Electric radiators

I need to get 3 electric radiators for my bungalow, lounge, kitchen & conservatory.
I've had various quotes but have ended up even more confused and unsure of what to go for.!
Ive had the ridiculously expensive Fischer quote - nearly £4575, Rointe panel radiators at about £2000, Elktherm at £3200 but apparently very efficient and economical to run and Callisense £1500.
The price for the German brands seems crazy but is it worth it in the long run?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No. As any thread on them here will tell you.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    NO IT's NOT please don't be taken in by silver tongued sales people or glossy brochures

A £40 electric radiator of the same rating from Argos will give you exactly the same amount of heat and cost exactly the same amount to produce it as a £1500 one with a posh name filled with magic clay, boron dust, liquid gold or any other exotic filling.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 March 2018 at 5:46PM
    I need to get 3 electric radiators for my bungalow, lounge, kitchen & conservatory.
    I've had various quotes but have ended up even more confused and unsure of what to go for.!
    Ive had the ridiculously expensive Fischer quote - nearly £4575, Rointe panel radiators at about £2000, Elktherm at £3200 but apparently very efficient and economical to run and Callisense £1500.

No, no and NO!

Those heaters will cost the same to run as a £40 portable heater from B&Q. You are being sold snake oil inside a metal container. So ....erm.....warm snake oil.....

All electric radiators are 100% efficient.

A 3kw heater with a thermostat costing £45 will use the same amount of energy as a 3kw fancy german heater costing £1000.

What is your current set-up? Simple electric panel heaters or storage heaters? What is your annual kwh use?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,467
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 March 2018 at 5:59PM
    Can!!!8217;t do much better than this, well regarded brand and a decent price.

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/40-series-3kw-convector-heater-turbo-fan-and-timer

Plenty of other options on that site.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 March 2018 at 6:18PM
    It depends on what the Op's current set-up is. He/she may have storage heaters already or they may not.

If they do they want to stick with them. If not and they want to consider them, they may need a quote from an electrician to set-up an E7 circuit and install them. This ensures any dedicated E7 items do not come on during peak hours.

Storage heaters are normally the cheapest way to heat an all electric property.

What you have linked to is just a well made instant heat convector radiator. No different to any other and although cheap, you can probably get a cheaper one elsewhere.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I bought some 2KW electric heaters from CPC recently for about £12 each. Just like any electric heater they are 100% eficcient and for every KWh of electricity they use, they give out a KWh of heat.

They may not look as nice as the £1500 ones, but work just as well.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,519
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Dimplex QRAD are the way to go, keeps room at even temperature something the cheap Argos rads can't.
  • Very nice stat, but expensive.

Both convective and a front facing radiant element on QRAD's. At almost £300 & fitting for the 2.0kW that's a salty price, I could buy three or more [see ProDave] 2.0kW alternatives for the same price.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684
    First Anniversary
    Forumite

If you can afford to buy 3 radiators costing between £4.5k and £6k in total, couldn't you afford proper central heating?
  • I've got a couple of panel radiators in the bedrooms and a fan & oil filled radiator in the lounge. I took out the storage heater as it was big & ugly and kicks out heat at the wrong time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure