Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 5th Mar 18, 6:26 AM
    • 2,164Posts
    • 14,646Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small MSE things will you do w/c 5th March
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:26 AM
    What small MSE things will you do w/c 5th March 5th Mar 18 at 6:26 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 5
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 10th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    This weekend is operation DD room. We are changing the layout, swapping the bed with our spare, hopefully decluttering, giving it a deep clean, repairing the wardrobe etc.

When we are not doing that I plan to:
    RM survey
    Home Educate children
    BLD from stores
    Set dw and wm to run overnight
    PAD
    Stick to meal plan
    Check bank accounts
    Transfer money to where it needs to go

Reminder to myself:
    Buy tickets for nephew's show
    Look for some where for extended to go for a celebratory meal, complicated by the fact I don't know Sheffield.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 10th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 26,251 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi March Money Magicians,

DW remains Plague-ridden and the washing machine is having a hard job keeping up with the laundry. Also needing to have the heating on to dry said laundry. At least I'm feeling ok now.

Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Breakfast is a leftovers omelette.

* Made a sausage soup for dinner tonight after work. Thanks Smurf it's nearly the weekend.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 10-03-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 23,345 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

The weekend already feels like it's off to a great start as we've been to the gym for an hour. Today we have/will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Gym (rehab/physio) -
    Leek & Potato bubbling away in SC for soup (smelling great) -
    Washing -
    Ironing -
    Filing & Shredding -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Swagbucks -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 10-03-2018 at 7:27 PM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in Jan 18: £491.91/£155 Make £5 per day in Feb 18: £51.40/£140 Make £5 per day in Mar 18: £150.36/£155 Make £5 per day in Apr 18: £93.25/3150 Make £5 per day in May 18: £8/£155
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 4,036 Posts
    • 20,785 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Saturday Savers,
    So dull & rainy first thing, decided to treat ourselves to breakfast in town. Chose Waitrose Cafe so that our coffees would be free. Halos gleaming as paid from our personal spends, so zero effect on bank balance/budget.
    *Grocery shopping at Aldi & Waitrose. Over budget by £11, but there will be some rollover of supplies into next week's meal plans so am not worried about overall monthly target.
    *Stayed on outskirts of town so parked for free.
    *Updated grocery budget, another budget & shifted a bit of cash between pots to keep everything accurate.
    *Paid another 3 x 50ps into my sealed pot.
    *Finished knitting socks last night....a free pair for mr f, as I used leftovers of 6 part balls of blue & 1 part ball of a nice self patterning sock yarns from my stash. Next project is finishing the thrift project I started last summer - a 'patchwork' throw for the sofa made from loads of tiny mitred squares knitted from leftover odds & ends of sock yarn. I'm going to fetch that project box down in a minute & see how far I've got with it.
    *mr f is trying a new recipe tonight - Moroccan beef pie (from one of Waitrose's free weekend newspapers). It sounds tasty, is fairly low calorie & will make enough to freeze for another meal. It uses couscous as the basis for its crumble topping. I haven't done that before, but can see plenty of opportunities to top leftovers if it works out well.
    *No downstairs heating on yet. Trying to hold out until a bit later. Really, we want our energy usage to start decreasing from March, don't we?
    Ok, those are my only efforts today.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £800-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £244
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 10th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Good afternoon all,

I didn't get round to posting yesterday as I wasn't really feeling myself. Glad to get to the weekend and thankfully the kids have been better behaved which has made a much nicer start to the weekend then we'd had the last two weekends.

Not much in the way of "small things" but hopefully putting a list up will remind me of what we have actually done!
    Ys crumpets for our breakfast
    Up and out to the cinema for a 9.30am showing! Meant that there wasn't a lot of time for the kids to wind DH and him decide to cancel the plans again! Also meant we were able to park for free on the outskirts of town. Also as we'd had breakfast we didn't need to take any snacks or drinks with us either
    Was meant to be going to Mcd's with them afterwards but the rain was bashing down and the roads really busy so we turned back around and popped to the local shop and got bread rolls and came home for cheese & pickle sandwiches instead So at least £15+ saved there I think!
    Watching rugby at home with the candles lit and a fleece blanket on for a little added warmth, like Foxgloves I'm wanting to get energy bills heading down again.

Still to do
    Edit online shop booked with Mr T tomorrow
    Will eat from stores tonight
    Book the week aheads gym classes
    Book next weekends Mr t delivery to get the slot I want

I think that's about it for today.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 5,005 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Busy day!
    Cleared camper van out ready for its checkover / service on Monday
    Moved loads of stuff in OH's den so that we could get out a chest of drawers that he is giving DD
    DD and her OH came round to help move furniture round, put chest of drawers in the back of our car (our car is bigger and there is no child seat in there at the moment). DD very pleased with lovely antique mahogany chest of drawers This one, alomg with some other old furniture, was cleared out of someone's barn (at their request, obviously) ages ago and restored by OH.
    Moved a cupboard out of spare room to put OH's stuff in (after he had decluttered )
    Moved a table from first floor landing up to spare bedroom and left a lovely clear space on the landing
    It is all a bit of a mission due to a) heavy old furniture, and b) a 3 storey house with steep stairs Anyway, done now. OH had to move loads of stuff out of the way though, and it will all have to be put back.
    I did a load of stocktaking for my business - two thirds of it done, I reckon
    Made a veggie chilli and potato wedges for dinner
    Just about to wash up, make coffee and get an early night!

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Mar 18, 6:26 AM
    • 6,834 Posts
    • 40,019 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys whoop I've made it to my final day of the week found out yesterday I get paid time & a 3rd for weekend work and was allowed to leave 30 mins early

I've been awake since 5am so have used the time to straighten everything out financially all accounts now straight - such a relief to have that in order!

Also set goals for the next week, and gathered up my lunch/snacks for the day

I also hope to:

* hang up washing
    * shower instead of bath
    * get oh to do card for dd & call her to wish her happy mother's day
    * also she has some homework
    * oh & madam ended up eating at inlaws so yesterday's dinner will be had today
    * wrap hair in towel to promote curls rather than dry
    * cast on 2nd sock when I get in. In fact I could take it to work and do it in my lunch break...

That's it! Have a great Sunday x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Mar 18, 8:16 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Good morning Dnms and all who follow

Todays list from me
    Made a Mothers day card for my mum, (probably looks as good as something I made when I was 5 but the thoughts there!! )
    To do
    Once Mr T delivery has been I can peel spuds/make mashed potato to go with meat pies we are having for lunch. We have my parents/sis/niece coming over for lunch and wanted to do something different as it was mothers day so pies instead of a normal Sunday roast.
    Dessert is going to be the rocky road ds1 made at school
    ys crumpets for breakfast
    Shower and continue use up of lotions and potions - will leave hair to dry naturally.
    Check that sis is still ok to babysit next week as we have a show to go to with my parents that we bought them for Christmas
    Watch the rugby this afternoon with fleece blankets and candles - not cold enough for candles yet
    Watch either a film from amzon/netfix or last week's top gear with the kids whilst we have a picnic tea in front of the tele
    Make families lunches for tomorrow
    Meal plan for tomorrow only - will plan the next few days tomorrow once I've been through everything done
    Hoovered just were needed
    Changed the lunch box i'm using for ds2 as it was bigger in size and I found we were putting more in it as it didn't look much if that makes sense!

That's about it.

Have a good Sunday all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 11-03-2018 at 2:40 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,751 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks.... still catching up with the thread.

Sorry for being awol all weekend. I've been busy but up and down in myself. Had a fab day Thursday, but was very down again yesterday. Getting a bit fed up of these mood swings!

I don't even want to go into the garden centre spends... I may be ejected from the group

OH was very sweet about it though, he said that at the end of the day, I get a lot of enjoyment from the garden (true) so it's worth it (unsure whether this is true)
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 11-03-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 26,251 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi March Money Magicians,

DW still has Plague so today I am charged with doing the planned top-up grocery shop. This is usually strictly the job of She Who Can't Stop Coughing. I have been suppled with a List and Instructions. I will be taking the Ferrari (aka the shopping trolley) and going the shop on foot.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Coronation Chicken with jacket potato for lunch using forgotten about mango chutney.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 11-03-2018 at 12:00 PM.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 14,646 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning al

Hope everyone is ok. Today’s things:
    DH bought some bacon and muffins from shop and is cooking breakfast for us all. Much cheaper than the eating out
    Home made cards from the smalls
    I sent my mum one that I bought as a duplicate a previous year and kept in my card box. It’s split in to months and is great as I stash all my cards in there and has saved me loads over the years as I always know where they are
    DDs to preside lessons
    DH and I to gym
    Half price chicken for dinner
    Make tomorrow’s packed lunches
    Portion up bean casserole and freeze some
    Make tangerine cake if time as I found some ground almonds in cupboard
    MH app
    Quick tidy round ahead of week
    Watch something on box sets with DH tonight

Have a good day peeps.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 11th Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 4,025 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone

ally make sure u look after the Ferrari!
    CLF there is something so tempting about a garden centre. Hoping u r feeling happier today. Mood swings are just the worst, I have flat days but not very often, but they just make u feel even more miserable. Enjoy that garden!

Off to my mum's later to take fish and chips in. Have been driving round with a hydrangea in the boot for her, if I had brought it into the house one of the cats would have attacked the flowers. It's only one of the cats that has a problem with plants and flowers. Got gifted a lovely big palm once, that didn't last long and DD never buys me flowers as we had to keep them in the downstairs toilet from said cat ripping the heads off.
    Nothing much else planned today. A report I should have done days ago still hasn't been done so I'm planning a relaxing evening. If I put my energies into it should take a hour tops.
    Will spend a bit of time with my mum this afternoon, she is going to help me plan operation living room so that I can put budget plans in place and start buying things gradually and continue the clutterfest.
    Want to try and put a couple more things on eb@y
    Run the Hoover quickly and relax the rest of the day.
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 5,005 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Been to a market / flea market we often go to on Sundays. Bought a few things to sell on, plus some cheap food bits from the market bit. Apart from that, I spent the princely sum of 20p on a small washing up bowl for the camper van, and another 20p on a rusty saucepan full of sea shells, which little GD will love sorting and washing tomorrow

Nice Mothers Day present from DD2 yesterday when they came round to pick up a piece of furniture we gifted them

Apart from that:
    Walked dog
    Washing on line, hope it will dry!
    Another load to put in machine
    Need to clean the items I bought for sale, and price some of them up for my unit tomorrow or Tuesday
    Ought to finish stocktaking - only the items in the garage to go!
    Making shepherds pie with sweet potato mash topping for dinner, invited brother, as I am not sure he has much money for food till he gets paid next Friday At least he will be going home afterwards
    Need to do a small shop at Lidls - hope OH will go, as there isn't anything very complicated on the list

Hope everyone is having a nice day

• little pink purse
    • By little pink purse 11th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    little pink purse
    Good Morning Every one

Happy mothers day

today its cold but it time to turn the heating down lol

my todo list
    get ready for work next week
    check and buy and shopping needed
    get stock ready for the sales units not been in 2 weeks due to the snow and just being lazy (how rude lol)

start looking in to my debt as i need to focus on one

see you soon keep warn and well xxxlppxxxx
    nsd may /10
    feb fuel and food budget £350.00

debt total highest £66k now £65k
    FIRST DEBT TO BLAST £2142.95 /
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 26,251 Thanks
    allydowd
    Morning everyone

ally make sure u look after the Ferrari!
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties

I drove it like a Ferrari driver.

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,751 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Thanks guys I dunno what gets into me some days.

Right, best to post a proper list, given the spendy ways of the weekend.
    • B/L/D from stores
    • No alcohol
    • Not going out anywhere after work
    • Walk at lunchtime - done
    • Reconcile budget sheet
    • Plant peas
    • Try to be positive
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 11-03-2018 at 3:06 PM.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 26,251 Thanks
    allydowd
    Bit of batch cooking to do:

Chicken and rice soup

Spicy beef and lentil soup

Some sort of pastry-sausage thing for dinner.
    Last edited by allydowd; 11-03-2018 at 1:21 PM.

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,751 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    My freelancer has overwritten all of my data directly onto my master project.

Good feeling gone.

External voice: ok, well we can salvage some of it... we'll just re-do it.
    Internal voice: $!^* P£££ B^%$&$$X ARRRRRGH RAGE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 11-03-2018 at 1:04 PM.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 26,251 Thanks
    allydowd
    My freelancer has overwritten all of my data directly onto my master project.

Good feeling gone.

External voice: ok, well we can salvage some of it... we'll just re-do it.
    Internal voice: $!^* P£££ B^%$&$$X ARRRRRGH RAGE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Go into the document and repeatedly click Ctrl+Z....you may get lucky.

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,751 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Go into the document and repeatedly click Ctrl+Z....you may get lucky.
    Originally posted by allydowd

Cheers Ally. Unfortunately, this particular software only supports "roll back to last save", but it was also overwritten and turned off overnight.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin