Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 5th Mar 18, 1:36 AM
    • 1,394Posts
    • 3,126Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Indoor CCTV
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:36 AM
    Indoor CCTV 5th Mar 18 at 1:36 AM
    I live by myself in a flat. Over the coming weeks I will be regularly spending a few nights per week away due to being needed by other relatives in terms of care (and I'm happy to help).

I also have 3 holidays planned this year that will mean I will be away for a week or 10 days at a time.

Last week I had a forced entry from the London Fire Brigade and they left a note saying my bathroom sink was leaking - I'm not sure I 100% believe this but I will need to speak with them this week to find out what happened (neighbours do not answer to my knocks). This really left me shaken as my flat is left empty all day while I work.

There is only 6 flats in my block and I do worry that neighbours can clock when I'm in or not.

Anyway, I would like to install some sort of cctv inside my flat and be able to access it via an app or online whenever I wish to. I have had a browse on amazon and there is so much there. I'm also suspicious about all these good reviews 'in exchange for a discount on the product'.

My requirement are:

-It is easy to set up, literally just plug and pair with phone/app.
    -I can login to it an anytime.
    -It doesn't need to always record but I would like it to record as soon as it detects movement - It would also be handy to record sound at this point too.
    -It can have night vision.
    -It is not fiddly to turn off when I am in.

I only need one camera to put in the hallway and monitor mainly the front door, I don't think it's necessary to have one in each room.

Does anyone have a indoor cctv that they can personally recommend?
Page 1
    • WaywardDriver
    • By WaywardDriver 5th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    WaywardDriver
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    Search Amazon for pet monitoring camera. The one I bought works well and meets your requirements. Specific model no longer on Amazon but similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Security-Monitor-Detection-Instant/dp/B073R8TBN7/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1520235723&sr =1-2&keywords=pet+monitoring+camera.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 7,332 Posts
    • 3,792 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    I looks like you have to choose between big brand names with monthly cloud subscriptions to store your motion detected clips, or no-name brands direct from China that offer a bit of free cloud, but are more complicated to configure and you never know how long they are supported for.

IIRC Y-Cam brand (who do offer a decent hardware product) recently incensed its customers by suddenly introducing subscriptions on its previous free basic cloud storage.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 26,972 Posts
    • 10,866 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    The problem with cloud based items is when the company decide to stop the service.

Im sure there was a thread quite recently naming a company that will be stopping its cloud service.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • steviebabes
    • By steviebabes 5th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    steviebabes
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    I have one of these, works very well and easy to set up. Needs phone power adapter and long micro USB cable if not near a power outlet.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clever-Dog-Surveillance-Detection-Smartphone/dp/B072QS2GQL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520241522&sr=8-2&keywords=clever+dog+smart+camera
    • DavidFx
    • By DavidFx 5th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    DavidFx
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    If you have an old smartphone, there are plenty of apps which will convert it to a WiFi connected security camera.
    • es5595
    • By es5595 5th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    es5595
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    I have a canary camera indoors and itís pretty good. The quality (day and night) is good, it plugs in so no worrying about batteries etc, and the app user interface is good. It looks good, and the majority of visitors have no idea itís actually a camera. You can also speak through it, although this isnít so great, and if someone does get in, you can set off a siren. Finally, to get full functionality you need a subscription, so you must account for this.

Secondly, I have a ring video doorbell, and this is also highly recommended (so much so I bought my Mum one for Christmas). Itís battery powered, and even in cold weather my battery lasts about three weeks. When someone rings the doorbell, it comes up as a notification on your phone, and it can also notify you (and automatically records a 30s clip) when motion is detected. Once again, it really needs a subscription for full functionality.

Unless youíre really in a rush, Iíd try and hold out for the next amazon prime day (assuming youíre a member or know someone who is!) because they often give big discounts on the cameras then.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 5th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    Thanks guys, I'll check out the amazon link later as I'm restricted from work.

I really do not wish to have a subscription or any ongoing costs, what about ones that take SD cards? I don't intend for it to constantly record, only when it detects movement. I want to be able to login and see it 'live' whenever I want.

While I'm away the only movement that might trigger off a recording is when the postman shove letters through the letterbox and that lasts a few seconds. I will also be having a friend stay over from abroad for a week in May (she and her partner and child will be staying there while I stay with my parents) so to protect her privacy I'll be switching it off (or taking it down) during that week.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 20,157 Posts
    • 15,880 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:21 PM

Im sure there was a thread quite recently naming a company that will be stopping its cloud service.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    If it's the one that I remember (I think it was in PV&W) didn't they stop the free for life cloud service and wanted people to start paying for it instead?
    • teleaddict
    • By teleaddict 8th Mar 18, 12:17 AM
    • 200 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    teleaddict
    I had a play with my raspberry pi a while back & set up a basic CCTV system utilising a webcam with the pi using "motion eye". It recorded footage following motion detection. Footage is viewed via a web browser, so can be accessed remotely (including on your mobile). The software can also be configured to email you when motion is detected.
    My £2 savings total for 2007 = £92, for 2008 = £124
    My savings from money off coupons for 2007 = £67.97, for 2008 = £194.79
    My £2 savings for 2009 (so far) = £130
    My savings from money off coupons for 2009 = £593.08
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 8th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    Thanks guys, I'll check out the amazon link later as I'm restricted from work.

I really do not wish to have a subscription or any ongoing costs, what about ones that take SD cards? I don't intend for it to constantly record, only when it detects movement. I want to be able to login and see it 'live' whenever I want.

While I'm away the only movement that might trigger off a recording is when the postman shove letters through the letterbox and that lasts a few seconds. I will also be having a friend stay over from abroad for a week in May (she and her partner and child will be staying there while I stay with my parents) so to protect her privacy I'll be switching it off (or taking it down) during that week.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    As has already been said, I think you'll be able to find something on Amazon that meets your requirements easily enough for less than £40. For example, I picked up a "Keekoon" brand IP camera from Amazon a couple of years ago that fills all your requirements - takes an SD card for recording, motion triggered recording and alerts, pairs with an app on your phone for live viewing, night vision. The sound quality in the app isn't great, but I haven't tried recording to an SD card. A quick look suggests there are plenty of options to choose from.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 8th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 13,108 Posts
    • 11,182 Thanks
    paddyrg
    I bought a StarCam/Eye4 for £25 on ebay, it's been working brilliantly for 3 years, and it's now just £18. Night and day, pan/tilt/zoom, motion detection, phone app accessible, records to SD card, 720p quality.

Edit - just to say don't worry too much about price, some of the cheapo units can be pretty remarkable
    • dogfonos
    • By dogfonos 8th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dogfonos
    Interesting thread. I'm new to these domestic CCTV systems so I may have missed something but one thing strikes me: wouldn't an undesirable who forced entry simply remove the memory card from the camera? And, as already said, cloud storage is beyond your control.

Is there a system that would allow recordings to be stored on a wireless NAS that could be hidden somewhere?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin