Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 4th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 20,435Posts
    • 232,284Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 5th March 2018
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 5th March 2018 4th Mar 18 at 6:21 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Magnificent Monday - Kitchen and dining room
    Level One

Clear and wipe worksurfaces
    Scrub down the front of units and large appliances - don't forget those icky handles!

Level Two

Wipe and replace small appliances
    Clean oven and hob
    Wash windows and sills

Level Three

Wipe the table and chairs... clean cloth if necessary
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Degunge the fridge!

Extras

Thoroughly clean the cutlery drawer!
    Run the WM's and DW's through a clean cycle
    Clean all the filters and door seals etc
    Before you put the cloth in the wash - wipe the catflap!
    HHI
    A new month has started - make sure you have all cards needed!

Triffic Tuesday

Bathroom blitz....

Are you ready Steve?. Uh uh, Andy? Yeah Mick? Okay alright fellas...

Let's goooooooo

Level one

Open windows
    Remove rubbish
    Take toothglass downstairs for washing
    Remove towels

Level 2
    Scrub bath/ shower and don't forget screen and taps
    Polish taps with mf cloth
    Wipe Bath panel
    Douse loo in loo cleaner
    Scrub out loo
    Wipe outside if loo with cloth
    Put loo cloth in wm

Level 3
    Scrub sink
    Wipe/polish any cabinets
    Polish sink taps
    Vacuum/ mop floor
    Put out clean towels

Extras
    Remove fly corpses from light fitting
    Clean pelmets and skirting and any dust traps
    Do something nice for those you love - bake a cake...or a batch of Twinks
    Work on one (at least) of your challenges...MAD half hour!

Wednesday - Beautiful Bedroom

Level 1
    Open the window
    strip the bed
    clean window
    make bed
    dust sill
    dust curtain rails/pelmets

Level 2
    dust all surfaces
    wipe light pulls/switches
    wipe cosmetic bottles with a just-damp cloth
    polish mirrors

Level 3
    vacuum/dust all light fittings
    clear detritus from bedside tables
    empty any bins
    vacuum/sweep floors

extras
    clear bedside cabinets
    HHI
    S&S kitchen and bathroom
    MAD half hour - challenge time

Thursday look after the lounge day

Level 1

Open windows and let in fresh air
    Empty bin
    Flick a cobweb duster round coving, along picture rail and over light fittings
    Vacuum or wipe sofa and swap cushions and/or seat pads
    Plump cushions
    Tidy and clean coffee/side tables

Level 2

Dust everywhere and wipe sticky spots inc switches with a damp cloth
    Don't forget skirting, tops of doors and sills and curtain tracks

Level 3

Thorough vacuum inc under furniture
    Don't forget the edges
    Wipe door - both sides
    Clean window

Extras

s&s bathrooms, kitchen
    HHI
    Plan some me time or down time for this weekend
    Challenge work - use your MAD half hour

Final Flourish Friday - those neglected or high-traffic areas

Halls, stairs, landing, porch

Level 1

Clear out the clutter
    Whack the mats against a wall
    Clean windows and mirrors

Level 2

Dust all horizontal surfaces
    Wipe banisters, light switches and sticky finger traps
    Assign shoe-cleaning duty to shoe owners

Level 3
    Check high places and dark corners for webs
    Sweep, mop and vacuum the floor - whichever's best for your flooring

Extras
    Assign a child to pocket checking - make sure nothing unpleasant is being harboured
    Give kiddies a bin bag - to fill from their OWN room
    Find a frog and start to nibble it and/or MAD half hour
    S&S bathroom and kitchen
    Last edited by Valli; 08-03-2018 at 9:53 PM. Reason: [
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 8
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 50,372 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    You are missed Mrs MP, and we're looking forward to you being able to post again when life calms down a bit.

Sorry you lost your student, Lynne and thank you to both you and Narco for being supportive. I'm well underqualified to claim any expertise but he seemed happy with what we achieved. The gentleman being 85 some might think it's not worth it, but he can't wait to read books! He's been patched up by the NHS several times (bypass surgery etc etc) and he's waiting for a knee replacement, but he'll get there. I hope I'm as energetic and ready to learn something challenging when I'm his age.

My list today is a bit of a monster:
    - trim beef ribs and freeze
    - wash carpet outside shower room
    - bed away
    - make slightly froggie phone call
    - laundry away

- brush out dags from Kelpie's trousers
    - finish desiliconing the bath
    - seal the bath
    - swish and swipe shower room
    - wash shower room floor
    - quick check of letting rooms and turn radiator up
    - finish vacuumming lower stairs and landing
    - re-mealplan
    - refill pill boxes
    - speaker from attic
    - Milly Molly Mandy
    - bank reconciliation
    - refill bird pots
    - water new plants
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 09-03-2018 at 3:15 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 9th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 36,730 Posts
    • 472,781 Thanks
    pigpen
    I think OH is a feeder!!!

I said, weeks ago, I was going to see if my hips felt better if there was less of me to lug about... so last nigth he brought home 3KG of jellybeans/skittles.. and 1kg of turkey... and today he bought me a battenberg... Now, while I truly appreciate the thought I don't think these things are condusive to having a smaller derriere and my hip feeling better... So I have to ask the question.. does he want me to be a big fat porker?? I am so close to fitting in my pretty summer dresses and he is just messing it up.. does he want me to complain all summer again? Does he want to me buy new clothes we cannot afford and I do not need because I have 2 chests of drawers full of beautiful things by rump is too round for!

Battenberg duly fed to children.. and sweets put away where my piggy eyes cannot see.

He is also being very... man.. this week.. can't think for himself, can't do anything without being nagged 1000 times, standing in the way ALL the time and contributing nothing but a nice place to gather dust! I am not having this behaviour!

DS3 has been ordered to get a job.. I don't care what job, or where, just a job! He is 19 and has no excuse!

I am not pleasant to live with this week .. I do not have PMT, I am just fed up of dealing with idiots.. the nice teacher at school is at it too so I'm blaming the moon!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 £53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 9th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 36,730 Posts
    • 472,781 Thanks
    pigpen
    Clean laundry put away.. after folding 6 loads!
    2 loads hung up to dry.. few more bits to do but I ran out of doors to hang stuff on!
    DW x2

I may have to gag Dot.. she is being a total witch!!

Wallpaper arrived for DD3's room.. it is nothing like the pictures.. but it is pretty so it will do.

I need some time off before I lose my cool entirely.. I can't remember the last time I had some child free time so do anything.. even my nail appointments are losing their appeal.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 9th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 121,957 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Evening

Work done , a rough day, enough said
    Soup for dinner4
    Hooved around
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -10 so far and counting!!
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 9th Mar 18, 10:49 PM
    • 5,343 Posts
    • 55,181 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

Cases packed and tickets and passports in bag.

Holibobs start here so having a glass of wine before I hit the sack.

Hope you all have a great week and plenty of warm, dry, sunny weather.

Hugs all round. Leaving my sticks and spoons by the door with a bucket of GUAG - help yourselves whilst I'm swanning around Valencia

hasta luego !
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130x61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 10th Mar 18, 7:01 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 20,050 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Happy holidays Lynne xx

Morning all

Iím up and at it this morning, mainly because I have been assured that I am having a day off from all domestics tomorrow so donít mind getting cracking this morning. Iíve unloaded the DW, sorted the recycling and will walk the dog shortly.

Busy but nice day ahead with lots of family visiting. Have lovely days all x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 10th Mar 18, 7:25 AM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 36,029 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all

Nice day yesterday: out for lunch and a spot of window shopping about halfway between here and Dizzy Imp's (maybe MW would be a good place to meet one day?), then to see DS2, DDiL2 and DGS3+4. DS2 cooked tea and had made a birthday cake for DGS4 in the shape of a l!!!8364;g0 brick, with firefighters on top with the three candles We all played Pass the Parcel, and Rosie enjoyed some of the pasta and sausage bake I was given a lovely card for Mother's Day and two school photos for our wall

DS2 lent me some books and gave me some great tips for my next college assignment

Today I must do as much flying as is possible with backache - probably caused by driving DH's car long distances, and moving the church chairs on Thursday to make space for the toddlers. I've also got a translation to finish this weekend.
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 51,927 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope your back eases Ionafan.

Piggers - my DH is a feeder too although I can't blame him for my lack of willpower. Lost 2lbs on slinkies this week but this still means I'm a lb heavier than when I started in January.

I've also been a mare to live with this week. PMT which DH said was the worst I'd been in years and then just feeling rough. Ok now though and ready for the weekend which will be spent entirely with family for Mother's Day.

Flying-wise -I may put the hoover round.

Have a great day everyone.
    Savings 2018: £1478.11
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 10th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Have a lovely holiday Lynne x

Rainy here, awake early, snuggled up reading in bed. No idea what the day brings. DS is playing footie and we have one GF sleeping over.

A bit of washing to sort and some tidying to do but nothing drastic. Oh and the dreaded finances to look at!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 51,927 Thanks
    Jazee
    Bed made, yesterday's washing all off airers and put away, dogs groomed and have had some training and playing. I'm waiting for DD to arrive before having breakfast or doing dog walking.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 10th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 7,340 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good morning.

Have a lovely holiday, Lynne.

School uniform washed, a few bits have been WUALTD. Bizarrely the kitchen smells of fried onions, even though we haven't had any, so a candle is sorting that out rather than open the window too much.

I'm not sure what today brings, although it is taxi service duties from lunchtime. Really cba at the moment, so I'll have another cuppa and a think. I'd really like to get out in the garden for an hour or so, but it is windy and raining on and off. Cuppa time if anyone fancies one
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 10th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 50,372 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    It's a good deal shorter today, but all of these must be done by tomorrow evening:
    - finish desiliconing the bath
    - finish sealing the bath
    - swish and swipe shower room
    - wash shower room floor
    - finish vacuumming lower stairs and landing

I'm taking OH out to breakfast this morning because we've got to go to a meeting that will be a tad tedious and I can't face it on an empty stomach. After that, it's back to the listy.

I have to say Kelpie has an attack of the vapours every time I start brushing his nethers so if anyone has any tricks to help him relax while I'm doing it, I'd be very grateful.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 10th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 24,245 Posts
    • 95,788 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Usual Saturday morning.

Started with my only getting up because biology dictates it to be necessary. Why, when I'm incredibly comfortable, not too hot, not too cold but Just Right, is that the point at which I desperately need a wee? And, obviously that is the point at which the Idiot Cat decides he is going into the bathroom before me, so I'm trying to step over him without giving him a nasty surprise?

After that, my brain kicked into gear and reminded me that the damn kitchen is downstairs waiting for me. So got dressed, scooped up a washload from the bedroom floor, made a point of leaving the bedroom door open so that felines could go and run and play and fight over his head if they wished to and headed downstairs.

Considering I've already done a massive amount of overtime this week and was half crippled by somewhere in the region of a hundred trips up and down flights of stairs at work - to the extent that somebody gave me a lift home and I spent yesterday pretty much confined to a desk because I couldn't walk, it wasn't nice to survey the scene as I looked around for a mug.

Started by swearing loudly about why I have to spend every blasted weekend cleaning the blasted kitchen, whilst throwing away bits of food and wrappers/packets. Then stacking plates, draining the slimy sink and scrubbing it.

And then I lifted a teaplate off the top of a pan.

Oh. Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Leftover chicken, mash and peas from LAST SUNDAY.

He has genuinely done sod all for an entire week.

Cups placed into superhot bowl of soapy water to soak and I decided to have a cuppa with the least minging mug, as I could get it clean with a quick wash under the tap.

Strange sounds came from upstairs. He got up at 11.30am, rather than his usual weekend 3-5pm, and he's currently taking out recycling and by the sounds of it, doing the next load of washing up.

HB I have to deal with Fluffy Grumpy Cat's feathers and bum fluff, which she finds an extreme insult to her personage. The way I do it with her is initially brushing her Happy Places - face, head, cheeks, back, quick brush to tail and feathers, return to Happy Places and continue in that fashion. It's only when she gets really dreadlocked (rare, but can happen) or is truly vile that I go to the nuclear option - I cut the damn things off. At her worst, I do just flip her over and clip it all down around her rear end, get roundly told off and then release her to sulk somewhere. She gets over herself pretty quickly and usually tolerates all but the last couple of snips, where she's clearly had enough and the whirring grumble starts up. Although she probably knows full well the alternative to this is being given a bath, so it's in her interests to put up and shut up

If I had a dog now, I'd probably try to train them to associate something happening round their rear end and remaining calm with being given a treat. Or, if necessary, attach a lead to the bannister so they can't turn round and express displeasure with their teeth, using that time to pay attention to head, neck and ears, etc, as well, whilst stopping to give them a treat every so often.

Yup. He's doing more washing up. I think I might have to insist he changes the water though, as it's the same one for at least two bowls now, so it's going to be disgusting.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Valli
    • By Valli 10th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 20,435 Posts
    • 232,284 Thanks
    Valli
    After a stupidly busy week and a games night with DS, his Gf and his friend and friend's sister (and both girls have the same forename!) and wine house was a tip. But, despite my slightly tender head I started off by cleaning the drain covers from the sink/DW and the WM (separate drain (?) in boiling water and soda crystals. Was impressed by stomach holding on to contents.

Dining room (grim) and kitchen (also grim) will be the first to be sparkled. With the help of The Now Show.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 51,927 Thanks
    Jazee
    I have walked the dogs (doing errands on the way), S&S'd both bathrooms and the kitchen and am now having lunch.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 10th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 22,266 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Have a great holiday Lynne.
    Amazingly can still walk after the 1hr 20 Clubbercise 'masterclass' last night but was disgusted to be 1lb heavier than last time I weighed.

Picked foliage and went round to church friend's house where 8 of us made up the posies to hand out for Mothering Sunday at church tomorrow. A very pleasant and sociable way to spend a morning, especially with coffee and cakes....couldn't refuse as she had specially remembered my intolerance and made me fruit flapjack. Ran all the way home (not far and a fraction of my running route) and could hardly breathe for 10 mins. More doom & gloom and still coughing.

Wrote a list with Mr N of what we want to achieve today. He's going away to Cyprus with our bereaved friend on Wed so has washed and ironed what he needs.

Went through a few more holiday photos.

Cancelled milk.

Lunch now then various listy shopping tasks.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 10,473 Posts
    • 114,349 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I'm well underqualified to claim any expertise but he seemed happy with what we achieved. The gentleman being 85 some might think it's not worth it, but he can't wait to read books! He's been patched up by the NHS several times (bypass surgery etc etc) and he's waiting for a knee replacement, but he'll get there. I hope I'm as energetic and ready to learn something challenging when I'm his age.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    Utter rot! Not worth it?? The gentleman may well have over a decade of reading pleasure ahead of him. Of course it's worth it! More power to him!
    I think OH is a feeder!!!

I said, weeks ago, I was going to see if my hips felt better if there was less of me to lug about... so last nigth he brought home 3KG of jellybeans/skittles.. and 1kg of turkey... and today he bought me a battenberg... Now, while I truly appreciate the thought I don't think these things are condusive to having a smaller derriere and my hip feeling better... So I have to ask the question.. does he want me to be a big fat porker?? I am so close to fitting in my pretty summer dresses and he is just messing it up.. does he want me to complain all summer again? Does he want to me buy new clothes we cannot afford and I do not need because I have 2 chests of drawers full of beautiful things by rump is too round for!
    Originally posted by pigpen
    I have precisely the same problem; I'm trying to shift 2 stone, and Mr LW keeps putting stuff in front of me without even asking if I want anything. And of course I feel obliged to eat it because he's gone to the bother. It's sweet of him to bother, I know; and he's aware that I can literally forget to eat - but it does seem at times as if he's trying to sabotage my attempts.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    I thought it was just me that referred to dogs' "trousers".

Lizzie is here; she couldn't wait to come in the front door when she arrived, and was literally squeaking with excitement. She's currently watching "doggy tv" that is to say observing the squirrels and pigeons through the patio door.
    I'm hoping having her here will quell some of my anxiety; I've gotten to the stage of not being able to carry a mug full of coffee because my hands are shaking too much.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 10th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 50,372 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Thanks Jojo. He loves his head and back being brushed now but he's still not crazy about his flanks being done, and his trousers are a completely no go area at he moment. Given that he had to be sedated in rescue to have his between-toe-dags cut out, it's progress but we're still not quite there yet - treats it is.

Utter rot! Not worth it?? The gentleman may well have over a decade of reading pleasure ahead of him. Of course it's worth it! More power to him!
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Never too old to learn new stuff - it's just that I've never met anyone before at 85 who's so desperate and determined to conquer such a lifelong disability. I can't tell you how fundamentally that changes my outlook on aging. And you're right about at least a whole decade of reading being very likely for him, he's very fit.

I thought it was just me that referred to dogs' "trousers".
    The hydrotherapy vet nurse, who I really, really like, calls them his knickers, as in, 'His knickers are a bit of a mess and could do with a bit of attention.'

Lizzie is here; she couldn't wait to come in the front door when she arrived, and was literally squeaking with excitement. She's currently watching "doggy tv" that is to say observing the squirrels and pigeons through the patio door.
    I'm hoping having her here will quell some of my anxiety; I've gotten to the stage of not being able to carry a mug full of coffee because my hands are shaking too much.
    Sorry your anxiety is having such a strong effect on you, LW. I hope Lizzie works her magic. Lucky her having such a great holiday home.

Breakfast was excellent, and OH has now been told how much I like going out for brekkers - more, actually, than going out for dinner. Meeting was interesting after all and I rather think I've committed myself to going on a demo for the first time ever. OH says he'll sit with Kelpie for the afternoon so I can finish sealing the bath and deal with the bathroom sink from start to finish. Good. If I can get just them finished today I'll be more than happy.
    Keeping it AF
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 10th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 36,029 Thanks
    ionafan
    After DH had gone out I took ibuprofen and parrots, went back to bed and slept until 10.30. Very unusual for me (I usually nap on the sofa after lunch) but it has eased my backache

Ate a late second breakfast, showered, dressed, wrote two cards; dashed down to postbox just after 11.30 and saw that it still said "SAT" on the collection day tab, so dropped the cards in rather than wait in the crowded PO to hand them over to the counter clerk to be put in the sack. However, there was an ominous clunk as the letters landed in the box, which might mean that the postman had simply forgotten to change the tab I hope not, as I'd like my friend to receive her birthday card on her birthday (ie Monday), but fortunately I can send her an e-card as well.

Since getting home I have tidied and thoroughly dusted all the downstairs rooms

Felt peckish again, so I have just scoffed a tin of baked beans (out of the tin to save washing up ) and am now going to heave the Dy$0n out of the utility. Rosie would prefer it if I took her for her walk *now* but she will have to wait (we don't usually go out before 3.30) while I hoover downstairs and upstairs and steam mop the kitchen floor.
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 10th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 36,730 Posts
    • 472,781 Thanks
    pigpen
    I managed to get Pixie to her 11:30am party which turned out to be 11am.. so bit of a dash at 10:15 to get her ready but we were there on time, I just went without the present because I was going to use that last half hour to dig something out of my present stash. DS3 took the present when he went to pick her up.

Came home, fed the girls, got them ready for swimming,, managed to get them there for 12:40.. some kind of limpy speed record for me! But dot was an absolute terror.. and I ignored her.. I was watching and listening and occasioanlly grinned to myself.. and I played on my phone and listened to dot being told off repeatedly, threatened to be sat on the side (which did eventually happen) and threats of getting the man teacher to tell her off... I sat through it all in complete and utter fake obliviousness.. I love it when people think they know my daughter better than I do and try to tell me how she should be held in line... I rather like her as she is and don't think she should be forced to comply and become a sheep like everyone else.. the world needs some character and spontaneous and impulsive... yes she drives me insane and she is such hard work but I like her!

Anyway.. we trekked back from swimming.. and I am having a cuppa before starting on the venture that is dinner.. I have rice and quorn for me and if-its for the others.. I shall crack out the mixed veg too because I love it!

TD went on before I went out this morning and the remainder of the wet stuff was hung up.. Twinkle is snoozing and I have 2 ebeast parcels I need to go post once I have slurped my tea and parcelled todays sale. I photographed the next box full to list.. it is almost all new in this box somehow! I have a brand new regatta raincoat in size 10.. I've not been size 10 since the beginning of 2000!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,046Posts Today

7,887Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin