Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 5th Mar 18, 6:26 AM
    • 2,154Posts
    • 14,572Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small MSE things will you do w/c 5th March
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:26 AM
    What small MSE things will you do w/c 5th March 5th Mar 18 at 6:26 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 3
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 6th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 23,343 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Dawn - Hope you manage to find some time for yourself as you sound so busy at the mo

Today we have/will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Meat in SC for tea - Done
    Gym (rehab/physio) - Done, loved it
    DIY Pamper session - Done
    Prep a couple of letters/parcels -
    Purge a few emails - Done a few
    Enter a few comps - Done a couple
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer - Done
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL - Done

Have a great day all.

C x
    Originally posted by ziggy2407
    Another good day but tired now. I also remembered to order prescriptions.

Love my "new" gym it has everything - a dedicated ladies only area, fab equipment, swimming pool, a pay as you feel cafe, library and looks and feels like lots going on. After my session today while I waited for DH and BIL I spent some time in the library.

Came home from the gym to a lovely surprise, a 50 cheque from a magazine comp win

Night all xx

Last edited by ziggy2407; 07-03-2018 at 8:13 AM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make 5 per day in Jan 18: 491.91/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 18: 51.40/140 Make 5 per day in Mar 18: 150.36/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 18: 93.25/3150 Make 5 per day in May 18: 8/155
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 6th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Thanks Ally

Mini rant coming Be Warned!!!
    My son text me from the school bus on the way home to let me know he needs ingredients for cookery.... tomorrow!! They should have been told about it last week but as they were sent home with the snow warning they were left a message in their home room this morning which Ds1 didn't pay any attention to until someone on the bus said about it being for tomorrow. Now I have quite a good store cupboard in but we still had to go out to get marshmallows, digestive biscuits, dark chocolate and syrup another 5+ spent in the shop for ds to take to school (after measuring out at home) they will mix the stuff together and then bring it home - there is no actual cooking involved...just mixing. So far in this school he's made (I use the term "made" loosely!)
    Scones, that he mixed at school and cooked at home
    A fruit salad
    A pizza (on pre-made shop bought bases) that he then covered with tomato puree, cheese and pepperoni and then brought home to cook.

I don't know if this is what all school's do but its very different to when I was at school when we made spag bol and cottage pie etc and actually cooked things!!

ok rant over....normal service will resume...
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    I think your rant is very justified, what a waste of everybody's time and money.

When I was at school in the 1980's we learnt how to cook from scratch.

I think the school should be teaching pupils kitchen skills and what terminology means and hopefully how to make quick, healthy cheap meals.

Scones, that he mixed at school and cooked at home
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    I was always taught that scones needed to be cooked ASAP after adding the liquid as it will affect the rise.

We are teaching our 2 to cook. I originally started on them being able to get something for themselves to eat, really for my own piece of mind as OH works away from home a few days a week and I worried what we would do if I was too ill to make them something, thankfully this has never happened. we planned to start with something simple and then the next dish would be taking that further as well as incorporating new skills. It isn't quite going to plan as DS eats something then asks can he learn to cook that and DD often helps OH whether he wants it or not We are going to work out what skills we want them to have, which include the clearing up afterwards, as well as a selection of meals they should have as a core. Both of mine are cabable bakers I now want them to be able to cook meals.

It looks like you have a project on your hands over the summer teaching your sons to cook.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 6th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Congratulations Ziggy
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Mar 18, 6:54 AM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 14,572 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    lbaileys babe you tube is a good source of teachings for knitting, I found it most useful when I recently returned after many years away from it.
    Ziggy congrats

Have to run to get to work, will post my list later.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    • 6,830 Posts
    • 39,986 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning BB I agree with purps youtube has helped me learn to knit. I love my socks!

ziggy great day! Congrats

Today I am meeting up with a friend going to the swimming pool and sauna at the gym I have a 3 day free trial pass with I went yesterday with dd and it was lovely!

Before I do that I want to nip to the CS and see if I can pick up any ramekins.

other things:

* Put away yesterday's washing and do another load
    * onepoll
    * portion of soup out of the freezer for lunch
    * gas & elec search
    * making pizza for tea to use up chicken and salad bits. Portion of hm pesto out of the freezer
    * froze enough rubber chicken for another pizza
    * also got out half price pack of mozzarella (24p), a ys frozen yogurt for madam and some prefrozen pizza base sauce
    * when I make pizza I will double up the dough and freeze one for another day
    * clean front room windows
    * read martin's newsletter
    * updated spending diary & monthly gc spends
    * finish sorting out madam's World Book Day outfit (was postponed last week due to weather)
    * bake banana cake - must do this!
    * sort out work clothes/bag/phone etc
    * knitting and audio book

Ok that'll do. Have a great day
    Last edited by determined new ms; 07-03-2018 at 9:37 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Mar 18, 8:25 AM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 11,697 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

BB - I too am on the sock mission. I'm a bit like your daughter in that I'll just plough in and decide I'm going to do something! I made a couple of knitting swatches last weekend and decided that it def qualifies me to do a test sock with the help of the internet and my sock book that I got for Christmas

ziggy - nice on the cheque!

Change of plan last night. We went out! Not out out, just out. Met up with a friend of a friend and went to see some jazz! Not my thing as such but it was free other than a couple of beers and it was nice to do something different. OH also bumped into an old uni friend and they agreed to catch up, which is nice.
    OH had suggested cheap tea in town but I said that we may as well eat at home. A good 20 or more saved there

Today's plan:
    • B/L/D from stores.
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Gym at lunchtime - done
    • Wash outside
    • Write a list of garden tasks for the weekend - started
    • Crochet - new sunshine and showers is out!
    • No alcohol
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 07-03-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 4,997 Posts
    • 39,416 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Congrats on the win Ziggy
    1LL, I fail to see what your son and his classmates are learning from his 'cooking' lessons (I was a teacher in a previous life, and am struggling to think what the learning objectives might be). Sounds like a waste of scarce time that would be better spent doing something else!

Today's plans look like this:
    Take items to sales unit as I had a few small sales yesterday Must find a box for them in a minute - I cleaned them up and labelled them last night Done
    Pick up mini oven and hob thing that I am buying for Operation Get My Brother Into His Own Flat. Has anyone got any experience of these? It is a Russell Hobbs one. Hope it works ok, as a proper cooker is going to have to wait till HE can afford one! It is actually a Morphy Richards one, and works fine - I am quite impressed with it!
    He went off to work early this morning leaving all the downstairs lights on and the kitchen door to the chilly conservatory wide open. He does this every morning if he leaves for work early, but OH was up before me today and went ballistic Never mind, he should be in his own place by the end of the week
    May need to do a shop - either today or tomorrow Will put it off as long as possible as spending has been shocking over the past couple of weeks Did it today, got it over with - must update spreadsheet
    DD coming over later With little 3 month old GS
    Ought to hoover the lounge first Done, while OH was out with dog (dog is frightened of hoover, OH, not so much )
    Hope to get out in the garden again if it is nice I redid the hanging baskets yesterday and it really cheered me up being out there playing in the dirt I have two massive tubs of mint that I want to split up. I will repot a small piece of each only - DD wants some, as does someone on FB, so hopefully it will all get good homes! Done, phew, that was actually a big job, at least for someone with a dodgy hip Replanted a little section of root for each variety into smaller pots (though not that small!), there is loads in bin bags on the patio to be rehomed!
    Last edited by DawnW; 07-03-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    NSDs for May: 2 / 19

• Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 7th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Morning all

The sun is shining brightly

Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions with the knitting.

Today I plan to:
    Take meter readings and submit
    Check bank accounts
    BLD from stores
    Set DW TO run overnight
    Set WM to run overnight
    Make a batch of porridge
    RM survey
    Home Educate children
    NSD
    PAD
    Turn off lights and appliances not in use

I'm going to set aside some time to focus on my knitting. Any recommendations for YouTube videos?
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 7th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 26,194 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi March Money Magicians,

Work later.

Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Cleaned house with Stardrops and washable cloths.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 500

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 7th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Thanks for your comments re ds1's "cooking" I'm glad I'm not on my own! Having spoken with another parent at the school it sounds like they don't have a fully operational kitchen as it sounds like that it what the PTA are fund raising for. Ds has done proper cooking with me at home, we made cakes etc when they were younger but once he was sensible enough we turned to helping peel/chop veggies, make mashed potato, Yorkshire puddings etc for Sunday lunch also beans on toast or scrambled egg on toast etc
    Last night when I reminded him he needed to get his cookery stuff packed, he asked if I'd weighed it all out for him already!! erm no sunshine sorry!! but apparently his friends parents are even weighing out the ingredients for them!!

Ziggy, sounds like a fab gym and congrats on your win too

Hope the poorlies are feeling better too.

Todays list
    ys bread with scrambled eggs for ds1s breakfast Done
    Two loads washed on the quick 30 degree wash Done
    First load out on the line Done
    Ran the dw on the quick wash early on so that ds1 could empty it for me before school as he usually empties it before bed but I'd forgotten to put it on! Done
    2nd load to go out on the line Done and just put in the airing cupboard now as its not damp just cold I think
    Gym done and refilled water bottle there twice Done
    Do headspace app Done
    Clean kitchen using stardrops Done
    Hoover just where needed Done
    Iron only what needs doing, like dh's shirts, most things can be hung straight away Done
    Make a start on sorting out the garage, after the last lot of diy we did lots of things just got put at the front of the garage as it was chucking it down with rain and we were in a rush, so need to get it straightened out and decluttered as I know I have at least two bags of things either for the tip or the CS that I put in there before our holiday to get them out of the house
    Check banking/update spreadsheet Done - order dh card reader thing for his new account Done
    Make a mince/tomato based sauce and a chicken curry Done, made sense to do them both today as the base veg I put in them both is the same so may as well get it all chopped and cooked at once! I put in grated carrot, onions, diced peppers and sweetcorn. The last couple of onions in the bag were looking a bit iffy so I diced them and froze them ready for another day rather then leave them and end up binning - no food waste here!
    All meals from stores
    Check fridge - make sure nothing going off Done and tweaked meal plan accordingly
    update freezer inventory Done
    Make families lunches for tomorrow Done
    Cleaned out both ovens with some cleaner that a former tenant left in a house - Done

That's my starter for the day. I've finished my coffee so better get on!

Have a good day all.

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 07-03-2018 at 8:21 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 20,699 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning all,
    Bit of a grump last night because the damned cough came back! I've heard this from various people about this wretched lergy, that you get pretty much over it & it pops back again! Luckily it seems to have subsided again this morning. Have a meeting later, so won't have such a productive day as normal, but so far, so good on the frugal bits:
    *Last load of laundry for this week pegged outside to dry.
    *Baked sourdough loaf I made yesterday.
    *Herb bed cleared & dug over.
    *Did a few surveys.
    *Jacket potato night tonight - no expense spared here! (esp. as mr f says he only wants cheese & beans on his!)
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Weighed 3 more ebay items for listing when I get round to doing this.
    *mr f dropping me off & collecting me from meeting tonight to avoid car park charges.
    *Drop Ziffit box off for collection at local shop.
    *Seed order arrived, so be able to have my planned greenhouse day tomorrow.
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water.
    As I have to go out tonight, I'm determined to fit in some leisure activity this afternoon, but all will be free......will watch a TV prog on catch-up, knit & read.
    Great win Ziggy!
    1LL - I agree with Dawn, I can see no learning objectives there at all. I left school in 1982. I learned to cook properly. I did cookery until O-level subject choices, then I chose 'Food & Nutrition' O-level, which was home economics, food science, nutrition & practical cookery. We did make cakes, pastry, biscuits, etc, but we also learned loads about making meals. Most important from a money saving point of view was learning how to feed a family economically, what to do with leftovers & how to devise our own recipes confidently. I still occasionally make a tuna fish pie recipe I devised. We'd have 3 or 4 sessions on, say 'pies', then for the next session, we'd be told to invent our own variation on what we'd learned. I was quite academic & went on to do both a BA & an MA, but I'd have to say that my cookery lessons/O-level were the most useful thing I learned from a purely practical, life-skills point of view.
    Dawn - Hope all goes well with your brother. You have the patience of a Saint. I am sensing that this is his last chance, after all the effort & expense you're putting in, & that the 'free hostel' will be closed in future. Hope it all works out!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 714-70
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 244
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 11,697 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I'm interested in the tuna pie recipe pls foxgloves.

I sometimes make a tuna and egg pie from my Hamlyn cook book. It sounds rank but it's really nice and high in protein.

• brightylr
    • By brightylr 7th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    brightylr
    Hello Everyone, Hope you don'd mind me tagging onto your thread. Im trying to save as much money as possible, on my debt free journey.
    Today I have - listed 2 items on ebay
    - tried to change the heating settings (me and baby are home most days so its on quite a bit)
    - will walk to school to get DD (2 miles)
    - checked postcode lottery & Stars

No spend Day today!!
    Debt Free Wannabe

Current Debt as of Feb 2018 - 6,261.06
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 11,697 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hello Everyone, Hope you don'd mind me tagging onto your thread. Im trying to save as much money as possible, on my debt free journey.
    - tried to change the heating settings (me and baby are home most days so its on quite a bit)

No spend Day today!!
    Originally posted by brightylr

Welcome to the thread! The more the merrier

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 7th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    1LuckyLady

No spend Day today!!
    Originally posted by brightylr
    Welcome to the thread. Its a great source of support and information
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 14,572 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Finally got round to posting my list! Journey to work was tiresome so didn't have time when I got there. Anyway:

Packed lunch for DH and I using last of chicken curry made at the weekend
    Dd had quiche in hers, plus 2 mini donughts from a frozen pack we had a Christmas that are on use up!
    Check banking, update sheet
    Washing on airer, another load on tonight as after the snow that is forecast early doors tomorrow it looks a good day for pegging out
    Came home early so no after school fees for smalls
    Rustle something from stores for tea
    If DH back in time both go to gym , if not draw straws
    Renewal came through for DH tax, will double check online how much it is, but not pay until just before it's due
    Move funds from my 2nd current account to DH so we get the interest bonus on both.
    Check meal plan for rest of week and beyond to make sure everything is allocated and nothing wasted
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 7th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Hello and Welcome brightylr to the best thread in the world.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 7th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Update on my sons "cookery" lesson - "its not a recipe I'll be making again" he said after tasting it!!!! (its not awful to be fair although it doesn't look good think pile of soggy brown mush with bits in it in a bowl!

EDIT - to say he has just come and asked if he can finish off his brothers bit though!
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 7th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Take meter readings and submit
    Check bank accounts
    BLD from stores
    Set DW TO run overnight
    Set WM to run overnight
    Make a batch of porridge
    RM survey
    Home Educate children
    NSD
    PAD
    Turn off lights and appliances not in use
    I managed everything on today's list, but I didn't look at my knitting - if I'm not carefull it is going to turn into a frog.

I also arranged and coordinated things with my sister by free text - we are both with giffgaff it was good to sort things out as well as chatting periodically throughout the day.
    • spudsmum
    • By spudsmum 7th Mar 18, 11:41 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    spudsmum
    Hi all,

1LL I completely agree on the school cooking - pointless - i was at high school in the 90's and still remember when they sacked the home economics teacher and supposedly incorporated it into design and technology - cooking was rotated with textiles, IT, woodworking and whatever else so we got about a lesson every term and even then we never got anywhere near a cooker in that time just copying recipes into our books and learning about weights. I learnt cooking from my mum and I'll be making sure I teach my kids. IMHO instead of spending millions on advertising campaigns the best way to tackle childhood obesity would be to Spend some of that money on teaching proper healthy cooking in schools but thats my personal rant

Brighty -welcome

Anyhow Thanks for the get well wishes everyone - i feel slightly better but still not great, been sneezing constantly all day which is very annoying and slightly nervewracking when you've birthed 3 kids

Seem to have lost my mojo this week with everything work, home, kids the lot and to be honest its getting me down - feeling ill has meant we've not stuck to our usual healthy eating meal plan and have been nipping to tesco for bits of whatever we fancy. This means instead of my usual 50-60 we've spent well over 100 on food - thats madness and needs to stop right now. Especially as DH's wages will be short next week due to two! days off sick

On a frugal front today I have:

1p roadkill to debt jar
    no heating needed today
    NSD today - not been well enough to go out - again!
    B, L, D from stores
    cashed out 3 from topcashback - gone to debt jar
    cashed out 2.53 from qmee - gone to debt jar
    done a fair few surveys
    ordered a load of water saving gizmos via the MSE link
    fed kids the last of the storecupboard muffins for dessert - even fussypants (the eldest small) said he loves them so will definitely be making those again

Heres hoping I feel better tomorrow and can start gettbg things back on track
    Last edited by spudsmum; 08-03-2018 at 12:29 AM.
    Total debts 21050! now 19977 . 1% challenge 812.50/15000 (5.42%) Total money squirrelled away/NOT wasted in 2018 2067.31 frugal budget 2018 2996/3800 Aiming for debt free at 40 - only 27 months to go!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin