Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hdewey
    • By hdewey 4th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 2Thanks
    hdewey
    Complex former employment question
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    Complex former employment question 4th Mar 18 at 7:38 PM
    Hi everyone sorry if this is a bit patchy in places but parts I struggle to recall.

I joined a large company working from home early in 2014 I eventually was heavily pushed to resign in March 2016 (inclination being strongly given I would have been dismissed if I hadn't)

So much happened and at stages they were helpful and supportive. During this period my Mum died my partner left me without notice I was in massive financial pressure and I for all purposes had a breakdown. All of the above led me to missing work all of which was signed off and agreed with the doctor and latterly the companies suggested occupational health team who I communicated with regularly and eventually told my employer they were not convinced I was fit to return to work.

In May 2016 I had a very serious viral illness cause unknown but usually bought on by stress according to the excellent staff that treated me, I was in intensive care for a month then the hospital another 3 months before be thankful to walk out with sticks autumn of 2016. I have not worked since because I cant I have very limited physical or mental energy and whilst it is still relatively early in terms of recovery for this specific condition it seems unlikely I ever will do again.

I guess my question is, Is there anything I can do to complain to my previous employer about how they dealt with things? As I state I do not have the relevant paperwork anymore and my memory is sketchy. I am in no way blaming them for the illness but it certainly must have be a factor (hard to prove I know).

Just not really sure where to go from here and have only just built up the courage to tackle this, before I dig out or try to get the specifics do people think its worth my time?

Thanks in advance and again apologies for typos e.t.c
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 4th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 10,674 Posts
    • 8,911 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    What are you expecting the company to do? We're talking 2 yrs ago and in some companies because of their size and turnover, they may not even remember you. Dealing with them may bring back bad memories and cause you stress.

It is highly doubtful they would acknowledge they had done anything wrong. I would suggest you forget this.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 4th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    It sounds like you had a nasty period. But I am afraid there is nothing to be done now.

There is a strict time limit for bringing most types of Employment Tribunal claim is 3 months. So even if you did have a legal claim, you would have needed to have registered your claim before June 2016.

I do not think there is any point complaining to the employer after such a long period of time. You are not going to get a useful response - at the end of the day they are running a business.

I think you need to focus on moving forward with your life rather than moving backwards.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 4th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Les79
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    It sounds like you had a nasty period. But I am afraid there is nothing to be done now.

There is a strict time limit for bringing most types of Employment Tribunal claim is 3 months. So even if you did have a legal claim, you would have needed to have registered your claim before June 2016.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    Potentially a moot point now, but I suspect that they *may* have extended the timeframe for OP given the "very serious illness".

For example, if you are in a coma then you very obviously can't submit a Tribunal claim and if that coma lasts for longer than 3 months then I can't see them penalizing you for that.

In OP's case, though, they were out of hospital in August 2016; I think they potentially had a small window to submit a claim in August 2016 as well given the exceptional circumstances. Not in March 2018 though.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 4th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    In agreement with the other posters, but two other points:

You would not be out of time for a personal injury claim, but that's not going to be a simple claim and it's unlikely a no fee solicitor would take it on

Your illness may have been caused by stress, it's unlikely an expert could testify categorically that was the cause. Even if they did, you had several other contributory issues that could have triggered a virus.

With everything that has happened, would it be beneficial to talk things through with a counsellor? Sometimes offloading to an outside party, working through the issues, can be very beneficial in helping you move on.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 5th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 6,686 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    Hi everyone sorry if this is a bit patchy in places but parts I struggle to recall.

I joined a large company working from home early in 2014 I eventually was heavily pushed to resign in March 2016 (inclination being strongly given I would have been dismissed if I hadn't)

So much happened and at stages they were helpful and supportive. During this period my Mum died my partner left me without notice I was in massive financial pressure and I for all purposes had a breakdown. All of the above led me to missing work all of which was signed off and agreed with the doctor and latterly the companies suggested occupational health team who I communicated with regularly and eventually told my employer they were not convinced I was fit to return to work.

In May 2016 I had a very serious viral illness cause unknown but usually bought on by stress according to the excellent staff that treated me, I was in intensive care for a month then the hospital another 3 months before be thankful to walk out with sticks autumn of 2016. I have not worked since because I cant I have very limited physical or mental energy and whilst it is still relatively early in terms of recovery for this specific condition it seems unlikely I ever will do again.

I guess my question is, Is there anything I can do to complain to my previous employer about how they dealt with things? As I state I do not have the relevant paperwork anymore and my memory is sketchy. I am in no way blaming them for the illness but it certainly must have be a factor (hard to prove I know).

Just not really sure where to go from here and have only just built up the courage to tackle this, before I dig out or try to get the specifics do people think its worth my time?

Originally posted by hdewey
    Very little to me sounds like they've done that much wrong. You have to be realistic that an employers patience only goes so far.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    • 5,638 Posts
    • 11,852 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    How long did you work there exactly?

What periods of time were you off sick?

If they were going to dismiss you for excessive sickness, especially as it!!!8217;s not clear you hit two years, it could have been better for you to resign, so then giving you that option could have been in your best interest
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:15 AM

No.

Even if you could prove they acted in a way that was so malicious (it wasn't, they could've just sacked you), they would argue that the breakdown of your relationship was the cause of your downward spiral.
    • hdewey
    • By hdewey 5th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    hdewey
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    Ok sorry to have wasted your time
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    No time wasted, the boards can help in other ways . e.g. the debt free board might be useful to you.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 5th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    You've not at all.

Do think about the counselling. I'd had a lot of problems with work and bullying related to my disability, and speaking about it many years later made me realise how much it was still affecting me. I've still not entirely got through it but having the third party to unload on has been a massive help.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 5th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 6,686 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    You haven't wasted anyones time at all.

I hope you continue to push forward in recovery
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 5th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    steampowered
    Not at all. I think you asked a perfectly reasonable question.

The answer to the question might not have been what you were hoping for, but that is the way of the world sometimes. It is better you find out from us, than after paying to start legal proceedings that subsequently get thrown out!!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 10,674 Posts
    • 8,911 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    You haven't wasted anybody's time. It was a legitimate question and I'm sorry the answers weren't what you were hoping for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,054Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin