Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moran86
    • By Moran86 4th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Moran86
    Car problems
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    Car problems 4th Mar 18 at 4:36 PM
    Afternoon people, I bought a 2nd hand car from a Volvo dealership in October my Warranty ran out in January now the car has a problem struggling to start and sometimes wonít start. The car is financed where would I stand with giving the dealership the car back and cancelling the finance? Also I put a deposit down would I be able to recoup that aswell?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 4th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 2,503 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    Afternoon people, I bought a 2nd hand car from a Volvo dealership in October my Warranty ran out in January now the car has a problem struggling to start and sometimes wonít start. The car is financed where would I stand with giving the dealership the car back and cancelling the finance? Also I put a deposit down would I be able to recoup that aswell?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Moran86
    Sounds drastic for what might be a failing battery or a sticky starter. What about the washer fluid? If thatís run out you have a cast-iron case for a full refund.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 4th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    treboeth
    Why would the dealer take the car back?

Get the car checked out to find the fault and get it repaired.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 4th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 3,240 Posts
    • 4,287 Thanks
    waamo
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    What faults have been diagnosed with it? Are they serious or something the dealership can rectify easily? What have the dealership said about the fault?
    This space for hire.
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 4th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    You canít take the car back after this time and your warranty has ended. Volvos are notorious for the flux capacitors freezing.
    • Moran86
    • By Moran86 4th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Moran86
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    I just want to know what options are open to me lol I!!!8217;m waiting for the service department to ring me tomorrow if it!!!8217;s a major problem I!!!8217;m thinking they!!!8217;ve flogged me a dead horse. I!!!8217;ll see what the service people are saying the car was running yesterday it!!!8217;s not tarting with a battery jump pack on today it!!!8217;s just stuttering, starts then cuts out straight away. I!!!8217;m no expert with cars I!!!8217;ve tried researching but it!!!8217;s all complex jargon for me I don!!!8217;t understand any of it lol thanks for replies !!!9786;!!!65039;
    • waamo
    • By waamo 4th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 3,240 Posts
    • 4,287 Thanks
    waamo
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    I just want to know what options are open to me lol I!!!8217;m waiting for the service department to ring me tomorrow if it!!!8217;s a major problem I!!!8217;m thinking they!!!8217;ve flogged me a dead horse. I!!!8217;ll see what the service people are saying the car was running yesterday it!!!8217;s not tarting with a battery jump pack on today it!!!8217;s just stuttering, starts then cuts out straight away. I!!!8217;m no expert with cars I!!!8217;ve tried researching but it!!!8217;s all complex jargon for me I don!!!8217;t understand any of it lol thanks for replies !!!9786;!!!65039;
    Originally posted by Moran86
    I would report back once you know what has been diagnosed and what the dealerships response is. We are in the land of maybes at the moment.

Ps if you turn off smart punctuation on your Apple device then all the weird numbers and punctuation won't appear in your posts. It's a forum glitch with Apple devices.
    This space for hire.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 17,385 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    You have rights under the consumer rights act. They cover you for any fault that's not reasonable to expect from a used vehicle of that age, price and apparent condition.

After the first 30 days, there's no automatic right to a refund. Up to six months, the fault is presumed to have been present at purchase, unless it can be shown not to be. You've had the car since October - five months - and it's just started with this starting fault. You don't say how old it is, but with only a three month warranty, I'm guessing it's not exactly near-new. The retailer may or may not have a legal obligation to fix it - but they certainly get first call on diagnosis.

Given the weather we've had recently, it's entirely possible that it's something relatively trivial.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 26,954 Posts
    • 10,852 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    Dead horses dont get you around for 4 or 5 months.

Your horse is 100% alive. maybe you should stop flogging it?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin