Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 5th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 967Posts
    • 12,651Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Using fresh yeast
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    Using fresh yeast 5th Mar 18 at 8:20 AM
    Hi folks I've been gifted some fresh yeast. Has anyone got a foolproof. bread recipe that's simple? I usually use dried yeast in a bread maker.

I would like to make some buns too.
    Any help muchly appreciated. I've googled but no real success.

Thanks

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
Page 1
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 5th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 7,901 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    I love to use fresh yeast. Use double the weight of dried yeast.
    One thing to get right is ' proving' it. Add a little of the warm water and a pinch of sugar. Put in a warm place for a few minutes until you see the bubbles - this checks that it is working. Don't leave until frothing or you are wasting the bubbles.
    Not sure how experienced a bread maker you are, but as with all recipes, don't use all the water at first, add about 3/4 then add slowly to allow the dough to absorb it, you may not need it all.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 5th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    Thanks Jackyann for the tip. I only use a bread maker. Have you got a favourite hand made loaf recipe that you use with fresh yeast?

Sorry to be a pain.

Gintot
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 5th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    Very standard: 600g white or mixed white / granary flour, 30g fresh yeast, pinch of sugar, teaspoon salt, 30ml. rapeseed oil (or 30g butter) and lukewarm water to mix.
    You knead that for 8-10 minutes, leave in an oiled bowl (I cover with a damp tea towel) for an hour or so until doubled in size. I don't do much of a second kneading, just a few seconds, then into an oiled tin, or shaped into 2 round or cylindrical loaves. Second rising until puffed up over the tin.
    Heat the oven to about 200. Have a spray of watr & a sharp knife ready. As quickly as you can, do a slash along the side of the loaf, open the oven door, put in the loaf and spray the water.
    Takes about 25 minutes for the smaller loaves (or 20 for rolls) 35 for the large loaf.

BTW I am the same person! I couldn't log in during the 'password debacle' but earlier today, using my table, it was automatically logging in under the name 'jackyann'.
    I'll try to sort out with the mods in the next few days.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 6th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    Thanks for the bread recipe and tips builders daughter/jackyann.Just what I needed,

Hope you get your login sorted.

Gintot
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 8th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    Hi I made bread following your recipe and it was delicious.

Thanks

Gintot
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 8th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    So glad! I find it difficult to get fresh yeast now, so have taught myself to manage with dried. A local baker told me that fresh yeast is much better, but less predictable for domestic baking, and I think that's right.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 11,985 Posts
    • 75,019 Thanks
    kittie
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    fresh yeast was all I could get in the 70s, living in north wales and miles from anywhere. I used to buy an 8oz block from the bakers and went back to do a marathon bread making session, to fill the chest freezer. In those days I had the standard anthracite aga and had to get that very hot for all those loaves. I used a kenwood chef, the workhorse one. The bread was always beautiful but I was very glad when dried yeast was marketed

Nowadays I use yeast from shipton mill, keeping it in a lock n lock in the fridge. It is always potent. Shipton also sell fresh yeast
    https://www.shipton-mill.com/flour-direct/organic-dried-yeast-500g.htm
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 9th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    Hi BD, my friend got fresh yeast in her Ocado order.

I have a little more so may make some rolls tomorrow.

Gintot
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin