Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • textbook
    • By textbook 5th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 140Posts
    • 15Thanks
    textbook
    Best to keep quiet about being mortgage free?
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    Best to keep quiet about being mortgage free? 5th Mar 18 at 8:14 AM
    Got an inheritance (100,000 ) then from another old inheritance kept saved - 20,000 and 15,000 saved I bought a one bedroom flat -124,000 outright. Only a one bedroom flat and I am 44 so not really that great but lots of my friends are struggling to pay their mortgages or rent in rubbish places in an area of the country with medium earning potential and high house prices. Best keep quiet?

or just say had big deposit. Think one friend worked it out when I explained my bills. we fell out recently, could be partly tom do with this
Page 1
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,268 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    Why do you feel the need to tell anyone whether you have a mortgage or not? Just interested.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 5th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    harz99
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    Got an inheritance (100,000 ) then from another old inheritance kept saved - 20,000 and 15,000 saved I bought a one bedroom flat -124,000 outright. Only a one bedroom flat and I am 44 so not really that great but lots of my friends are struggling to pay their mortgages or rent in rubbish places in an area of the country with medium earning potential and high house prices. Best keep quiet?

or just say had big deposit. Think one friend worked it out when I explained my bills. we fell out recently, could be partly tom do with this
    Originally posted by textbook

Nobodies business except you.

I do think though, it always pays to keep such matters to yourself, as there are some oddball and jealous people out there who don't like others having more than them.
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 5th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    Hi

It's not a conversation I would instigate, but a small number of my close friends do know I am MF. I agree people can be jealous, but the truth is I worked hard to pay off my mortgage, and I could have spent money in other ways and not paid it off. There will always be people who are jealous of others. If people fall out with you over your having no mortgage I might suggest not worrying about them.

If a one bedroom flat is enough for your needs, why buy bigger.

Bexster
    • Maxthebrave
    • By Maxthebrave 5th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Maxthebrave
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    I've just come back from a good friends and we've talked nothing but money but I wouldn't do it with everyone.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 5th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 14,067 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    Why are your friends struggling to pay their mortgages? They have never been so cheap and will only go up in cost. I suggest that your friends may be rubbish at budgeting. Well done on buying out right for cash, good news for you!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 5th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 7,123 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    I would bet good money that the reason you fell out with your friend is absolutely nothing to do with your housing situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,985Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin