Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 4th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    Wedding certificates
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    Wedding certificates 4th Mar 18 at 5:35 PM
    Unsure where to post this

We recently got married

Due to name change, we've purchased 6 additional Wedding certificates for our financial and legal bodies, passport, driving licence, bank, mortgage etc.., etc.,

Sending each one by Royal Mail "Special Delivery" works out expensive, these are normal A4 letter standard envelopes.

Is there a cheaper alternative to Royal Mail "Special Delivery"

From what I can see online, most courier companies, UK Mail, DPD, Hermes etc., etc., all refer to "parcels"
Page 1
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 4th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    Did all of those bodies actually require an original certificate? I ask because we did this 30 years ago, name change included, and we had one certificate which we photocopied. I have done the same with birth certificates and passport pages.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 4th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    Did all of those bodies actually require an original certificate? I ask because we did this 30 years ago, name change included, and we had one certificate which we photocopied. I have done the same with birth certificates and passport pages.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Apparently, "Copy" is not accepted, only 1 official marriage certificate is given, all other's are "copies" however, these are acceptable providing they have been provided by the local council that conducted the ceremony.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 4th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    Why not just send them using the normal post? You have six of them, so even if one goes missing at some point it's not a big deal, also, I doubt these companies send them back special delivery, so why do you need to send them special delivery? If you really feel the need to track them then registered delivery should be fine (and cheaper).
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 4th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    It's preference to send them by special delivery, I'd feel more comfortable.

Registered delivery may be the option, I take it RM would be the cheapest (based on your comment)
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 19,367 Posts
    • 44,901 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:23 PM

Registered delivery may be the option, I take it RM would be the cheapest (based on your comment)
    Originally posted by Beverley Hillbillies
    It's either 1st or 2nd class Signed For, it's about 1 more than normal 1st or 2nd class

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/uk-signed

But as above, why bother if they're going to be returned to you normal post?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 4th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 2,921 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    All certificates are copies .... the only original document is the register entry itself.

It is nice to keep a certificate issued on the day of the wedding, but it is still a copy.

Normal post is fine ..You can always buy more if you need them, and bear in mind that as a public record anyone can order a copy of your certificate at any time so not worth getting too concerned about.
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 4th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    bear in mind that as a public record anyone can order a copy of your certificate at any time so not worth getting too concerned about.
    Originally posted by TonyMMM
    Ah, OK, thanks for that, you're correct, now I accept, it's not worth getting to concerned about.
    • Naf
    • By Naf 4th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Naf
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    One or two certificates is sufficient - all of these companies are going to return them to you.

I understand wanting to send them with some sort of tracking, but signed for/recorded or whatever should be fine I wouldn't bother with special.

To be honest, though, this isn't something which really would benefit the company to claim never arrived, nor that you're going to have to prove was delivered. Just 2nd class standard would do you fine, and as has been said before, that's how it'll come back to you.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 4th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    You may also be able to use certified copies - photocopies signed by a solicitor to say they are true copies of the original.

If it were me I'd just use standard post - its uncommon for things to go missing in the post.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 4th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 3,889 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    All certificates are copies .... the only original document is the register entry itself.

It is nice to keep a certificate issued on the day of the wedding, but it is still a copy.

Normal post is fine ..You can always buy more if you need them, and bear in mind that as a public record anyone can order a copy of your certificate at any time so not worth getting too concerned about.
    Originally posted by TonyMMM
    Tony beat me to it.

I think this obsession with so-called originals dates back to when photocopies only worked in black and white and it was possible to amend details,dates, etc and re-copy them.

Modern photocopiers, however, are good enough to show up every blemish and alteration.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 5th Mar 18, 1:56 AM
    • 38,480 Posts
    • 35,150 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Certainly with banks and death certificates I went into my branch of the deceased's banks and they dealt with them on the spot and handed the certificate back to me.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 5th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    We didn't buy any official copies at the time of getting married - I sent mine off (signed for) for the electoral role. They sent it back normal post and it got lost in the mail. They paid for a replacement, but that isn't the point!

As a result, it took me 18 months to get all my details changed everywhere! (waited for them to send itback, then for them to look for it, decide it had been posted and therefore lost, give me the money, apply for a new one, get it sent).

So it isn't worth worrying about! You have 6 of them.

Also, fold them! Don't send them A4.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 5th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 5,126 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    Kynthia
    I paid for two certified copies along with the original and then posted those two wherever they needed to go by normal post. There's no point being precious about the copies as it's why you got them.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 23,977 Thanks
    Slinky
    I had similar with Deed Polls when I changed my name. I paid for some extra copies and put a number on the back so I could make a note of which copy I'd sent off to which organisation. Some of them were pretty ratty with staple marks etc by the time they'd been to a couple of different organisations. I certainly wouldn't have been wanting my marriage certificate to be messed up like that.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 33,448 Posts
    • 28,349 Thanks
    custardy

Originally posted by Beverley Hillbillies
    No such thing.
    If you mean Signed for,it is no more secure than standard post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin