Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 4th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 9,434Posts
    • 16,110Thanks
    Sleazy
    97 YO Woman refuses to give up garden
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    97 YO Woman refuses to give up garden 4th Mar 18 at 4:54 PM
    Bristol woman refuses to give up her council house garden for new housing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-43277247

Bristol City Council and developers have offered her a "five-figure sum" for the land, which is owned by the authority, to widen access to the site.

Apparently she's within her rights, but what about the rights of people who need housing? The wishes of one as opposed to the needs of the many?

Sorry - meant to put this in Discussion Time
    Last edited by Sleazy; 04-03-2018 at 4:57 PM.
    Cur Sleazy
    There are those who say what's in their mind
    And those who mind what they say
    And the In-Betweeners
    Egypt & Switzerland
Page 2
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 3,593 Thanks
    cjdavies
    It wont be long, just wait it out.
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 5th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 8,088 Posts
    • 32,797 Thanks
    Flick216
    I have just seen a picture showing the amount of garden they want to take away - it's pretty much the entire front garden! Who the heck would want a road that close to your house? It would be intolerable!
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast

Australia & Spain
    • DesertWind
    • By DesertWind 5th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    DesertWind
    I have just seen a picture showing the amount of garden they want to take away - it's pretty much the entire front garden! Who the heck would want a road that close to your house? It would be intolerable!
    Originally posted by Flick216
    Agreed.

And i like said the old lady is just minding her own business, i'm sure she could do without all of this.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 3,593 Thanks
    cjdavies
    It's not that bad.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 5th Mar 18, 11:47 PM
    • 14,058 Posts
    • 26,899 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Really? Doesn;t seem to me like she;d lose that much.

• Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    It would be different if she actually owned the land, or house for that matter, but she doesn't, the Council do and she's had the benefit of it at the tax payer's expense for 50 years so it's about time she gave something back to the community.
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Council housing is funded by loans repaid through rental income, not taxation. After 50 years the rental income will easily have covered the build and maintenance costs.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 06-03-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The wishes of one as opposed to the needs of the many?
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    She's not a Vulcan

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 19,095 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Whilst I appreciate it is a pain for her. Its not her house.
    The council should be able to give her choice of a couple of houses for her to move to that are similar in the same area.

I still think that council houses should be given on limited term max 5yr contracts. With a view to evaluate them after that time. I know so many people who are in council houses that have no need to be there.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,436 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Whilst I appreciate it is a pain for her. Its not her house.
    The council should be able to give her choice of a couple of houses for her to move to that are similar in the same area.

I still think that council houses should be given on limited term max 5yr contracts. With a view to evaluate them after that time. I know so many people who are in council houses that have no need to be there.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Oooh! Inde!

If you had a 97-year-old mother who had lived in her house for 50 years, would you be happy if she were forced to move for the sake of 2 metres of front garden!?
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 19,095 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Oooh! Inde!

If you had a 97-year-old mother who had lived in her house for 50 years, would you be happy if she were forced to move for the sake of 2 metres of front garden!?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I'm not really thinking about this specific example but my query is for 50 years did she really NEED to be in a council house?

If it was my mother or even myself then I would totally understand that I was a tenant. Sometimes stuff happens. Knowing my mother as I do I know she would have taken the money and then given it straight to the grand kids.

ETA: Also she doesn't need to move!
    Last edited by indesisiv; 06-03-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 6th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 5,774 Thanks
    warehouse
    Good on her. Why should she be inconvenienced in her last years so that the council can build some more bl**dy rabbit hutches?
    Pants
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 6th Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    • 14,058 Posts
    • 26,899 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Good on her. Why should she be inconvenienced in her last years so that the council can build some more bl**dy rabbit hutches?
    Originally posted by warehouse
    Why should the millions of people unable to afford their own home be inconvenienced by an old biddy quibbling over a small strip of grass?
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 6th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    ska lover
    It is the councils OWN land, why the hell are they offering her money?

She has had it far better than many people, fifty years of cheap rent, and now shes demanding rights to land she doesn't even own, nor able to maintain... Homelessness is through the roof, young people cannot GET council places these days, but hey ho, what a selfish woman

I would be ashamed if she was a relative of mine
    Last edited by ska lover; 06-03-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Why should the millions of people unable to afford their own home be inconvenienced by an old biddy
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Are millions of people being inconvenienced by this?

• onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 6th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 14,058 Posts
    • 26,899 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Are millions of people being inconvenienced by this?
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    This suggests that with an average deposit and an average monthly mortgage payment, 42% of the country would be unaffordable if you wanted to buy a 3-bed home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23234033

And so yes, it is crucial that we embark on a major housebuilding program if we want any hope of our kids to ever afford a home of their own. NIMBYs like this lady play a big part in preventing this from happening.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 5,168 Posts
    • 8,417 Thanks
    Gavin83
    I doubt there is a single thing she wants, other than not to have construction traffic rumbling past her window all day.
    Originally posted by Dunroaming
    Well it sounds like they'll still progress with the development despite her stance so she won't avoid this anyway. If they make it intolerable enough for her to live there she might be willing to accept alternatives. After all I agree with you, no 97 year old will wish to put up with the disruption.

I don't really blame her but the rules on this are insane. It's not her land and in return for not owning that land you (should at least) lose certain rights. It's the councils land and therefore they should be free to do what they want with it and not by offering her a large sum of money. Maybe the law needs to change on this.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,436 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Well it sounds like they'll still progress with the development despite her stance so she won't avoid this anyway. If they make it intolerable enough for her to live there she might be willing to accept alternatives. After all I agree with you, no 97 year old will wish to put up with the disruption.

I don't really blame her but the rules on this are insane. It's not her land and in return for not owning that land you (should at least) lose certain rights. It's the councils land and therefore they should be free to do what they want with it and not by offering her a large sum of money. Maybe the law needs to change on this.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    The development is still going ahead.

She is not stopping it going ahead.

i don't think she has said she doesn't want the development to happen.

All she has said is.........

"The way they wanted it, they'd take most of the garden and it would be awful if I had no front garden," she said.

The developers want to widen the access road so that the council will adopt it as a public highway, that is all.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    This suggests that with an average deposit and an average monthly mortgage payment, 42% of the country would be unaffordable if you wanted to buy a 3-bed home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23234033

And so yes, it is crucial that we embark on a major housebuilding program if we want any hope of our kids to ever afford a home of their own. NIMBYs like this lady play a big part in preventing this from happening.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    You're grossly exaggerating the effect this woman will have on housing. Her actions will not affect millions of people. She is not a scapegoat for the housing shortage.

A council and a housebuilder will be affected by this. They will have to use their second choice option for access. It will have no effect on the availability of housing.

• amersall
    • By amersall 6th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 15,259 Posts
    • 18,860 Thanks
    amersall
    Jaysus... when did 97 become an inevitable age where someone 'soon shuffles off' or enters 'the last few months of her life???'

I wish Dolly a very long, prosperous and peaceful time and admire her for standing up for her rights.
    Originally posted by Ash Mc
    I totally agree with you, I used to clean for a lady, funnily enough, her name was Dolly she lived to 103 in her own home and had all her faculties, this sounds like something she would have done.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

6,011Users online

Martin's Twitter