Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trmj2001
    • By trmj2001 4th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    trmj2001
    looking to switch electric provider
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    looking to switch electric provider 4th Mar 18 at 7:16 PM
    Had a email from my current provider who says that in April my average cost is going up to around £1000 a year I've done some searching and a couple have popped up like utilita, co-op energy, boost, robin hood energy my question is are these companies worth the switch I've heard bad things about the above companies do I take a risk or not
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    Had a email from my current provider who says that in April my average cost is going up to around £1000 a year I've done some searching and a couple have popped up like utilita, co-op energy, boost, robin hood energy my question is are these companies worth the switch I've heard bad things about the above companies do I take a risk or not
    Originally posted by trmj2001
    Hi - welcome to the forum. There are some very good small suppliers out there so donít be put off by a few bad reviews. Have a look at Bulb and Octopus. Both have a friends and family discount if you use a referral link. Have a look at the referrals board. Whatever happens, your credit is now fully protected by Ofgem.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 4th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    boliston
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    Hi - welcome to the forum. There are some very good small suppliers out there so donít be put off by a few bad reviews. Have a look at Bulb and Octopus. Both have a friends and family discount if you use a referral link. Have a look at the referrals board. Whatever happens, your credit is now fully protected by Ofgem.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I tend to be a bit suspicious of companies that use marketing tricks like referrals to sell their service as they have to fund these by charging more on their unit rate or standing charge.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    I tend to be a bit suspicious of companies that use marketing tricks like referrals to sell their service as they have to fund these by charging more on their unit rate or standing charge.
    Originally posted by boliston
    The majority of suppliers pay price comparison websites to list their tariffs. Friends and Family discounts is just a different way of paying a referral fee which bypasses comparison websites. What matters is the total cost of the energy that you are buying.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 4th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    Nearly all energy companies pay commission to price comparison sites and cashback sites like Quidco to promote their products; so there is not much difference to those that use customer referrals from content customers. So IMO it is not really a "marketing trick" to use different ways to promote themselves.

Octopus is highly recommended by Which and some of the others also have good reviews.
    • J B
    • By J B 4th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    I signed with Robin Hood last year on a variable tariff.
    2 weeks later they put the price up!

Switching to and then from them (all within a month) was painless but getting the final bill was more painful ... good job I stopped the DD!
    • boliston
    • By boliston 4th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    boliston
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    The majority of suppliers pay price comparison websites to list their tariffs. Friends and Family discounts is just a different way of paying a referral fee which bypasses comparison websites. What matters is the total cost of the energy that you are buying.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I notice that some energy companies show up on price comparison sites but the site shows them as suppliers they cannot switch for you - does that mean that the supplier has not had to pay any fees to the price comparison website?
    • trmj2001
    • By trmj2001 4th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trmj2001
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    I will look into the bulb and octopus companies, being just electric I can't see any problems with a new provider, some of the stories I've read about people spending £10 nearly in one day for heating as kinda put me off swapping providers
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    Co_op have a two year electric fix .
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    I notice that some energy companies show up on price comparison sites but the site shows them as suppliers they cannot switch for you - does that mean that the supplier has not had to pay any fees to the price comparison website?
    Normally, that is the case. Some PCWs no longer list tariffs that do not pay them a referral fee. MSE Cheap Energy Club; Citizens Advice and Which Switch are three sites that do list the whole of the market.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

2,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin