Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 173Posts
    • 169Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    What would put you off a house...?
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    What would put you off a house...? 4th Mar 18 at 11:20 PM
    I've just read the fake grass thread, and it got me thinking.
    What kind of things would be a deal breaker for you?
    I don't mean terrible area/apalling neighbours/massive cracks in the roof and water left to pour in for months etc.
    More like - is a bit of peeling wallpaper ok? Original period windows that could do with some love? Is double glazing a must? Carpets the colour of a Dairy Milk bar? No shower in the bathroom? An unloved garden?
    What do people expect to have to do when they buy a (not new built) house?
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 4th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 10,313 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    First ever house I looked at had wood panelling applied to every single room. The place looked like a sauna.
    Would have required a huge amount of work to rip it all off and probably replaster. I guess on the upside it would have been cheap to heat for the first year but this was well before woodburners were fashionable.
    • Robby1988
    • By Robby1988 4th Mar 18, 11:57 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Robby1988
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:57 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:57 PM
    I would never buy another house with cement rendered exterior walls. Looks alright when its new and/or freshly painted but overtime just becomes a maintenance headache to keep looking nice. It's also often a cause of damp on older houses because it traps moisture in the structure. You never know what the render might be hiding either.
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 5th Mar 18, 12:11 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:11 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:11 AM
    I guess you wouldn't employ someone to do a survey? If you're making such a big investment, it would seem wise. Then you'd (hopefully) not be ripped off. But if you don't want to, then I'd try to buy the best house I could in the best area. I once made the mistake of buying a great house in a rubbish area and regretted it until the day I left. Neighbours were awful. The things you mention are all superficial though and if you loved the house in spite of them, no problem. I'd have to pass though!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 5th Mar 18, 6:26 AM
    • 30,562 Posts
    • 57,702 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:26 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:26 AM
    I would hate a house in the middle of nowhere. This may include a house on an estate with no shops, schools or transport links. I would not like a house in the middle of an estate.

Internally there probably isn't a lot that would put me off if I liked the house in other ways - maybe wall-to wall artex would be a no-no - but most internal stuff can be fixed.

I'm not keen on the trend of open plan kitchen/eating/living all together, so that would be a no-no to me.

Also after forty years of living in terraced houses, off-street parking is a must and I wouldn't consider a house without it.
    • remembermee
    • By remembermee 5th Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    remembermee
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    I would never choose to buy a house that you have to go through the living room to get to the kitchen.
    Nor would I want to find myself in one that had the stairs coming off the living room.

As you can tell, I see the point of hallways lol
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 5th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 7,709 Posts
    • 11,255 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    I wouldn't consider buying a house:
    In the middle of an estate
    In any area where neighbouring properties look unkempt/run down/uncared for
    With an overlooked back garden
    With no off-street parking
    Pebble-dashed
    External door leading directly into living room (unless the budget and property both enabled a decent porch extension to be easily added as a priority)
    Only bathroom downstairs (unless budget and property allowed for an additional bathroom to be easily added upstairs)
    Dark internally/small windows/lack of natural light
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 5th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    lovehols
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    Off road parking definitely a priority, and the surrounding area so if the neighbours look like they care for their homes. I always check the local crime map too, that's normally the first things I do.

Oh and not overlooked, though the house we have just bought is on the canal and our neighbours are on the towpath opposite, but there is a canal in between us so that's fine and no neighbours the other side just a wood we own.

For the right price the majority of other things can be changed or updated.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 5th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 3,220 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    I wouldn't consider buying a house:

Pebble-dashed
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Why not? It looks smart and is zero maintenance for decades!

For example
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 25,015 Posts
    • 92,518 Thanks
    Davesnave
    For the right price the majority of (other) things can be changed or updated.
    Originally posted by lovehols
    I tried to answer the question, but that's the answer for us too.

There's almost nothing of our house, inside or outside, that remains the same.

If the location and setting suits, then provided the money, enthusiasm and the law allows, nothing trivial should stand in the way of buying it.

I'm a bit lacking in the enthusiasm department now, though!
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 5th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    sleepymans
    A house with little natural light. Or one in a shaded valley or amongst woodland.
    I need light....and preferably a pleasant view from most windows.
    Goddess
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 5th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    The things that put me off are: newly decorated, newly installed kitchens and bathrooms, new carpets, decor not to my taste.

But we are looking for renovation projects, so unless a house was in our price range and done exactly to our tastes, there's no way I'd buy one that had actually had work done to it in the last 10 years! And the chances of finding one that meets our spec, our taste and out rice bracket and none existent. I also like the challenge of a renovation.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 5th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    rach_k
    I don't like open plan, although a kitchen-diner is okay sometimes.

I wouldn't buy something with a dodgy or half-finished loft conversion - I'd either want it done properly or completely undone so I could do it myself if needed.

No garden would be a no; small is fine but I need some outside space with things growing.

Nasty windows and doors that are fairly new so I wouldn't be able to justify replacing them! Same with a kitchen - a new glossy finish kitchen would be a nightmare for me, I'd prefer a wreck that I could replace.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 5th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    vicki2221
    A garden that is in the shade all the time would be a no go for me.
    Save £12k in 2018 #130 - £1200/£7,000
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 5th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    I will never buy:
    - terraced house with no access on the back
    - house with stairs in the living room
    - no off road parking and no chance to make one
    - small kitchen with no chance of extension
    - small box room
    - small garden or big difference in level
    - no garage (the garage is a must for my partner, the bigger, the better
    - lots of social housing around
    - bad schools
    - no transport

Everything else can be fixed.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 5th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Another vote for a dislike of stairs being in the living room.

Also the kitchen being at the front of the house. Although I could live with that, its stairs in the living room that are a definite no.

Oh and kitchen has to be big enough to fit a table & chairs. Don't like lounge/diners where you have to have the dining table in the living room

Driveway is a must too

Me, fussy? Never!
    Mortgage starting balance £231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 £218,000
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 5th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    chelseablue
    I will never buy:
    - terraced house with no access on the back
    - house with stairs in the living room
    - no off road parking and no chance to make one
    - small kitchen with no chance of extension
    - small box room
    - small garden or big difference in level
    - no garage (the garage is a must for my partner, the bigger, the better
    - lots of social housing around
    - bad schools
    - no transport

Everything else can be fixed.
    Originally posted by Amanda_Cm
    Didn't think of those!

Yes also must have side access to the garden and back garden that's level.
    Mortgage starting balance £231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 £218,000
    • es5595
    • By es5595 5th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    es5595
    On a road with huge solid speed bumps! I don!!!8217;t mind the tarmac sort where you can slow down and line up and go over gently, but the huge solid ones where however you line up or slowly you crawl over it smashes your suspension and jolts you about.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 5th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Another no here for pebble dash or rendered and near neighbours. Internal stuff doesn't matter as long as the place has big enough rooms.
    We bought a small bungalow and extended it so size isn't an issue as long as you can extend as you want.

Stairs in the living room too, we had the choice of putting the stairs in the living room, dining room or utility room - we chose the utility.

No garage or garage space.

Fair sized rooms a must.
    Last edited by Waterlily24; 05-03-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 5th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Nothing. It's a balance of everything about the house against the price you are paying for it.

Nobody is going to be faced with the choice of a mansion in the country against a 2 bed terrace in the worst area of town and buy the 2 bed terrace because the mansion has stairs in the living room.

If 90% of the houses in the price range have off road parking you might insist on off road parking; if in your price range the only houses with off road parking are there because they have massive subsidence, then it shouldn't be an priority.

Nothing should ever be a deal breaker on its own. You have to consider the whole. Doing anything else is shooting yourself in the foot.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 05-03-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin