Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kezzygirl
    • By kezzygirl 4th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 661Posts
    • 701Thanks
    kezzygirl
    The "just in case" fund?
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    The "just in case" fund? 4th Mar 18 at 8:46 PM
    Hello. We are in the process of buying a house and I was wanting to gauge opinion as to how much we should put in a "just in case" fund. I know it is all relative to what you can afford, but I am wanting to put aside a small amount as an emergency fund. I was thinking may be 100 per month? But that doesn't seem much?
Page 1
    • tibbles209
    • By tibbles209 4th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    tibbles209
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    The oft-quoted rule of thumb is 3-6 months living expenses (including mortgage payment, bills, food, everything else you need to pay for over that period). Some people go as far as a year's expenses.

That is a pretty daunting target, so to begin with just save what you can afford. Anything is better than nothing, and if you keep saving regularly you will get there eventually I personally started with a target of 1000, and once I met that upped the target accordingly. Congrats on the new home!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 4th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 9,436 Posts
    • 10,442 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    Opinions differ as to how many months living expenses you should have , generally most agree between 3-6 months but others say dont bother put it all on credit cards. At 100/month its going to take a fair time to accumulate even 3 months.
    • kezzygirl
    • By kezzygirl 4th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    kezzygirl
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    We could stretch to more per month. We are saving about 800 per month currently and our mortgage will be 300 More than our current rent.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Define emergency.

Loss of job, longer term illness - three to six months net pay wouldn't go amiss. That might take some accruing. But how will you pay the bills if you're not being paid?

I take the view that once a year an important item will need replacing. TV. Washing machine. Fridge freezer. Dishwasher. Always having 500 sat there waiting for a modern appliance crisis wins. Keep topping it up monthly.

Budgeting to keep cars on the road, including having insurance excess saved, can assist.
    • kezzygirl
    • By kezzygirl 4th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    kezzygirl
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    I'm thinking emergency as in the car goes wrong, boiler needs replacing etc.
    • kezzygirl
    • By kezzygirl 4th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    kezzygirl
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    Define emergency.

Loss of job, longer term illness - three to six months net pay wouldn't go amiss. That might take some accruing. But how will you pay the bills if you're not being paid?

I take the view that once a year an important item will need replacing. TV. Washing machine. Fridge freezer. Dishwasher. Always having 500 sat there waiting for a modern appliance crisis wins. Keep topping it up monthly.

Budgeting to keep cars on the road, including having insurance excess saved, can assist.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    I get 4 months full pay and 4 months half pay. Hubby doesn't get sick pay so perhaps we should look at his wage amount and multiply by 6 to cover us. Also thinking of having a longer term savings too...
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 4th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    Also thinking of having a longer term savings too...
    Originally posted by kezzygirl
    After you have the emergency fund, you should maybe also consider long term investing in an S&S ISA and/or additional pension contributions via a SIPP where you get 25% tax relief added. There is lots of information to learn on here and sites like Monevator if that is a route you wish to consider.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin