Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 180Posts
    • 173Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    What would put you off a house...?
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    What would put you off a house...? 4th Mar 18 at 11:20 PM
    I've just read the fake grass thread, and it got me thinking.
    What kind of things would be a deal breaker for you?
    I don't mean terrible area/apalling neighbours/massive cracks in the roof and water left to pour in for months etc.
    More like - is a bit of peeling wallpaper ok? Original period windows that could do with some love? Is double glazing a must? Carpets the colour of a Dairy Milk bar? No shower in the bathroom? An unloved garden?
    What do people expect to have to do when they buy a (not new built) house?
Page 8
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 31,633 Posts
    • 19,959 Thanks
    DCFC79
    We had a house with the kitchen at the front and I must say I loved it. It was in cul de sac so not very busy.
    Originally posted by Waterlily24
    This 1 isnt in a cul de sac but a quiet street.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 23,996 Thanks
    Slinky
    We had a house with the kitchen at the front and I must say I loved it. It was in cul de sac so not very busy.
    Originally posted by Waterlily24

Our new house has this, it's rented out at the moment, but in the few weeks we spent there doing it up, I spent quite a lot of time in kitchen just looking down the culdesac to the park at the end of the road just watching people doing their thing. I'm looking forward to that view.
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 12th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    Don't really like houses with kitchen at the front because I have young child. Want to be able to see it while playing in the garden. And also having an easy access to the kitchen when dining in the garden.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 12th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    That wouldn't bother me at all DCFC79, but as others have said maybe resale would be a bit trickier...?
    I think it's a nice layout. I think more people baulk at having the main bathroom downstairs or the rooms are too small etc than would refuse a house cos the kitchen is at the front.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 12th Mar 18, 11:07 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Thanks for that TamsinC. Seems like we got lucky with our houses but then we never had to deal with outside contractors to sort any problems out. We certainly never had a problem like you've described, fingers crossed it gets sorted out soon!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 31,633 Posts
    • 19,959 Thanks
    DCFC79
    What about a kitchen without a sink but 1 in the utility room like here, find it weird myself, a sink should be in the kitchen. Ive looked at the 2 kitchen photos and cant see a sink that's obvious nor 1 mentioned in the description.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 17,374 Posts
    • 15,705 Thanks
    AdrianC
    What about a kitchen without a sink but 1 in the utility room like here, find it weird myself, a sink should be in the kitchen. Ive looked at the 2 kitchen photos and cant see a sink that's obvious nor 1 mentioned in the description.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    About 10 years ago, we looked at a freshly redeveloped £1m house near to where we used to live - no intention (or ability!) to buy it, but that's what open days are for, right...?

The kitchen was lovely. Huge island... but... only a tiny sink, about big enough to rinse a tomato in. But there's a utility room there. Oh. Hold on. Nope, none there at all. <shrug>
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 19th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    It is a little weird but I could live with it, it helps that there appears to be no door between the kitchen and the utility room, just a doorway.

I would never consider that house though due to the badly overlooked garden.
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 19th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    It would make me think: "damn, immediate kitchen refit needed'. It would also signal that I needed to check the house carefully for similar oddities. It wouldn't deter me from buying a house I really liked (price adjusted for the necessary changes).
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    • 31,633 Posts
    • 19,959 Thanks
    DCFC79
    It is a little weird but I could live with it, it helps that there appears to be no door between the kitchen and the utility room, just a doorway.

I would never consider that house though due to the badly overlooked garden.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    A washing machine and a tumble dryer/fridge in the utility room yes but not a sink, well its the first time Ive seen it. Id find it annoying having to move any pots/pans etc into the utility room when it should be in the kitchen so close to hand.

Yes the garden is badly overlooked.

It would make me think: "damn, immediate kitchen refit needed'. It would also signal that I needed to check the house carefully for similar oddities. It wouldn't deter me from buying a house I really liked (price adjusted for the necessary changes).
    Originally posted by DairyQueen
    I'm currently looking for my first property to buy and this ticks most boxes, the kitchen would need adjusting, would prefer not to have the cost of doing major works.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 19-03-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 20th Mar 18, 6:45 AM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    Kim kim
    THE kitchen hasn’t many cupboards, hence everything is piled on top of the cupboards. I really dislike their busy messy kitchen, probably like that because of lack of storage.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 18, 7:01 AM
    • 15,602 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    The thing that strikes me about the sinkless-kitchen house is the first impression of it is "Oh it's not a semi. It's a detached - EA's don't usually 'under-describe' houses".

But one can see from photo of back garden (which, indeed, is very overlooked) is that it is a semi in fact.

Well that means = Where's the boundary between the two front gardens then? There's absolutely nothing to differentiate - other than a change of surface from "concrete garden" to grass and I could see that being a bit awkward for both. I'd just have to stick up a dwarf brick wall if I were in either of those houses.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 25,043 Posts
    • 92,568 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Well that means = Where's the boundary between the two front gardens then? There's absolutely nothing to differentiate - other than a change of surface from "concrete garden" to grass and I could see that being a bit awkward for both. I'd just have to stick up a dwarf brick wall if I were in either of those houses.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It's a new-fangled thing called 'open plan,' money. Became popular in the 1970s.

All the properties in the road where we rented 10 years ago were like that. It didn't create any awkwardness at all, even though many of the boundaries were in lawns. Indeed, I used to cut some grass of the elderly couple next door, rather than leaving an odd long bit.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 15,602 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Seems very odd on a row of just 2 houses - and not a longer row worth imo.

Guessing that most of us like to know what's "ours" and we can do as we decide with it (within reason - ie not leylandii then) and what's "theirs" (so we can't touch it).

There are worse situations I guess - ie where I've come across a pair of semis that were both for sale and I viewed them and asked in both houses as to who the hedge on the grass between them belonged to. They both said they didn't know. Which would have left me wondering whether I could or couldn't do what I pleased to the hedge (which would have been to remove it and put that shortie brick wall there).
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 20th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    dunroving

Guessing that most of us like to know what's "ours" and we can do as we decide with it (within reason - ie not leylandii then) and what's "theirs" (so we can't touch it).

There are worse situations I guess - ie where I've come across a pair of semis that were both for sale and I viewed them and asked in both houses as to who the hedge on the grass between them belonged to. They both said they didn't know. Which would have left me wondering whether I could or couldn't do what I pleased to the hedge (which would have been to remove it and put that shortie brick wall there).
    After living at my current house (semi-detached) for a year or two, during which I trimmed both sides of the box hedge separating me from next door, the neighbour beckoned me over one day.

"When are you going to do something about THAT?!?" he said, waving his finger in the general direction of the two houses).

"What?" I asked.

"THAT," he repeated, more clearly pointing towards the hedge.

After a somewhat awkward conversation, he claimed that the hedge had been planted by Harry (original owner of the house whose son I bought the house from, and who had been, apparently, a keen gardener with meticulous lawn, etc.).

The hedge is actually planted dead centre between the two houses - how was I supposed to know it was my responsibility? There was I thinking I was being a good neighbour, cutting "their" side every time.

It didn't even look that bad at the time. Ironically, his front lawn is a dandelion farm!
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 20th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    I'm currently looking for my first property to buy and this ticks most boxes, the kitchen would need adjusting, would prefer not to have the cost of doing major works.
    A first purchase, in particular, always involves compromises so I think you are doing absolutely the right thing by getting on the ladder asap. My stepdaughter has been in a position to buy for over two years but is delaying as her expectations are so high. She believes that a property crash will occur at some point and that will open the way for her to buy a property that is closer to her idea of perfection.

Big mistake.

This is a long-term investment and trying to time the property market is as difficult as trying to time the stock market. The important thing is to make that initial investment.

If there is a water supply somewhere in that kitchen I don't think it would be a costly refit. You don't need to do the full monty. The priority would be to install a sink somewhere in the kitchen. If you can stretch to it perhaps change/paint the cabinet doors and handles and replace the worktops. Any storage issues can be addressed in several ways.

I would be very surprised if the house wasn't originally built with a sink in the kitchen. Chances are that the water inlet has been capped and it's lurking somewhere.

Definitely worth seeking quotes for the sink and then perhaps make a cheeky offer. The lack of a sink will deter lots of people and so will the mess. Ignore the mess and any other cosmetics, You could transform that house with a bit of elbow grease and some paint.

Yes, it's overlooked but that's probably reflected in the price. It's likely to be one reason why it's in your price range.

I wouldn't be deterred by the lack of a kitchen sink. It's a great bargaining point. You could make an instant profit just by fixing that issue. Just make sure that you buy at the right price. The owner's failure to address such an obvious issue suggests they are lazy and would rather take a price reduction than fix the problem themselves. That reduction should be much more than the cost you would pay.

Good luck.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 25,043 Posts
    • 92,568 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Well open plan was how many estates went, though in many cases people broke the covenant enforcing it as soon as the builders were gone.

In the road where we rented they were all detached houses (current values £600k +) and the fact that the open lawns were still there 40 years on suggested that it hadn't been a big issue to the residents. The open expanses of grass supported a lot of mature trees and merged with communal areas, which wouldn't have appealed to you either!
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 20th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://www.ftadviser.com/mortgages/2018/03/20/property-market-hampered-by-time-wasters/

More and more being put off by price it seems
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 20th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    dunroving
    For goodness sake, play another tune. The thread is about property preferences, not house prices in London.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 20th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Most people nowadays would prefer to pay less for their property, a lot less, that is the consequence of allowing a massive housing/credit bubble to get out of hand, and many are instantly put off by a price that seems too high, irrespective of the great features the house may have...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

903Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin