Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alexsau91
    • By alexsau91 4th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alexsau91
    Unknown account in default, and electoral roll
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    Unknown account in default, and electoral roll 4th Mar 18 at 6:22 PM
    Hiya. So, I just conducted my first ever check of my credit file two find two things, one which scared me, the other, confused me... I guess.

So, first. There is an outstanding default to a lender called Link Financial. After racking my brains, I'm assuming - the only thing it could be - is my old student account with the Co-Op which I thought was closed has sold on debt which I did not know I had, and would never have known I had were it not for examining my credit file. My address is on there, so I'm not sure why neither Link nor Co-Op didn't inform me. Two questions to this, should I pay it immediately (I would like to), and how does one go about doing this.

My second query is my credit file says I am NOT on the electoral roll, even though I am, and have always been - since I was first able to vote some 5 years ago. I have moved since then, but in my current address I have voted twice last year, locals and general, so May and June 2017, so I can't see how my credit file says that I'm not. How do I change this?

Thanks for any help/advice.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 31,602 Posts
    • 19,942 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    Do you live in flat ?

Speak to the agency who has you down at not living at your current address.

Who did you check your file with ?

There's 3 agencies to check (maybe its an issue with the 1 you checked), Call Credit (use noddle) Equifax (clearscore) and Experian (mse credit club)
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • alexsau91
    • By alexsau91 4th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alexsau91
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    I don't. Living with parents in a house. Re, the electoral roll issue - I was reading through it again, and had mistaken edited for electoral. It actually says "Not present on Edited Roll". Not sure what that means? I checked using noodle.

And the default to Link Finacial?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 31,602 Posts
    • 19,942 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    I don't. Living with parents in a house. Re, the electoral roll issue - I was reading through it again, and had mistaken edited for electoral. It actually says "Not present on Edited Roll". Not sure what that means? I checked using noodle.

And the default to Link Finacial?
    Originally posted by alexsau91
    You can send a SAR request to the Co OP and maybe link asking for any information relating to the default, it might reveal the reason for the debt.

This might answer your question re edited roll
    Last edited by DCFC79; 04-03-2018 at 6:49 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • alexsau91
    • By alexsau91 4th Mar 18, 6:51 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alexsau91
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:51 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:51 PM
    Ok. Can do. Would it not be worth just paying the default off, it's only about 200 which i can afford to pay immediately, I would preferably like it off my conscience asap.

Also, is not being present on the edited roll a worry? Should this be the case

Thanks for the advice btw
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • 31,602 Posts
    • 19,942 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    Ok. Can do. Would it not be worth just paying the default off, it's only about 200 which i can afford to pay immediately, I would preferably like it off my conscience asap.

Also, is not being present on the edited roll a worry? Should this be the case

Thanks for the advice btw
    Originally posted by alexsau91
    Well its up to you, why pay for a debt you aren't totally sure its yours.
    A SAR costs 10 and you send a cheque.

Ring Noddle tomorrow to double check re the "Not present on Edited Roll".
    Last edited by DCFC79; 04-03-2018 at 6:58 PM.
    • alexsau91
    • By alexsau91 4th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alexsau91
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    Good point. If the debit turns out not to be mine, would it then be removed from my credit file. If it does turn out to be mine, and I pay it off completely, how much will it negatively affect my credit file, and for how long?
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 4th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    I'm not present on the edited roll. It basically means you are on the roll including that that the CRAs see, but you are not on the roll that anyone can look at.

It's nothing to worry about.

If it is your debt, it will affect you (with the effect decreasing over time) for 6 years from the date the default was originally registered.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 4th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    I'm not present on the edited roll. It basically means you are on the roll including that that the CRAs see, but you are not on the roll that anyone can look at.
    Originally posted by cjmillsnun
    Anyone can see the full roll if they go in person. The edited one is the one sold for spamming purposes.
    • alexsau91
    • By alexsau91 4th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alexsau91
    Thank you guys for the help, I think that's everything I need to know for now!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 31,602 Posts
    • 19,942 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Wowzers OP you haven't mentooned the credit rating which is good.

Fotgot to say there is also the phone app called TotallyMoney which uses data from Call Credit and no credit card is neededfor verification purposes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,243Posts Today

8,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin