Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Loose Canon
    • By Loose Canon 4th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Loose Canon
    Panasonic microwave enamel coming away
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    Panasonic microwave enamel coming away 4th Mar 18 at 9:45 PM
    I have a Panasonic microwave purchased in August 2016 from Currys online with a credit card it was over 110.
    We have noticed the enamel where the turntable rotates is coming away which we are not happy with. There is a track at the bottom peeling away.

Initial online contact with Currys is "it is out of warranty so nothing we can do" .
    When I logon to my account it keeps asking me to extend the warranty which is laughable.

What is a 'reasonable period' to expect a microwave to last? It used mainly to heat up milk and the occasional potato.

Should I start mentioning Consumer Rights 2015 as it should surely last more than 18 months?

As it was bought on a credit card how would I contact them even when I no longer have that card?

thanks for any advice
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 4th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    Had a few microwaves peel until we started leaving the door open after use to let all the moisture clear. Probably too late for this one.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 4th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Les79
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    Onus is on you to prove that an inherent fault exists with the item after 6 months of use (under your consumer rights). You may also have additional warranty rights (not the case here, unless you can extend that warranty and get away with claiming a fault a few weeks down the line; but that's dishonest and a risk).

By all means mention your consumer rights to Currys, they may offer you something further (try and speak to a manager). A lot of the time customer service agents "fob off" customers and just refer them to the manufacturer because they either can't be bothered or don't have a clue.

If Currys decline to help, and they technically can, then you are looking at obtaining an independent fault report and potential small claims action if said report is ignored. The CC company may also be jointly liable so you can also speak to them.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 4th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    Stainless steel . . .

• ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 5th Mar 18, 6:00 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:00 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:00 AM
    Had a stainless steel interior microwave for 10 years now and still in tip top condition. I always leave the door open after use.
    Before this I always had normal microwaves and they barely lasted 2 years without going manky.
    I would be surprised if you have any luck with Currys regarding this.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 5th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 6,205 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    Our Panasonic microwave is around 20 years old and is in great condition. I hate to think of what we'll do when it finally gives up the ghost.

We're very careful to wipe it round internally (especially including under the revolving plate) and then leave the door open after use to remove all the moisture from it.

OP - are you confident that you've followed the care instuctions correctly ?
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 5th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    My Panasonic microwave is 5 or 6 years old, not stainless steel and not peeling. I do leave the door open all the time, unless using it of course. No idea I do just habit.
    • Loose Canon
    • By Loose Canon 9th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Loose Canon
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    Thanks all for the reply
    Sounds like leaving the door open is the key.
    I've had a reply from Panasonic who want more information but stainless steel it is next time ( 2 in 20 years before this one).

Given up with Currys who 'will get back' ...
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 11th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 13,108 Posts
    • 11,182 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    Just a side note as it seems you're pursuing the right channels anyway - it's very unlikely to be enamelled, much more likely to be painted. If Panasonic have no suggestions for you, maybe ask if they can send a touch-up pot, or at least suggest what would be a (food safe) alternative?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,338Posts Today

7,973Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin