Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 4th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 20,441Posts
    • 232,331Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 5th March 2018
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 5th March 2018 4th Mar 18 at 6:21 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Magnificent Monday - Kitchen and dining room
    Level One

Clear and wipe worksurfaces
    Scrub down the front of units and large appliances - don't forget those icky handles!

Level Two

Wipe and replace small appliances
    Clean oven and hob
    Wash windows and sills

Level Three

Wipe the table and chairs... clean cloth if necessary
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Degunge the fridge!

Extras

Thoroughly clean the cutlery drawer!
    Run the WM's and DW's through a clean cycle
    Clean all the filters and door seals etc
    Before you put the cloth in the wash - wipe the catflap!
    HHI
    A new month has started - make sure you have all cards needed!

Triffic Tuesday

Bathroom blitz....

Are you ready Steve?. Uh uh, Andy? Yeah Mick? Okay alright fellas...

Let's goooooooo

Level one

Open windows
    Remove rubbish
    Take toothglass downstairs for washing
    Remove towels

Level 2
    Scrub bath/ shower and don't forget screen and taps
    Polish taps with mf cloth
    Wipe Bath panel
    Douse loo in loo cleaner
    Scrub out loo
    Wipe outside if loo with cloth
    Put loo cloth in wm

Level 3
    Scrub sink
    Wipe/polish any cabinets
    Polish sink taps
    Vacuum/ mop floor
    Put out clean towels

Extras
    Remove fly corpses from light fitting
    Clean pelmets and skirting and any dust traps
    Do something nice for those you love - bake a cake...or a batch of Twinks
    Work on one (at least) of your challenges...MAD half hour!

Wednesday - Beautiful Bedroom

Level 1
    Open the window
    strip the bed
    clean window
    make bed
    dust sill
    dust curtain rails/pelmets

Level 2
    dust all surfaces
    wipe light pulls/switches
    wipe cosmetic bottles with a just-damp cloth
    polish mirrors

Level 3
    vacuum/dust all light fittings
    clear detritus from bedside tables
    empty any bins
    vacuum/sweep floors

extras
    clear bedside cabinets
    HHI
    S&S kitchen and bathroom
    MAD half hour - challenge time

Thursday look after the lounge day

Level 1

Open windows and let in fresh air
    Empty bin
    Flick a cobweb duster round coving, along picture rail and over light fittings
    Vacuum or wipe sofa and swap cushions and/or seat pads
    Plump cushions
    Tidy and clean coffee/side tables

Level 2

Dust everywhere and wipe sticky spots inc switches with a damp cloth
    Don't forget skirting, tops of doors and sills and curtain tracks

Level 3

Thorough vacuum inc under furniture
    Don't forget the edges
    Wipe door - both sides
    Clean window

Extras

s&s bathrooms, kitchen
    HHI
    Plan some me time or down time for this weekend
    Challenge work - use your MAD half hour

Final Flourish Friday - those neglected or high-traffic areas

Halls, stairs, landing, porch

Level 1

Clear out the clutter
    Whack the mats against a wall
    Clean windows and mirrors

Level 2

Dust all horizontal surfaces
    Wipe banisters, light switches and sticky finger traps
    Assign shoe-cleaning duty to shoe owners

Level 3
    Check high places and dark corners for webs
    Sweep, mop and vacuum the floor - whichever's best for your flooring

Extras
    Assign a child to pocket checking - make sure nothing unpleasant is being harboured
    Give kiddies a bin bag - to fill from their OWN room
    Find a frog and start to nibble it and/or MAD half hour
    S&S bathroom and kitchen
    Last edited by Valli; 08-03-2018 at 9:53 PM. Reason: [
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 10
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 4,443 Posts
    • 52,092 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hugs Dizzy x
    Savings 2018: 1573.11
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 24,260 Posts
    • 95,847 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Well.

My husband doesn't care about me anymore and is thinking of leaving.

I'm trying to hold it together.
    Originally posted by Dizzy Imp
    I'm sorry he is such an @rse.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 11th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 20,061 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Dizzy - hold it together. Rant, rave and sound off to us if you need to. Ultimately, make sure you do what is right for you and your boys.

Sending you all the love and strength vibes xxx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 11th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 36,733 Posts
    • 472,823 Thanks
    pigpen
    Well.

My husband doesn't care about me anymore and is thinking of leaving.

I'm trying to hold it together.
    Originally posted by Dizzy Imp
    Babe.. help him pack... It is almost like the 'coin toss' moment for them.. they realise they are either really upset by the thought of leaving and want to stay OR They are relieved and go.. either way.. you will survive, you will be fine.

He does care.. otherwise he wouldn't be in a muddle about leaving/staying.. but threatening you and leaving you all in a tizz is rather abusive, having the power over you to make you feel rubbish.. You are stronger than you think, stronger than him.. and you would survive on your own, you do not need him.. you choose to let him stay because you care.

Beasties fed.. hotdogs rolled in bread and butter.. and Best Mummy Award goes.. to ME!!! lol

TD done

DW next!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • Valli
    • By Valli 11th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 20,441 Posts
    • 232,331 Thanks
    Valli
    oh Dizzy (((hugs)))

I think Piggers speaks wise words.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 24,260 Posts
    • 95,847 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Dealt with the washing up in the end. It annoyed me to see it there. And if I hadn't, I fully expect that it would have been waiting for me next weekend. Also cleared the surfaces, wiped them down properly this time and dried underneath the butcher's block so it doesn't warp any more than it has already.

He's still in bed. Yesterday was a temporary aberration. He went to bed at the same time as me (when I couldn't see straight any more from working with the awful score and he'd been upstairs on his laptop) and was asleep within minutes. But he's still asleep - or at least lying up there with his eyes closed - now?

Now, I know he gets up half an hour before me during the week to make me tea and a generally miserable packed lunch, but not only has he then got the ability to go straight back to bed as soon as I leave, it's not as if he is doing anything else during the day - he leaves the twatting about on the computer or on a guitar for the evenings, so I spend most of them sat downstairs, just me and the felines, other when a meal - frequently a takeaway or what I would call half a meal, as it lacks veg or protein or flavour, texture, calories, vitamins.... - gets lobbed in my direction.

Bah. I know neither of us has much to do with our respective offspring (their/their other parents' choices, not ours), which I don't like in the slightest but have learned to accept in order to function as a human being - but it would be nice if he had at least made the effort to check I was OK today.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 11th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 121,957 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Right

Since 8.30am
    DW on
    Gardening done until 1.10pm!! this included 2 tips runs, OH at 10am when he came to help, and of course the 'help' of the cat who spent most of his time dashing through the leaves I was clearing up!
    OH now out on his motorbike saying he doesn't know where he is going, but will be back at 3pm for the rugby.

Dizzy hugs large ones at that, I personally would tell him if he is going to get on with it, call his bluff...........Don't let him have a hold over you........xx
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -10 so far and counting!!
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 11th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 7,361 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Dizzy - super large hugs for you. Piggers and Kaz speak wise words as always. Xx
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 11th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 36,733 Posts
    • 472,823 Thanks
    pigpen
    GLIIIIITTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

My bathroom is bejazzled! .. pics to follow once it is actually clean!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 10,489 Posts
    • 114,551 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Dizzy (((HUGS))) and strength vibes. As usual, Piggers has put it far better than I could hope to. x
    Feel very rested. I can sympathise with LW as my anxiety is really bad at the moment but thankfully it comes and goes.
    Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    *sigh* I know what's set off this really bad go of it.
    Switching to Flylady Code:

Some serious shyte has gone down for a poster on another thread that I contribute to waffle on. And it's brought back a whole load of stuff from when the Ex threatened to have me sectioned. And then went on to say - and I quote his words exactly, as they have stayed with me all these years - "Go ahead and commit suicide if you want to".
    I'm trying not to let it get to me, and be supportive to the friend on the other thread, but truth be told, it is taking it's toll. - I'm frightened because I do still deal with suicidal thoughts on a daily basis; normally I can rationalise everything and get through that period unscathed, but I can sort of feel my control slipping - need to hitch it up, like an errant bath towel!

Ah well - Onwards and upwards. 2 x WM loads done today; Lizzie thoroughly enjoyed her walk at sparrowfart this morning (we left yesterday's clothes on the bedroom chair, then threw them back on this morning, walked and fed her, and then ran the daily bath!!)
    She's currently spark out on the Doghouse cushions.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 11-03-2018 at 2:50 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 11th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 36,733 Posts
    • 472,823 Thanks
    pigpen
    LW ... but you didn't and you escaped that nasty person and you can help the friend by giving her the same strength you had inside you.. in spite of everything you were going through at the time you got out of there!! You have so much to offer from your experience and I am sure you can get that across eloquently. (((((hugs)))))
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 11th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    • 13,090 Posts
    • 115,139 Thanks
    lil_me
    Well I appear to be turning into a weekend flutterer rather than a flier but guess that is just life at the moment

Washer is on, driers on, nearly caught up washing up and I have made a start on reorganising the kitchen cupboards

Going to go do some more, happy mothers day ladies x
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC May : 400
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 11th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 121,957 Thanks
    kazwookie
    It is now raining here, so glad I had cleared up the tools etc and come in

OH is back, bike away, and now we are about to watch the rugby.

We have just had Christmas pudding and custard, we know how to live
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -10 so far and counting!!
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 11th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 36,038 Thanks
    ionafan
    Dizzy, I am speechless, except to say that we Flyladies are here for you if you need us. Much love and (((hugs))) xx
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    • Valli
    • By Valli 11th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 20,441 Posts
    • 232,331 Thanks
    Valli
    e mail sent to councillor about rubbish on neighbours front garden (again). I phoned the council (again) on Friday.

Thank you Honey Bear
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 11th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 36,733 Posts
    • 472,823 Thanks
    pigpen
    GLITTER

My bathroom looks like a discoball!
    Last edited by pigpen; 11-03-2018 at 6:48 PM.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 11th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 50,433 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    On Mothering Sunday, Dizzy? Never mind what he thinks he wants or doesn't, what do you want?

Thanks for that suggestion Narco, but as I volunteer at the foodbank it's unlikely there is the kind of spare cash about for a kindle. The gentleman has said that he thinks it's the one-to-one that's making the difference this time - the centre manager is absolutely brilliant and it's her that normally works with him, but she was doing a manual handling course this week. If the subject comes up I'll mention that there are options - and thank you so much for suggesting them.

LW, if helping someone is causing you to rubberband back to an experience that is haunting you, it might be wise to think about putting yourself first and gently bowing out until you feel safe again.

I've finished the sealant around the bath and sink and tidied everything away - hurarh. Still working on Kelpie's dags; it's almost as if he's shy. Smelly dog blankets run through the WM although it's raining, oh well, never mind. Lodger in, stayed here last year so that's easy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 24,260 Posts
    • 95,847 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    GLITTER

My bathroom looks like a discoball!
    Originally posted by pigpen
    Can't see it. Says I'm not allowed to/not part of the sharing. Not entirely convinced about the notion, what with my aversion to glitter (other when historically sending kids home to their other parents with carefully crafted creations involving about five tubs of the stuff )- but I'm nosey and would be happy to be converted to the idea if it looks nice.

[wonders: could you have done the 'share to all but' when you had issues with CF and FB? Or is it just my general internet incompetence? Just messaged if you wanted to add me again, but if you don't want to, fair enough ]

Himself was hoyed out of bed at 2.30pm, he made tea, watched Bake Off and then disappeared upstairs again. I've been practising and my wrists hurt. But there are hints of movement back up there again.

Oh well, had he been up earlier, he might have avoided the downpour that's been going on for about 3 hours now. Never mind, dear. It'll help you feel better (he's got slightly swollen glands in his neck, so needed the extra long snoring session, apparently). AND HE'S UP AGAIN! [sarcastic round of applause]
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 11-03-2018 at 6:21 PM.

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 11th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 36,733 Posts
    • 472,823 Thanks
    pigpen
    does this one work?
    • Valli
    • By Valli 11th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 20,441 Posts
    • 232,331 Thanks
    Valli
    yes!

pretty!

2 sales on flea bay woot

Thank you Honey Bear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin