Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 4th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 291Posts
    • 118Thanks
    mgfvvc
    Bikeability
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    Bikeability 4th Mar 18 at 7:54 PM
    I have tried to find a Bikeability course for my daughter to make sure she is adequately prepared for cycling on the roads. I went so far as to try to arrange a course. Her last school agreed to run a course, but it didn't happen. If there are independent courses I can't find them.

Surely it shouldn't be hard to get a child onto a Bikeability course. Is there an easy route to get cycle training for my daughter that am I missing.?
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 4th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 8,151 Posts
    • 5,901 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    I had a quick look at the Bikeability website and it looks like it's something that's overseen by local councils.

It's quite a mysterious website -- lots of talk about different levels of training, links to find professional trainers then... nothing... :-/

Just found this:
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cycletraining
    Last edited by esuhl; 04-03-2018 at 9:38 PM.
    • mccycle
    • By mccycle 5th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mccycle
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    I am a Bikeability instructor working for West Sussex County Council. As well as Bikeability courses at schools, we provide one-to-one training for school-age children, free of charge. I can't speak for other local authorities but it might be worth checking your council's web site. Perhaps under "road safety".
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 6,954 Posts
    • 5,718 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    https://bikeability.org.uk/find-a-course-provider/

I found about six near me although it will depend where you live. Could you ask the school to try to organise this again?

My local councils website has an email address to arrange courses, yours may offer the same. Try searching their website.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 7th Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    The Council website (Hertfordshire) provides a lot of email addresses for trainers with little indication of whether they are nearby. I went down that route over a year ago and found a nearby provider who suggested going through the school, which did not turn out well.

Unfortunately she has moved school and her new school haven't responded to my questions about Bikeability, It looks like another uphill struggle. I might just have to pay to organise something privately.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 7th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    elverson
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    Do you ride a bike yourself? If so then you could do you own "training" by riding out together.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-you-can-do/cycling/cycling-safety-and-rules/road-safety-cyclists
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 7th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    Do you ride a bike yourself? If so then you could do you own "training" by riding out together.
    Originally posted by elverson
    I'm doing a bit of that, but it would be better on top of a structured course, rather than being instead of a proper course. I've tried to find a cycle training or highway code for cyclists app, but all I can find is driver training apps.

Next step is Amazon. There has to be a good old fashioned paper book for this and of course I'll get her a highway code.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 7th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    If you can't find a course and want to give instruction yourself try typing bikeability into youtube and you will find stacks of video'd on the subject.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 5,869 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    There has to be a good old fashioned paper book for this
    Originally posted by mgfvvc
    Cyclecraft, John Franklin.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 7,186 Posts
    • 6,670 Thanks
    KeithP
    AA Cyclists Highway Code: Essential Rules of the Road
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin