Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 186Posts
    • 177Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    What would put you off a house...?
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    What would put you off a house...? 4th Mar 18 at 11:20 PM
    I've just read the fake grass thread, and it got me thinking.
    What kind of things would be a deal breaker for you?
    I don't mean terrible area/apalling neighbours/massive cracks in the roof and water left to pour in for months etc.
    More like - is a bit of peeling wallpaper ok? Original period windows that could do with some love? Is double glazing a must? Carpets the colour of a Dairy Milk bar? No shower in the bathroom? An unloved garden?
    What do people expect to have to do when they buy a (not new built) house?
Page 6
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 15,628 Posts
    • 43,365 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Nope, we're in the south east! We have considered having the house painted but we'll see what happens first. We have a couple of viewings today and another couple lined up for the weekend...
    Originally posted by KittenChops
    It is astonishing just what difference it makes.

Even when a house is painted anyway and is just getting re-painted (in a neutral colour either way) - it does make quite a difference....and comments will come out about "Good kerb appeal".
    WAY TO GO IRELAND! - WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY

• By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 15,628 Posts
    • 43,365 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It's Celsius glass, I expect, which we have, and the rest of our conservatory's built to building regs, so even the floor's insulated.

Many conservatories are badly built though, which is why they get the reputation they have, especially when installed by a cowboy firm. Those are numerous in an essentially unregulated industry.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    ...and if anyone ever comes across a nationwide conservatory firm - with VERY strict indeed "keep the franchise to our standard - or else we'll kill 'em and you don't have to" stuff happening - it could be the difference between thinking "Don't wanna go there re all that potential hassle" and "Right - how much? - I'll have it...".

• By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 15,628 Posts
    • 43,365 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Out of interest why do stairs in the living room put people off so much?
    Originally posted by LadyL2013
    In my case - all my paid-for "heat" heading straight up the stairs (followed by wondering if I'd be feeling cold in my sitting room) and the style these staircases are often done to doesn't look very safe to me (eg no backs to the treads).

It's also nice to be able to feel cosied-up in one distinct room of a night where the weather is awful - so, for much of the country, people would want to know they were cosily enclosed within 4 walls and feeling "cosy".

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,759 Thanks
    AdrianC
    ...and if anyone ever comes across a nationwide conservatory firm - with VERY strict indeed "keep the franchise to our standard - or else we'll kill 'em and you don't have to" stuff happening - it could be the difference between thinking "Don't wanna go there re all that potential hassle" and "Right - how much? - I'll have it...".
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Isn't the easy option just to use a local small firm, where their rep is based on THEIR work...?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 31,689 Posts
    • 19,985 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I'm currently looking at buying my first property and have come to realise that:

I like the idea of an open plan kitchen/diner (or at least an option to close it off eg in the winter).
    An option to extend the kitchen at some point in the future
    I prefer a traditional staircase and not a metal winding one.
    Ive not considered the staircase in the living room as an issue in terms of heat etc, as it would be just myself then it may be ok.
    No garage and no drive
    Would prefer not on a direct road so a Cul de sac.
    I don't want a project like a complete refurb top to bottom but if a bathroom was needing replacing then its something I would accept.
    A living room with a massive hole in the wall where a TV bracket had been and some kind of filler is coming out of the hole.
    Must be on the outskirts of town.
    A really untidy garden, again as mentioned above Im not afraid of some work needing doing.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 07-03-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 25,060 Posts
    • 92,623 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Isn't the easy option just to use a local small firm, where their rep is based on THEIR work...?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Sadly, not always. I believe that's probably the best route but....

The local firm we used have been in business with the same directors for 40 years and have glowing Trustpilot reviews, which is why we selected them.

Long story short, they were probably as bad as many of the national firms using contracted labour, but eventually we got most of what we'd agreed to pay for, properly erected. For the bits we didn't get, because they just wanted to do their usual thing, we deducted £4k and asked the GGF to arbitrate.

We didn't hear from them or the GGF again.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • kiss_me_now9
    • By kiss_me_now9 7th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    kiss_me_now9
    Downstairs bathrooms. Just why.
    Masters OT student
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 7th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    I'm not saying that it's a beautiful house... I'm saying the roughcast finish is nice, clean, neat and will last a long time without maintenance.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 7th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    There are conservatories and conservatories.

Ours is better built than most, so today it was heating the house.

Even last week, when it was -6c outside and blowing a gale, we were working in the conservatory, kept at a reasonable 19c by the wood burner in the living room. Admittedly our fuel for that's mostly free, but we were slightly amazed by the ease in which we were able to use the conservatory in such inclement conditions.

Christmas dinner was in there too, so I'm not sure when these unusable months are? Maybe in the evenings of winter, because we wouldn't heat then, when there are other warm rooms.
    Indeed. Our conservatory is a 365-day a year room too, especially now that I put in a 50mm insulated ceiling. The doors to the kitchen are now left permanently open as the radiators in there keep it the same temp as the rest of the house no problem. It's the kids play room, social gathering room and special occasion dining room.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 7th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 30,592 Posts
    • 57,831 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    It's Celsius glass, I expect, which we have, and the rest of our conservatory's built to building regs, so even the floor's insulated.

Many conservatories are badly built though, which is why they get the reputation they have, especially when installed by a cowboy firm. Those are numerous in an essentially unregulated industry.
    Yes, our floor is insulated, we had the conservatory built in September 2015 and it is totally compliant with building regs. We have the certificate!!

I think you need to treat conservatories as proper extensions if you want them to be usable rooms. If you just stick a greenhouse on the end of a room then it won't be thermally efficient.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 07-03-2018 at 9:26 PM.
    • kylej64
    • By kylej64 7th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    kylej64
    I guess I'm alone not liking conservatories. Though with what has been said I may rethink my stance on them (maybe my friends all got them on the cheep, lol).
    • Judi
    • By Judi 8th Mar 18, 5:57 AM
    • 16,128 Posts
    • 70,144 Thanks
    Judi
    Originally posted by kiss_me_now9
    I've lived in a house with a downstairs bathroom all my life and can't see the problem.

All 'dirty' areas are on one level and when I'm too old and decrepit to go up the stairs, I can just use the one level.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Mar 18, 6:02 AM
    • 25,060 Posts
    • 92,623 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I guess I'm alone not liking conservatories. Though with what has been said I may rethink my stance on them (maybe my friends all got them on the cheep, lol).
    Originally posted by kylej64
    Many people expect a 24/7 x 365 building at half the price of a real extension, which isn't realistic. They then expect people to do a first class job without any building inspector overseeing their work. Again, given human nature, often unrealistic.

There's the potential for lots to go wrong and for corners to be cut, especially in areas that add to the cost but can't be seen.

Also, these things need to be designed, not just to keep heat in, but to get rid of it too, when necessary. Sales persons are not interested or usually qualified in design or practicality; all they want is your name on the contract!
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Mar 18, 6:08 AM
    • 25,060 Posts
    • 92,623 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by kiss_me_now9
    Many houses were built at a time when they weren't bog-standard, hence they were add-ons.
    • jungle jane
    • By jungle jane 8th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    jungle jane
    • I don't like reverse houses - where the living is upstairs and the bedrooms downstairs.
    • I also wish i didn't live in house that has lousy refuse collection (we have to use 4 different bags - I long for the days of wheelie bins)
    • I don't like houses where the road layout means you have to walk the long way around just to get to a shop - we are lucky with the amount of footpaths we have in Cornwall
    • i don't like houses where your driveway is obscured so entering/leaving is tricky - for example on a bend
    • I don't like houses where neighbours can influence my enjoyment - eg a tree obscuring my sunlight or "their" fence being insufficient
    • I don't like houses with no doorbell (although that is easily fixed)

Our major concern when looking for a house is whether it is cat friendly - that means decent garden with fences, no busy road, place you can put catflaps and lots of soil for them to do their business
    • Judi
    • By Judi 8th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,128 Posts
    • 70,144 Thanks
    Judi
    Many houses were built at a time when they weren't bog-standard, hence they were add-ons.
    yeah, my bathroom was a walk in pantry and outside toilet.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • ceb1995
    • By ceb1995 8th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    ceb1995
    we're just bought our first home and the things i didnt want were:
    houses with less than three bedrooms (as we're hoping we could have two children someday)
    no garden
    no space for outside storage
    terraced
    and we had a specific search area but otherwise that was it.
    So our house is a 3 bed 80's semi with garden, garage and greenhouse where the only thing indoors that we aren't changing over time is the fire place and where the majority of the doors are.
    Current mortgage balance: 141,197.82
    original end date: 12th march 2058
    End date goal: 12th march 2045
    • catkins
    • By catkins 8th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 5,517 Posts
    • 11,738 Thanks
    catkins
    I don't like front doors opening straight into the living room. I am not even really keen on just a porch. I like a proper hallway.

Having lived in a house for 12 years with the stairs in the living room, I would never ever choose another house with the same layout. The living room was always cold in winter even with the heating on full blast. The landing though was like a sauna!

Also it means sound travels too much. I go to bed earlier most nights than my husband and I could always hear the tv even when he had the sound quite low.

Rooms that are too dark as they make me feel depressed.

Also my last house was between 2 schools - never again. The lazy selfish parents awful parking (even on yellow lines) drove me mad plus I could never walk my dog when they were all going to or from school as they just refused to allow room on the pavement. I ended up walking in the road
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 31,689 Posts
    • 19,985 Thanks
    DCFC79

Also my last house was between 2 schools - never again. The lazy selfish parents awful parking (even on yellow lines) drove me mad plus I could never walk my dog when they were all going to or from school as they just refused to allow room on the pavement. I ended up walking in the road
    Originally posted by catkins
    Yes that's another thing as well reading about the bad parking has put me off from buying too close to a school.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 10th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    I've just caught up reading all the responses, it's been a great read
    Stuff I never even thought of is now on my 'important things' list.

It's also made me realise that the things I think would put buyers off about our house are barely going to register (if we get the right viewers/buyers). E.g. I'm not ripping out the kitchen or bathroom, even though they're about as old as I am, but are clean and functional.

No-one's mentioned cellars though... Even if they are properly done and damp proofed etc, aren't they still just a bit creepy...? *shudder
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,014Posts Today

5,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin