Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 4th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 2,036Posts
    • 60,108Thanks
    hdh74
    Windows or Mac
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    Windows or Mac 4th Mar 18 at 6:28 PM
    My old Pc keeps getting screwed up by windows 10 updates - it came with windows 7 and I installed the free version but all my drivers are out of date and can't get new ones. Talked to a local repair dude who basically said bin it, not worth the work now. I'm running it with updates turned off atm and it's got a lot of flaws.
    So I really can't decide whether to buy a new windows machine (I'm really fed up with windows 10 tbh but that might be because my puter is so ancient) but a mac desktop is a lotta dosh.

Any advice at all please, and I don't understand tech stuff much at all sorry.
Page 1
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 4th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    A Mac mini is 399 last time I looked so not a bad price. I have had one for a few years now (330 I paid from Apple refurb) and only ever had 1 issue which Apple Care sorted over the phone. If you do not need a laptop then this is good.
    I could never go back to Windows.
    Last edited by ididntgetwhereiamtoday; 04-03-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 4th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    How keen on you on learning a significantly different way of doing computing than you did with Windows? Both Mac and Linux are fairly different from Windows.

If you are not confident technically, then it might be a matter of sticking with "the devil you know"...
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 4th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 60,108 Thanks
    hdh74
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    A Mac mini is 399 last time I looked so not a bad price. I have had one for a few years now (330 I paid from Apple refurb) and only ever had 1 issue which Apple Care sorted over the phone. If you do not need a laptop then this is good.
    I could never go back to Windows.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Umm ok I googled that and I have no idea what that is I'm looking at. Is it a small desktop? Will it connect to a full-size monitor please? I'm partially-sighted so need a big screen. Will I need a new monitor? Sorry for all the questions.
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 4th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 60,108 Thanks
    hdh74
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    How keen on you on learning a significantly different way of doing computing than you did with Windows? Both Mac and Linux are fairly different from Windows.

If you are not confident technically, then it might be a matter of sticking with "the devil you know"...
    Originally posted by John Gray
    Mm, I am a bit concerned but then again I remember using a slide-rule and having to change to a calculator (yes I'm THAT old lol) and my first computer was a ZX spectrum with a cassette recorder as storage so I probably could learn. I just tend to learn what I need to to get by...

I'm thinking I might try going to an apple shop and seeing if they'll do us some demos?
    Last edited by hdh74; 04-03-2018 at 7:13 PM.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 4th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    If you decided you wanted to give Linux a shot, and your old PC doesn't have any hardware flaws (not clear from your post), then why not try it out on that?
    It would certainly save a perfectly good PC from the scrapheap.

I recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon for a novice Linux user.
    https://linuxmint.com/
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 4th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    Umm ok I googled that and I have no idea what that is I'm looking at. Is it a small desktop?
    Originally posted by hdh74
    Yes
    Will it connect to a full-size monitor please? I'm partially-sighted so need a big screen.
    Yes
    Will I need a new monitor? Sorry for all the questions.
    If your current monitor can take a HDMI or Display port connection you won't need a new one.
    Apple computers do work a bit differently to Windows. See if you can try one out before buying one to see if you get along with them. It is a good chunk of money to throw away if you end up not liking them.
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 4th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 60,108 Thanks
    hdh74
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    If you decided you wanted to give Linux a shot, and your old PC doesn't have any hardware flaws (not clear from your post), then why not try it out on that?
    It would certainly save a perfectly good PC from the scrapheap.

I recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon for a novice Linux user.
    https://linuxmint.com/
    Originally posted by emptybox
    Never thought about trying linux. Certainly worth a shot before binning it. Thanks!
    • podycust
    • By podycust 4th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    podycust
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    Will I need a new monitor? Sorry for all the questions.
    no as you'll be able to get VGA or DVI to HDMI cable or adaptor so your current monitor should work (thats how I connect my monitor to my Mac mini)

I made the jump form Windows to MacOS last year and not looked back since (I have to say am a techie ) there is a bit of a learning curve but in general it was quite simple to get used to!

I find macOS is solid and not had any issues with it unlike with Windows where I ended top reinstalling it every 3-6 months or so!

Apple's hardware is well build yes its a bit on the pricey side but its worth the extra cost I feel!
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 4th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 60,108 Thanks
    hdh74
    no as you'll be able to get VGA or DVI to HDMI cable or adaptor so your current monitor should work (thats how I connect my monitor to my Mac mini)

I made the jump form Windows to MacOS last year and not looked back since (I have to say am a techie ) there is a bit of a learning curve but in general it was quite simple to get used to!

I find macOS is solid and not had any issues with it unlike with Windows where I ended top reinstalling it every 3-6 months or so!

Apple's hardware is well build yes its a bit on the pricey side but its worth the extra cost I feel!
    Originally posted by podycust
    Thanks. Tbh I'd sooner learn something once, if it's not really really complicated than spend hours on a regular basis trying to learn fixes for stuff that's stopped working - which is how it's been since I installed windows 10. I'm only able to use my pc now because I did a system restore and turned off updates, and an awful lot of my peripherals won't work and the hours I've spend trying to fix stuff...the number of drivers I've replaced is stupid.
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 4th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 60,108 Thanks
    hdh74
    Thanks everyone, I think I'm leaning towards looking at apple hands on if I can and having a read about linux before I do anything else.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 4th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    boliston
    windows 10 is what finally drove me a away from windows for good - i think you can revert to windows 7 - that would seem the best bet if you were happy with w7 https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027936/windows-go-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 4th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 60,108 Thanks
    hdh74
    [QUOTE=boliston;73974760]windows 10 is what finally drove me a away from windows for good - i think you can revert to windows 7 - that would seem the best bet if you were happy with w7 https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027936/windows-go-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81[/QUOT

So I don't need a key or licence if I restore to factory settings, rather than trying to re-install? This was one thing that put me off as I lost one if I had it. Not sure I can go back far enough to do it any other way but I might have a fish around in recovery. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin