Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 180Posts
    • 172Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    What would put you off a house...?
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    What would put you off a house...? 4th Mar 18 at 11:20 PM
    I've just read the fake grass thread, and it got me thinking.
    What kind of things would be a deal breaker for you?
    I don't mean terrible area/apalling neighbours/massive cracks in the roof and water left to pour in for months etc.
    More like - is a bit of peeling wallpaper ok? Original period windows that could do with some love? Is double glazing a must? Carpets the colour of a Dairy Milk bar? No shower in the bathroom? An unloved garden?
    What do people expect to have to do when they buy a (not new built) house?
Page 2
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 5th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Open plan living/ktichen/diner is the only thing that makes me instantly press the "back" button on rightmove. I like the idea of being able to stick the dishwasher and washing machine on, then shut the door so I don't have to turn up the TV to drown out the sound! In open plan houses you don't have this luxury.

Off-road parking isn't a MUST for me, but only if parking looks easily obtainable on the street nearby. A house where the street is always full of cars would be a no go. My ex's University house was in a terraced street and sometimes i'd have to park 3 streets away!! That would be 100% a deal breaker for me!

Apart from that, i'd consider most things knowing that over time you can do what you want with it.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 5th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Some fab replies, stuff I didn’t think about! Garden all on one level for eg. I’d not buy a house with stairs in the living room, or all open plan. Kitchen sounds and smells should stay in the kitchen, a kitchen/diner is ok if it’s big enough. These ‘dinette’ jobbies (shelves with a small stool in front of them) are not for me.
    Also I need a wee bit of a front garden, even just a few feet.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    As long as the house is what I'm looking for - ie 3 bed, flat, detached/semi etc.

The key things are: neighbours, parking and local amenities.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 5th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    pinklady21
    Anything noisy or stinky or that spoils the view:
    Flight Paths.
    Near Neighbours.
    Electricity pylons or Wind farm in next field.
    Trunk Roads or main railways lines adjacent or very nearby.
    Sewage farm.
    Large farm with cattle court or lots of pigs. (I like livestock, just don't want to live right next door to it....)
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 5th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Im only concerned about stuff i cant change or stuff that is hard to change. So im looking for space and type of structure each time. Privacy is also good. Obviously anything unhealthy is a no no.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 15,601 Posts
    • 43,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Pretty much all the things that would put me off a house are to do with the neighbourhood. That is THE No. 1 priority to me in all respects:

- no chavvy neighbours if I can possibly help it (unfortunately one can't do anything about neighbours one discovers are chavvy after moving in. Duh - the state of their house should have been a clue)
    - no flightpaths (- I don't fly myself)
    - added "dogs that are kept outside and allowed to bark" since moving here
    - no neighbouring properties with "problem" weeds (eg Japanese Knotweed)
    - got to be on a quiet road (- I don't have a car myself)
    - level of facilities nearby to be at least adequate compared to what I'm used to (preferably high level of facilities and very preferably a really high level of facilities and all one needs for everyday purposes a walk away). Yep....that clashes head-on with the likelihood post Tony Bliar (sic) as PM of being able to keep nearby green spaces green - rather than "build/build/build ad infinitum").

Re the house itself:
    - Huge huge preference for it actually being finished in the first place - and to 21st century standards/London tastes.

But I know that goes from unlikely to extremely unlikely indeed (dependant on whereabouts one is in the country) and so I'm prepared (if I must - and through gritted teeth) to rip out absolutely everything internally (except stairs sited within a room or external door sited within a room). The kitchen must be at least passable size (preferably big).

Re the garden:
    - very very hopefully as private as it "should" be (ie totally private back garden)
    - must be relatively level
    - very very hopefully to be a proper garden. But am prepared in theory (waits for money in practice in current house) to rip up any concrete/tarmac/concrete paving stones and turn it into a proper garden.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 05-03-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • tessiesmummy
    • By tessiesmummy 5th Mar 18, 12:37 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    tessiesmummy
    i dont really have anything that would be a no no apart from damp or mould. including cold mouldy windows. it would be my do's that would sway me more
    driveway (must)
    hallway (ideally)
    4 bedrooms or 3 and 2 livingrooms
    back garden that gets at least a couple of hours a day sun (ideally)
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789716 Debt Free Wannabe
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 23,990 Thanks
    Slinky
    We've just bought, hopefully our last home, which has open tread stairs rising out of the dining room, no direct access to the back garden except through the house or garage, an extension which has been underpinned, and a wetroom.

None of these things were on our wish list, but location trumped everything else as it's in a pleasant market town, near the coast, with leisure centre/pool 5 mins walk away, shops restaurants 8 mins walk away, doctors 2 mins. Bus route about 100 yards away if we can no longer drive.

House is rented out at the moment, but we'll make the best of it to get it how we want it when we move.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Open plan kitchen and living room
    No driveway, ok, but I can park in the street with no issues
    Close to a river
    Main road
    Leasehold
    Last edited by cjdavies; 05-03-2018 at 2:06 PM.
    • Becks12
    • By Becks12 5th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Becks12
    I'm house hunting at the moment so have a few!

No upstairs toilet
    Bathroom too small for a bath
    Living room too small to fit my sofa
    Photos too messy to be able to make out if the room is in good condition. ie are there holes in the walls
    Next to a prison
    Under flight path
    More than 25 mins walk to a station

I realise the first few could be fixed with some work but I have no skills, patience, or clue as to where to start!
    • cloo
    • By cloo 5th Mar 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    cloo
    We bought a house with the carpets the colour of 'a dairy milk bar' as the OP politely puts it (my dad just called them 'sh*t coloured) and haven't got rid of all of them yet!

Our house has small garden, no off-street parking, mid terrace with no back access from front, but that's pretty normal where we are, and transport, schools, overall size etc make it worth it.

The things that put us off when last looking were: tiny box for last bedroom and maybe not quite big enough overall but not extendable (these two often went together when the loft extension stairway had cut out part of the bedroom that was already smallest!). Also we looked at a few which had totally open plan downstairs, albeit sometimes with foldable partition, which my husband didn't mind so much, but I wasn't keen on. And kitchens that weren't family sized - we saw at least one place that was a family sized house with a 2-bed flat sized kitchen.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 5th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 7,714 Posts
    • 11,272 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Why not? It looks smart and is zero maintenance for decades!

For example
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Last edited by jackieblack; 05-03-2018 at 3:59 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 5th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    • 7,714 Posts
    • 11,272 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Next to a prison
    Originally posted by Becks12
    I forgot that one
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Bonniepurple
    • By Bonniepurple 5th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Bonniepurple
    Things that have put me off
    No off street parking
    No garage
    A house that was described as 4 bed but in reality had the dining room as a bedroom, (therefore summer evenings out in the garden/lie ins in the morning were not possible) AND the smallest !!!8216;bedroom!!!8217; was an odd shaped groove without space even for a cot!
    A house which was uninhabitable. Our first house was, and we lived with parents. That!!!8217;s not an option with 2 children now.
    I discounted our house on the basis of no privacy - roads out front and back. Now, I think it!!!8217;s great to have a bus stop outside the front door!
    Rear acess - so no mid terraces.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Next door to a pub - never again!
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 5th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    dunroving
    On-road parking (I currently struggle with parking at my house, carrying crap from car to the house, can't wash the car, etc.)

Disinterested or rude estate agents or sellers - I know it's a business decision but as far as I am concerned they can go stuff themselves.

Smells, especially cigarette smoke or cat pee.

Completely hardscaped back garden.

On a busy main road.

Opposite gates to a school.

Signs of neglect, unless the house is clearly a complete "gut it and do it up" job.

Crap DIY owners. They expect to make back the money they invested in making changes, but their work contains so many potential dangers you end up having to complete undo, or re-do their work. Current house was like that, needed wiring and plumbing all checked and about £2k of remedial work done.

For the right price, I could maybe live with some of the above, because I'd have spare cash to solve the problem (e.g., ripping out and replacing cat-pee permeated floorboards)
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 25,034 Posts
    • 92,556 Thanks
    Davesnave
    On a road with huge solid speed bumps! I don!!!8217;t mind the tarmac sort where you can slow down and line up and go over gently, but the huge solid ones where however you line up or slowly you crawl over it smashes your suspension and jolts you about.
    Originally posted by es5595
    Oh, we have those; about 25 miles of them.

We call it the A377.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I would not buy a house on a main road or dual carriageway. Or a house with a loft conversion. If I wanted one on 3 levels I would buy a purpose built one not one where a staircase had been squashed in somewhere where it was not part of the original design.

I wouldn't by under a flight path or a house where the back garden was overlooked by a block of flats.
    • steph2901
    • By steph2901 5th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    steph2901
    I don't like open plan, but like a kitchen/diner.
    Wouldn't buy a house that only had a shower room, would need to have a bath with over bath shower or separate shower cubicle.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 17,368 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I guess you wouldn't employ someone to do a survey? If you're making such a big investment, it would seem wise.
    Originally posted by MalMonroe
    On our last house, we got a survey. In the 15 years we were there, none of the things the survey flagged were an issue, while all the things that were issues were unflagged.

When we bought this one, we didn't bother. I've got a good enough idea about DIY to have not had any real surprises in the five years we've been here.

When my mother was buying a couple of years ago, I went over the place she'd set her heart on. I didn't like what I saw, so got a builder to give a second opinion on the specific details that unsettled me... I was right.

What would be a showstopper for me? Price that didn't allow for things I found, or finding things that aren't easily changeable. Trivialities like carpets and showers are easy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,915Posts Today

8,637Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin