Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cherry76
    • By cherry76 5th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 520Posts
    • 41Thanks
    cherry76
    Do you need both cartridges for printer to work?
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    Do you need both cartridges for printer to work? 5th Mar 18 at 8:27 AM
    Printer suddenly stopped working. Documents in queue with printing error. Only the on/off light comes on. Printing error message. Have use print and scan with hp troubleshooter and windows fix problems. No problems found. Cannot print test page and it is showing in the queue as printing. I mainly print in black and replaced the cartridge but noticed the colour one is all dry up.I am wondering whether this is the cause before I go and buy a colour cartridge and finds out it still will not work. It is an old HP desk jet. I have got spare back cartridge but no colour. Any advice pl. Thanks
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 5th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    • 18,614 Posts
    • 12,760 Thanks
    molerat
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    My HP will work in "back up mode" with only one cartridge so only one way to find out
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 5th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    (with a black only cartridge) just try greyscale only printing.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • that
    • By that 5th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    that
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    Some HP need both cartridges even in black and white, otherwise they will not print. Personally think it is a con but...
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,874 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    Depends entirely on the printer. Some will work with only one cartridge empty but most won't.
    • cherry76
    • By cherry76 6th Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    cherry76
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    According to printer manual needs both to work. Have ordered one and hopefully it will work.
    • vtech19
    • By vtech19 6th Mar 18, 10:55 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    vtech19
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:55 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:55 PM
    if it's still under warranty, take it back say it's broke and get a replacement which often comes with new cartridge... that's some money saving
    • Iamzee
    • By Iamzee 6th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Iamzee
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    HP printers generally need both cartridges to print specially the old ones. It's not really a good idea to stay with this kinds of brands and models as there are now printer brands like epson that lets you refill and print documents without the hassle of getting both cartridges changed and they are way cheaper too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin