Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rosie's world
    • By Rosie's world 4th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rosie's world
    Electric radiators
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    Electric radiators 4th Mar 18 at 4:40 PM
    I need to get 3 electric radiators for my bungalow, lounge, kitchen & conservatory.
    I've had various quotes but have ended up even more confused and unsure of what to go for.!
    Ive had the ridiculously expensive Fischer quote - nearly 4575, Rointe panel radiators at about 2000, Elktherm at 3200 but apparently very efficient and economical to run and Callisense 1500.
    The price for the German brands seems crazy but is it worth it in the long run?
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 4th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    No. As any thread on them here will tell you.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 4th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    NO IT's NOT please don't be taken in by silver tongued sales people or glossy brochures

A 40 electric radiator of the same rating from Argos will give you exactly the same amount of heat and cost exactly the same amount to produce it as a 1500 one with a posh name filled with magic clay, boron dust, liquid gold or any other exotic filling.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 4th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    I need to get 3 electric radiators for my bungalow, lounge, kitchen & conservatory.
    I've had various quotes but have ended up even more confused and unsure of what to go for.!
    Ive had the ridiculously expensive Fischer quote - nearly 4575, Rointe panel radiators at about 2000, Elktherm at 3200 but apparently very efficient and economical to run and Callisense 1500.
    Originally posted by Rosie's world
    No, no and NO!

Those heaters will cost the same to run as a 40 portable heater from B&Q. You are being sold snake oil inside a metal container. So ....erm.....warm snake oil.....

All electric radiators are 100% efficient.

A 3kw heater with a thermostat costing 45 will use the same amount of energy as a 3kw fancy german heater costing 1000.

-----

What is your current set-up? Simple electric panel heaters or storage heaters? What is your annual kwh use?
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 04-03-2018 at 5:46 PM.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 4th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    • 7,478 Posts
    • 5,958 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    Can!!!8217;t do much better than this, well regarded brand and a decent price.

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/40-series-3kw-convector-heater-turbo-fan-and-timer

Plenty of other options on that site.
    Last edited by daveyjp; 04-03-2018 at 5:59 PM.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 4th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    It depends on what the Op's current set-up is. He/she may have storage heaters already or they may not.

If they do they want to stick with them. If not and they want to consider them, they may need a quote from an electrician to set-up an E7 circuit and install them. This ensures any dedicated E7 items do not come on during peak hours.

Storage heaters are normally the cheapest way to heat an all electric property.

What you have linked to is just a well made instant heat convector radiator. No different to any other and although cheap, you can probably get a cheaper one elsewhere.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 04-03-2018 at 6:18 PM.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 4th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    I bought some 2KW electric heaters from CPC recently for about 12 each. Just like any electric heater they are 100% eficcient and for every KWh of electricity they use, they give out a KWh of heat.

They may not look as nice as the 1500 ones, but work just as well.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 5th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    Dimplex QRAD are the way to go, keeps room at even temperature something the cheap Argos rads can't.
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 5th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 6,380 Posts
    • 4,797 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    Very nice stat, but expensive.

Both convective and a front facing radiant element on QRAD's. At almost 300 & fitting for the 2.0kW that's a salty price, I could buy three or more [see ProDave] 2.0kW alternatives for the same price.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - !!!8476;
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    If you can afford to buy 3 radiators costing between 4.5k and 6k in total, couldn't you afford proper central heating?
    • Rosie's world
    • By Rosie's world 5th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosie's world
    I've got a couple of panel radiators in the bedrooms and a fan & oil filled radiator in the lounge. I took out the storage heater as it was big & ugly and kicks out heat at the wrong time.
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 5th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 6,380 Posts
    • 4,797 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    I've got a couple of panel radiators in the bedrooms and a fan & oil filled radiator in the lounge. I took out the storage heater as it was big & ugly and kicks out heat at the wrong time.
    A brick is a brick and a kW is a kW all electrical resistance heaters cost exactly the same to run, because 100% of the electrical power is converted into heat. Congratulations you chose to pay an everlasting and permanent 30% more for your space heating and I assume water heating.

The three brands you have mentioned are essentially very high priced eye-candy, not one iota more or less efficient than a 10 LidL convector.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - !!!8476;
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 5th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    (Wrote this while Richie posted his, but we are saying the same thing)

Unfortunately, as ugly as they can be, the storage heater was the cheapest way to heat the property.

In my view you have made a bit of an error without researching the facts.

You will be paying 30-50% more in actual kwh cost to use day rate electric and to (I assume) heat the water tank.

----

Wasting your money on "fancy german heaters" should not even be considered.

Your panel heaters are just as good. You just have to ensure they are well sized for the room and they have working thermostats to keep the temperature consistant.

-----

Quite often people struggle with storage heaters because they do not use the controls properly. This means they end up losing most of their heat before the day is finished.

----

An option to consider is re-installing more aesthetically appealing Storage heaters.

As I said, and will re-iterate again, they are the cheapest way to heat an all electric property along with the E7 tariff.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 05-03-2018 at 4:03 PM.
    • poppytody
    • By poppytody 7th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 4,443 Thanks
    poppytody
    I would have a look at Dimplex Quantum night store heaters. I have had them installed since December and I am very happy with them.

Once set the auto controls and thermostat work very well pumping out the heat when needed.

whilst no smaller that other modern night stores, they do look a lot better. If you had quite old night stores any modern night store is going to be better on the space/looks front.

The Quantums are not cheap though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

772Posts Today

7,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin