Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 4th Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    • 2,619Posts
    • 9,921Thanks
    Happygreen
    is skype dead without MS?
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    is skype dead without MS? 4th Mar 18 at 10:26 PM
    From this afternoon I am receiving the prompt to sign in with Microsoft or open an account - there is no option to use the old skype account. Does any tech know a trick how to get it back? I'm using windows 7 an intend to until it dies.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
Page 1
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 4th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    I'm on Windows 7 and just checked; seems OK, and I hope it is as I've a skype lesson tomorrow morning.

Have you done a software update recently? I did see a similar prompt page recently after tidying up Firefox, but got back in normally.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 4th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 9,921 Thanks
    Happygreen
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    I'm on Windows 7 and just checked; seems OK, and I hope it is as I've a skype lesson tomorrow morning.

Have you done a software update recently? I did see a similar prompt page recently after tidying up Firefox, but got back in normally.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    If there was an update it did it without a prompt. The platform had changed considerably a few weeks ago but I never needed to sign in.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
    • vtech19
    • By vtech19 4th Mar 18, 10:56 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    vtech19
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:56 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:56 PM
    i think skype died when MS took it over, I miss the trusty old MSN Messanger
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 4th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 9,921 Thanks
    Happygreen
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by silverwhistle
    I got in - I made the mistake trying it with my original email address. That definitely no longer works. Using my skype name worked (I had to check on my phone....)
    Hope all works smoothly for you tomorrow, thanks for taking the time to reply.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 4th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 9,921 Thanks
    Happygreen
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    i think skype died when MS took it over, I miss the trusty old MSN Messanger
    Originally posted by vtech19
    I'd love to use whatsapp instead but my laptop is too old for the app FB messenger works as well but mum doesn't have it.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 7,364 Posts
    • 3,862 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    I still use Skype phone app to make paid calls to landlines when abroad or to call special non geographic numbers abroad that cannot be reached any other way. But the app GUI post MS is grotesque Ill admit.

Now WhatsApp: Love the usability of the app and use it to discuss confidential paperwork with son abroad. Itd be great if WhatsApp offered high quality calls to landlines - that would be bye-bye Skype.
    Last edited by buglawton; 05-03-2018 at 8:10 AM.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 7,364 Posts
    • 3,862 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    I'd love to use whatsapp instead but my laptop is too old for the app FB messenger works as well but mum doesn't have it.
    Originally posted by Happygreen
    Does WhatsApp for laptops/Windows actually exist?
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 5th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    i just use whats app web
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 5th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 15,317 Posts
    • 131,098 Thanks
    zagubov
    Whatsapp is available via the Opera Browser.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 5th Mar 18, 11:31 AM
    • 3,633 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ballyblack
    and Chrome browser, chromebook
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 5th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 9,921 Thanks
    Happygreen
    i just use whats app web
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    my daughter's using it on Chrome but she has Windows 10. Will have a look if it can be done via opera on win 7 but not holding my breath
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter