Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Asmoosy
    • By Asmoosy 4th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Asmoosy
    Remortgaging and overpaying
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    Remortgaging and overpaying 4th Mar 18 at 10:28 PM
    This subject baffles me and I find it so hard to understand at some points.
    I have a NatWest mortgage which is fixed for two years.
    I have made 10% overpayments which has helped reduce the interest by around 40pm. I only make overpayments when I can, so sometimes it's little amounts a week, NatWest recalculate my monthly payments automatically when I over pay over 1000, but they don't reduce the term.
    I'm happy there is a drop in interest and will continue to overpay, but I'm
    Coming to the end and will be remortgaging soon. Natwest said that if I stay with them
    They will allow me to pay 20% into my mortgage which is amazing, but I don't have that and will
    Pay what I can.
    My question is, shall I keep up the overpayments and hope I can get a 15 year term? At the point of remortgaging I'll have 23 years left on my current deal.
    Also I used a mortgage broker for my purchase (free in Scotland) shall I use one again or go
    Straight to the banks.
    Thank you in advance
Page 1
    • Niv
    • By Niv 5th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    Niv
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    I would keep the term long and overpay. That way if you get into money issues you have the flexability to reduce your payments by the amount you overpay.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 5th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    juniordoc
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    Although that depends a little bit on how much self control you have. It can be tempting not to overpay and see it sit in your bank.
    I have a "flexible mortgage that if I frequently overpay but then run into a difficult month or 2, I can ask to underlay if I need to.
    Why not go for somewhere in the middle, go for an 18 or 19 year term and make smaller overpayments as and when you can.
    • Asmoosy
    • By Asmoosy 5th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Asmoosy
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    But with savings earning nothing I'd rather overpay. I would like to be mortgage free as quickly as possible
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,589Posts Today

6,712Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin