Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 4th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 8,602Posts
    • 14,128Thanks
    Sleazy
    97 YO Woman refuses to give up garden
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    97 YO Woman refuses to give up garden 4th Mar 18 at 4:54 PM
    Bristol woman refuses to give up her council house garden for new housing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-43277247

Bristol City Council and developers have offered her a "five-figure sum" for the land, which is owned by the authority, to widen access to the site.

Apparently she's within her rights, but what about the rights of people who need housing? The wishes of one as opposed to the needs of the many?

Sorry - meant to put this in Discussion Time
    Last edited by Sleazy; 04-03-2018 at 4:57 PM.
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
Page 1
    • Dunroaming
    • By Dunroaming 4th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Dunroaming
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    Just wait until she shuffles off. Wont be that long.
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 4th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    squiggles
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    Good for her.
    • adonis
    • By adonis 4th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    adonis
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    I am sure there is plenty of other land they can use, good for her
    • borkid
    • By borkid 4th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    borkid
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    Sounds very selfish to me just because she's old doesn't give her the right to be 'bloody minded' I know too many people like this old and young.. This adds to my belief that no one should have a council house for life and tenancies should be reviewed every say 5 years. This would also sort out the people whose circumstances change and are able to rent privately or buy ( not the council house) thus releasing the house for people who need it.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    I wonder whether she even pays the rent for the house?
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 4th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    I think she's an incredibly selfish old woman

The current rules need changing immediately. It's totally ridiculous that Council house tenants have to agree to changes such as this to their tenancy agreements and even more abhorrent that the Council should have to offer this sort of person thousands of pounds for it.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 5,235 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    I imagine it would be pretty horrible for anyone to have their back garden turned into a building site. At 97, I think I would say no as well.

As others have said, the Council won't have to wait long to get the land.
    • DesertWind
    • By DesertWind 4th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    DesertWind
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    She has lived there for 50 years. She is probably too old for change, and having her garden taken over and the associated disruption during and after.

Leave her alone and in peace to end her years. She doesn't need the hassell or the hounding by greedy land developers
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 4th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    The housing can still be built.....it just means the road can!!!8217;t become adoptable so the developer is stuck with maintaining it & it might affect the value of the houses, being on an unadoptable road.

No wonder they!!!8217;re keen to give her a pay off
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Dunroaming
    • By Dunroaming 4th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Dunroaming
    I think she's an incredibly selfish old woman

The current rules need changing immediately. It's totally ridiculous that Council house tenants have to agree to changes such as this to their tenancy agreements and even more abhorrent that the Council should have to offer this sort of person thousands of pounds for it.
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Its interesting that a council is unable to pay a five figure sum to use its own land to enable the building of much needed housing. Yet all along the HS2 line people are having homes they own compulsorily purchased.
    Mad world.
    Still, if some large construction traffic runs over her garden, what can she do? Complain to the council?
    Last edited by Dunroaming; 04-03-2018 at 8:54 PM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 34,941 Posts
    • 129,745 Thanks
    Pyxis
    For goodness' sake! It's her home!

There's nothing selfish about it.

If she'd rather have her garden to enjoy for the last few months of her life than a five-figure sum, that says something, doesn't it?

Leave her alone!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Ash Mc
    • By Ash Mc 4th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Ash Mc
    Jaysus... when did 97 become an inevitable age where someone 'soon shuffles off' or enters 'the last few months of her life???'

I wish Dolly a very long, prosperous and peaceful time and admire her for standing up for her rights.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 5th Mar 18, 12:33 AM
    • 15,274 Posts
    • 130,725 Thanks
    zagubov
    Your chances of dying next year don't go over 50:50 until you're 102 IIRC.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 5th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, she is being selfish.

It would be different if she actually owned the land, or house for that matter, but she doesn't, the Council do and she's had the benefit of it at the tax payer's expense for 50 years so it's about time she gave something back to the community.

The developers have the backing of the Council so I don't see it as them being 'greedy'.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 5th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 13,988 Posts
    • 26,762 Thanks
    onlyroz
    She's being asked to give up a small strip of her *front* garden which, as a tenant, she doesn't own. Yup, I think she's being selfish. Nimbyism at its worst.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 62,486 Posts
    • 365,975 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If they're offering her money, then it's her choice whether to part with the garden. It does look like it'd make the new tiny garden very close to the road - and that front garden might have 50 years of memories of her/husband, their old/dead parents, sisters/brothers and uncles/aunts and children tending that space for decades and all the memories of the chats over the fence with neighbours and stuff.

If it's her choice, then that's that.

The fact she's been lucky to have lived in the same house for 50 years on a cheap/everlasting tenancy without having to move and that a private LL would just give her an S21 and trouser the windfall is irrelevant.

Her right, her choice. She decided.

Her choice.... that bit of front grass, or Xk and she went with memories.

She's possibly also wary and mindful about how visitors will arrive/park during the disruptions - parking that might be essential at her age with possibly carers/nurses coming and people assisting her out of the house and to their car for appointments/visits/shopping.
    • Dunroaming
    • By Dunroaming 5th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Dunroaming
    For goodness' sake! It's her home!

There's nothing selfish about it.

If she'd rather have her garden to enjoy for the last few months of her life than a five-figure sum, that says something, doesn't it?

Leave her alone!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    She is ninety seven, has probably been on a set income for decades. As she says even 100k would make no difference, I doubt there is a single thing she wants, other than not to have construction traffic rumbling past her window all day.
    I cant find her location (that looks like the news photo) on Google earth.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 5th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 7,372 Posts
    • 10,616 Thanks
    KxMx
    I do appreciate at her age this radical change seems too much.

But she'd not be forced to put up with living on a building site, she could use the payout to fund or ask developer to pay for her to stay in a 5* hotel while work takes place.

She suggests in article she'd be left with no front garden but from the article and photo she would have a front garden, just 2m smaller.

Access during/after the build, well she has them over a barrel and could get a layout agreed that would suit her needs as part of conditions for agreement.

I understand why she has said no, but do feel she is being selfish.

My Nan is 90, and I've not written anything here I wouldn't say to her.
    Last edited by KxMx; 05-03-2018 at 3:06 PM.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 5th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The garden does not look very wide, anyway, if she lost 6 ft of it the traffic would be shaking her window.

Why would she want to stay in a 5* hotel! She!!!8217;s a person, not something to be dumped out of the way. She probably has friends and neighbours around her home.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin