Wouldn't normally.

My question is ,can these buses record and video verbal exchanges and prosecute?
    • martindow
    • By martindow 23rd Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 4,317 Thanks
    martindow
    Many buses have video cameras inside and out - not sure if they all record audio as well. I imagine this will show a car going the wrong way down a bus lane, reversing out and then its driver making abusive gestures and swearing at the bus driver.

I'm sure bus companies have checked that videoing is within the law. No doubt they pass tapes to the police after collisions, traffic violations by other drivers or abusive or aggressive behaviour towards their drivers.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 23rd Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    I was very stressed at the time and reacted like I did.
    So you thought you'd get behind the wheel and drive.

Dear oh dear.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 23rd Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    bigisi
    can these buses record and video verbal exchanges and prosecute?
    No - a bus cannot prosecute someone.

Anyhow,he cranked at gears to accelerated towards me.
    and I called him a thick *******.
    Slightly ironic
    Last edited by bigisi; 23-03-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 23rd Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Splendid over in this thread. I'll bet 5p that not only won't you be prosecuted but you will not hear anything. It may not be wise to have done as you have done(and you acknowledged that) but all the twaddle about whether you should drive, whether you should be banned for the odd decade or just simply strung up is classic keyboard warrior.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 24th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 4,317 Thanks
    martindow
    I'm sure the OP won't be prosecuted, bit it would be good to think that bus companies might have a zero tolerance attitude towards people who are abusive to their drivers.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 24th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    NeilCr
    I'm sure the OP won't be prosecuted, bit it would be good to think that bus companies might have a zero tolerance attitude towards people who are abusive to their drivers.
    Originally posted by martindow
    My partner's son is a bus driver and his employers do have a zero tolerance policy I am pleased to say. Their buses have cameras all around outside and inside. I don't know if they record sound, though.
    • textbook
    • By textbook 26th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    textbook
    Splendid over in this thread. I'll bet 5p that not only won't you be prosecuted but you will not hear anything. It may not be wise to have done as you have done(and you acknowledged that) but all the twaddle about whether you should drive, whether you should be banned for the odd decade or just simply strung up is classic keyboard warrior.
    Originally posted by giraffe69

I know. It's funny really. So many people write absolute Cr%%p on forums. Forums are great but you have to have the skills to interpret nonsense from great information (which you can get from forums).
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 26th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Stoke
    Since the Police have never had the time to visit when my cars have been vandalised over the years............I would think they have better things to do than worry about the odd swear words between men.

Why would shouting at a Bus Driver be any worse than anyone else?
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    But this is the police we're talking about. Plenty of paperwork for those vandalised vehicles of yours. Easy to go round and 'rough up' someone for shouting at a bus driver.

Top coppering that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter