Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 186Posts
    • 177Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    What would put you off a house...?
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    What would put you off a house...? 4th Mar 18 at 11:20 PM
    I've just read the fake grass thread, and it got me thinking.
    What kind of things would be a deal breaker for you?
    I don't mean terrible area/apalling neighbours/massive cracks in the roof and water left to pour in for months etc.
    More like - is a bit of peeling wallpaper ok? Original period windows that could do with some love? Is double glazing a must? Carpets the colour of a Dairy Milk bar? No shower in the bathroom? An unloved garden?
    What do people expect to have to do when they buy a (not new built) house?
Page 4
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 6th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I can't think of many things on the actual house that would put me off, most things can be changed. For me it would all be location and outside related. Busy road, shared access, commercial neighbours & not enough plot to buffer if next door decide to build to the boundary.
    My last house had a lovely hallway but narrow rooms as a result, this house has a lobby and wider room space and frankly we have not missed a hallway, in fact it seems a bit of a waste of expensive square metres.
    I would also be put of by a newly refurbished or new kitchen & bathroom because I know from experience that it is likely to be a cheap to sell job. This house had a new bathroom that had to be taken out because it leaked.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    dunroving
    What's wrong with bungalows????
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Having lived in the US for many years, where single-storey houses are not only common but the norm, I was surprised at the amount of distaste a lot of people show in the UK to bungalows. I've seen almost a sneering snobbery towards them at times.

I owned two "brick ranches" (essentially bungalows) in NC and TN and loved both of them. They just had a great flow when moving around inside, and when moving from inside to the garden.

They seem to be associated with being old here, I suppose because of the single-level design. I have noticed when searching for houses that they often also have less floor space and a smaller garden than many two-storey houses, which for me is more of an issue than being single-storey per se.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 25,061 Posts
    • 92,623 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Having lived in the US for many years, where single-storey houses are not only common but the norm, I was surprised at the amount of distaste a lot of people show in the UK to bungalows. I've seen almost a sneering snobbery towards them at times.

They seem to be associated with being old here..
    Originally posted by dunroving
    I can't claim to be young.

In this area, there are many similar places to ours, built after the War to give young farmers a leg up, so 'old folk' isn't necessarily what comes to mind here.

For example, here's one, but they're a few years further on with the garden landscaping than we are!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61001107.html
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 6th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    I don't have that many dealbreakers.

But there are some things that stop me dead:
    • Shared access - just too many opportunities for drawn-out, annoying problems
    • Drive sloping steeply towards the house - water collection, can't get off it in winter, etc.
    • Bizarre room access - e.g. bathroom only accessible through bedroom
    • Any amount or area of concrete in the garden - it's a huge pain in the bum to remove

There's another list of things that, whilst not dealbreakers in their own right, go in the "negative" column:
    • Open-plan kitchen/dining/living areas. Sometimes curry smells need to stay in the kitchen!
    • Steps/changes of level on a single floor
    • Stairs in the living room
    • any loft/dormer access that doesn't have proper stairs - too old for ladders and that sort of thing
    • Rendered/pebble-dashed exterior walls. I prefer the look of brickwork.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 6th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 6,080 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    "Over-priced" is the biggest deal breaker for people nowadays IMO.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 6th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    "Over-priced" is the biggest deal breaker for people nowadays IMO.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    surprise surprise!!!
    Family of 4 plus cat & pup!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 6th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6,080 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    surprise surprise!!!
    Originally posted by spendinglikemad

No, not really a surprise, many predicted this would happen
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 6th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aliby21
    Newly done up kitchen/bathroom. Inevitably won't be what I would like, but I couldn't justify ripping out. In fact any sort of newly done up would put me off.

On the other hand, neglect would also put me off! Dirt, minor things obviously not fixed, I'd think there was going to be a lot else wrong

Extensions at the back turning some original rooms into internal gloomy windowless boxes.

Garden that is mostly concrete

Another one who would be put off by open plan

En suite. I realise i am likely to be in a minority here, but really don't like them. Or any version of too many loos to clean.

Stairs ending by the front door, so you have to walk across the doormat in your slippers. Though the house I've now bought has just this, so I guess if everything else is right being put off by something doesn't mean it is a complete deal breaker.
    Last edited by aliby21; 06-03-2018 at 2:53 PM.
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 6th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    Still waiting to move in to my new house but

My search criteria changed quite a lot as I viewed different properties
    Stated off wanting a couch house or 2 bed flat with garage very low maintenance inc outside
    I,m a widowed man with motorbikes so I need a garage/workshop shed or the space to build one
    I,ve ended up buying a semi detached 1997 2 bed house
    The things that I realised I actually wanted was
    Freehold
    A driveway
    A conservatory
    A rear garden that can host both a garage and a seating area
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 6th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Newly done up kitchen/bathroom. Inevitably won't be what I would like, but I couldn't justify ripping out. In fact any sort of newly done up would put me off.
    Originally posted by aliby21
    It's strange, but this bothers me too. It shouldn't, but it does. If I see a house on Rightmove with a 90s kitchen I immediately think "i'd rip that out" but when I see a new kitchen that isn't to my taste my first reaction is "oh that's a shame" - almost like I can't rip it out because it's new, therefore wouldn't consider it. Which is strange, because ultimately if the price is right, it shouldn't make a difference whether I rip out a 20 year old kitchen or a 6month old one, but psychologically I tell myself the latter can't happen!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 15,630 Posts
    • 43,373 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Downstairs bathroom only. Pain having to go downstairs in the middle of the night and traipse downstairs and back up to have a shower.

On street parking if the street is always busy for obvious reasons.

On a main road. Death trap for the cat.
    Originally posted by LadyL2013
    Just goes to prove how much personal preferences come into it.

I've read this - and lots of others going "Parking.....parking....parking" and the requirements you are bringing up.

But - personally - parking is very much lower on my list of priorities (don't have a car and my visitors parking is their responsibility imo). So - ideally - parking would be ok for my visitors - but I am going to deal with my own personal requirements first.

Cat - okay...I like cats...but I'm not sure whether I'll ever actually get one personally....so don't have to take that into account (can fully understand if Puss is a member of the family....).

Downstairs bathroom - not a big deal for me personally and would barely register. Ideally I'd like an en suite bathroom for my bedroom and A.N.Other bathroom somewhere or other in the house. But it's not a big deal to me personally.
    WAY TO GO IRELAND! - WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY

• Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 6th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Cat - okay...I like cats...but I'm not sure whether I'll ever actually get one personally....so don't have to take that into account (can fully understand if Puss is a member of the family....).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    We've had two new additions to the family recently, and I must admit, it does add an extra dimension when looking at properties. I do find myself saying "it's too close to a main road" but then even "could we fit a catflap in that door"
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 15,630 Posts
    • 43,373 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Still waiting to move in to my new house but

My search criteria changed quite a lot as I viewed different properties
    Stated off wanting a couch house or 2 bed flat with garage very low maintenance inc outside
    I,m a widowed man with motorbikes so I need a garage/workshop shed or the space to build one
    I,ve ended up buying a semi detached 1997 2 bed house
    The things that I realised I actually wanted was
    Freehold
    A driveway
    A conservatory
    A rear garden that can host both a garage and a seating area
    Originally posted by Akahotpot
    ..and the thing one shouldn't even have to bother to specify because "Of course that's how things are - obviously" here being freehold...

and the other blindingly obvious one being "Of course the Council deal with their responsibilities - ie the road and communal areas are adopted of course - and it's down to them".

• kittie
    • By kittie 6th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 11,994 Posts
    • 75,067 Thanks
    kittie
    I have seen a stunning build today but the garden was small with a poor orientation and not enough room for my workshop tools. The deal breaker was when I saw that the obviously disgruntled neighbour had planted a complete row of leylandii right up against her rickety fence, right on the boundary. I walked away
    • Tootling
    • By Tootling 6th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tootling
    Interesting replies coming from people.

For me I think what put us off houses were...

On main road. Too noisy!

Too isolated... I don't drive so although i wouldn't mind living somewhere remote i would be trapped. It has limited us which has been annoying.

In need of too much updating or too much work. We wouldn't be able to afford it or have patience. I don't mean simply not looking the kitchen...

Gaudy wallpaper such as I've seen. Yuck. I guess if the rest of the house was perfect and nothing else compared... I would not let that put me off. But if the choice was between horrid wallpaper and less offensive decor I'd go for the least offensive.

Door that leads straight onto living room as people have said. Feels insecure.

No gas. I like cooking on gas. Although i guess that is something i could have overcome.

Septic tanks or oil heating.

Wood burners.

Open plans.

No off street parking

Terraced

Too much social housing.

And i know this shouldn't put me off.. but going into a house that doesn't feel like a home. With barely any furnishings or old tat that looks like they've just been bought from a charity shop. It makes me wonder if they actually enjoyed living there.

I don't mind a room which is used for an odd purpose but i also hate seeing things given away to junk with stuff just thrown in. Just get rid of it!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,760 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Too isolated... I don't drive so although i wouldn't mind living somewhere remote i would be trapped. It has limited us which has been annoying.
    Originally posted by Tootling
    Assuming it's not a medical restriction, that one's easy to address.
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 6th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    ..and the thing one shouldn't even have to bother to specify because "Of course that's how things are - obviously" here being freehold...
    It my part of world NW its not that easy to avoid leasehold property's if fact the house I sold was leasehold but 999 years £5 a year with a absent landlord so until my buying journey and being on this forum I didn't think leasehold was an issue ...but there are leaseholds and there are leaseholds
    • new_owner
    • By new_owner 6th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    new_owner
    Nothing shared...So No

Terrace
    Semi
    access
    leasehold

Bedrooms that are all double and I mean you can get off the bed on all sides and not a double bed thats been wedged into a room.

Separate rooms ... No Open Plan from lounge to kitchen.
    Proper Usable Ensuites

Correct number of bedrooms .. Not turning part of the living space into a something/bedroom
    Garage I can get my car into and not just use for storage
    Driveway for 2-3
    No Flood Zone
    No Fake grass
    No serious crime
    No tiny gardens with mostly paved areas
    No big shops nearby
    No pubs/cafes/etc nearby
    No main roads outside the house/garden

Has to be in close walking of - river/canal or sea and woods etc
    Last edited by new_owner; 06-03-2018 at 5:14 PM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 15,630 Posts
    • 43,373 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It my part of world NW its not that easy to avoid leasehold property's if fact the house I sold was leasehold but 999 years £5 a year with a absent landlord so until my buying journey and being on this forum I didn't think leasehold was an issue ...but there are leaseholds and there are leaseholds
    Originally posted by Akahotpot
    Indeed - there are "leaseholds in theory" and "leaseholds in practice (ie the exploitative modern-day version)".

Admits I'd stop and hesitate a bit about the old style version - as this isn't something we are familiar with in my part of the country (ie I'd never heard of it until this forum). I would refuse pointblank to buy a house with the modern-day version.

• kylej64
    • By kylej64 6th Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    kylej64
    I am about to try and sell my flat and purchase a house in a few weeks, and I've actually been thinking about this for quite a while. For me the deal breakers would be:

No off-road parking (I don't want to come home after a long day at work and then have to waste time trying find somewhere to park). Though loads of cars parked on the road in the evenings and weekends would also put me off but not a definite deal breaker.

No upstairs toilet. I could live with the bathroom being downstairs but navigating stairs in the middle of the night if I need to pee would be a definite NO!

Small garden with no direct sunlight. Orientation isn't the relevant factor as a long North facing garden where the back half has direct sun would be ok. A medium south facing garden where large trees to the south are cutting of all/most of the light would rule a house out.

Bad speed bumps. The three going across the road are fine, the ones that run the entire width of the road are usually only a little irritating but some of those are just too big. Last time I was looking to buy I spent a day driving round places I'd seen on Rightmove to deciding what I wanted to view. One of the places (small 2 bed house) had a horrendous bump that scrapped my car as I drove over it. On the way back I took it at 10 mph and still scrapped my exhaust. I wouldn't have bought that even if they had halved the price.

I have a massive list of negative things that would make me less inclined but the top few are:

Conservatories, I just don't get putting a glass room that is cold and unusable for half the year unless you spend a fortune heating it at the back of your house. Also, I'd rather have the space in the garden.

Near a school, not for the school itself, I have lived near them before and they don't bother me. What I hate is the army of parents parking everywhere making the roads impassable twice a day.

On a major road, as I want to be able to sit and relax in my garden for the 7-14 days of the British summer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,354Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin