Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crescent678
    • By crescent678 4th Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    • 120Posts
    • 29Thanks
    crescent678
    Disability element tax credits
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    Disability element tax credits 4th Mar 18 at 10:12 PM
    I have been getting working tax credit since October,I received a letter last week to say I might be allowed disability element on my working tax credit,I received employment support allowance and DLA right up until October then I started working in october,I was on benefits for a few year,will I get the disability element and will this be backdated to October?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 5th Mar 18, 6:51 AM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:51 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:51 AM
    Are you still on DLA?
    • crescent678
    • By crescent678 5th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    crescent678
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    Disability element
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    I came off DLA and esa when I moved to etc,the letter I received asked me to confirm I was on these benefits up until I claim etc,from what I can see online the disability element will be paid to people that has claimed for more than 28 weeks then moved to wtc,
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 5th Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    The ESA would meet the qualifying benefits test but you also need to meet the disadvantage in work test on an ongoing basis.

See COndition 2 here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/645408/TC956_Disability_Helpsheet.pdf

IQ
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 5th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    Why did you end your DLA? You can still claim this whilst working.
    • crescent678
    • By crescent678 5th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    crescent678
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    Disability element tax credit
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    DLA sent a letter saying it was coming to an end and if I wanted I was to make a claim for PIP
    • Danday
    • By Danday 5th Mar 18, 6:03 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Danday
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:03 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:03 PM
    Why did you end your DLA? You can still claim this whilst working.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    It may well be the case that the OP having looked at the PIP descriptors and by working it may be that they considered that the two would not be compatible - the descriptors would be at odds to the work they are doing.

You can only claim/continue to claim if the work they do does not call the claim/award into question
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 5th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    It may well be the case that the OP having looked at the PIP descriptors and by working it may be that they considered that the two would not be compatible - the descriptors would be at odds to the work they are doing.

You can only claim/continue to claim if the work they do does not call the claim/award into question
    Originally posted by Danday
    I asked as if the OPs conditions is improved, he may not meet all conditions of WTC disability element. Part of claiming the disability element of wtc is that you must have a disability that puts him at a disadvantage in finding work.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/work-disadvantage-test
    • Danday
    • By Danday 5th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Danday
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    I asked as if the OPs conditions is improved, he may not meet all conditions of WTC disability element. Part of claiming the disability element of wtc is that you must have a disability that puts him at a disadvantage in finding work.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/work-disadvantage-test
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    Thanks yes I am aware of those conditions. However I was replying to your posting questioning the OP when their DLA stopped and telling them that they could still claim even if they worked.
    I was clarifying that answer that working could/may be seen in some cases as being contradictory to the DLA/PIP claim.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 5th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Thanks yes I am aware of those conditions. However I was replying to your posting questioning the OP when their DLA stopped and telling them that they could still claim even if they worked.
    I was clarifying that answer that working could/may be seen in some cases as being contradictory to the DLA/PIP claim.
    Originally posted by Danday
    I'm also aware of that. However the OP simply said that he stopped DLA when he started working. He didn't mention PIP or descriptors which is why I asked the question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

4,834Users online

Martin's Twitter