Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NikkiWilliscroft
    • By NikkiWilliscroft 4th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NikkiWilliscroft
    Put on more expensive contract without knowing
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    Put on more expensive contract without knowing 4th Mar 18 at 4:32 PM
    Hi all,
    I am looking for advise, I have been on a 12 month SIM only contract with EE for the past 12 months, it ended on 01/02/18. It was 9.99 (with VAT 10.43) a month, I have been so busy with life I forgot to check when the contract ended and I have now had a bill for 18.43.

EE have increased my contract without letting me know from 9.99 a month to 15.36 (18.36 with VAT) a month. Now I know it was my own fault as I forgot to check when the contract ended but is there anything I can do, or am I now tied in for another 12 months?

Also as the contract ended on 01/02 EE took out 10.43 as a last payment, and now the bill is saying on or around the 04/03 they will take out 18.36 for the new contract, days apart from them alreadt having taken money out!

Not impressed! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • cjv
    • By cjv 4th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    cjv
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    If you did not agree to a new contract you will not be tied in for another 12 months.

Give them a ring, explain your concerns and ask for a bill credit if you feel you have been overcharged.

At the same time you can talk through your options for a new contract. Be sure to check what other deals are on offer from other networks though.

I done this with Virgin by telling them I want to cancel because I had found a better deal. They offered me a big discount, I now pay 5 a month (rolling 30 day contract) for a product which was advertised at 12 a month on their website.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    Your contract hasn't ended, you're just out of minimum term and now paying full price on a rolling monthly contract. And no, they're not obliged to tell you, that's your responsibility. Phone them and if you get no joy ask for the PAC.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 4th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    Did your initial agreement include a discount applied during the first 12 months? If so, the contract carries on, but the discount doesn't.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 4th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 8,329 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    Did your initial agreement include a discount applied during the first 12 months? If so, the contract carries on, but the discount doesn't.
    Originally posted by stragglebod
    This is most likely what has happened. If so, you'll be liable for the higher bills until you either, cancel the account, or negotiate a new account. Next time, make a note of dates. They could be more expensive.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 31,599 Posts
    • 19,939 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    Use a diary or the calender on your phone to note when things like this are due to end.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin