Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aldea2015
    • By Aldea2015 4th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Aldea2015
    Ill Health Retirement - 2 years off work
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    Ill Health Retirement - 2 years off work 4th Mar 18 at 3:55 PM
    I have been off work since March 2016 as I am physically unable to do my job.

Every 6 months or so my employer wanted to meet to see how I was. At the last meeting he requested that I consider ill-health retirement from my job.

I had been with the company for 11 years before taking sick leave - and had a company pension from the required time in 2012.

What are my options? How would ill health retirement look and how would it affect me in later life.

I am 36 but am hoping I recover enough to be able to do some sort of work at some point in the future (I have to remain optimistic!).

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • Indebted2U
    • By Indebted2U 4th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    Indebted2U
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    Hi Aldea

Ill health retirement varies greatly and will depend on what your pension scheme rules say. What is the name of your pension scheme?
    • Aldea2015
    • By Aldea2015 4th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Aldea2015
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    Hi Aldea

Ill health retirement varies greatly and will depend on what your pension scheme rules say. What is the name of your pension scheme?
    Originally posted by Indebted2U
    It's a WorkSave pension plan from Legal and General - currently worth just over 600
    • Indebted2U
    • By Indebted2U 4th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    Indebted2U
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    It's a WorkSave pension plan from Legal and General - currently worth just over 600
    Originally posted by Aldea2015
    I had a quick look at your plan's rules online and couldn't find any mention of ill health retirement? Your employer may have separate arrangements or procedures, without knowing who they are or what their procedures are it's difficult to give any advice? I'd suggest you ask your employer about ill health retirement, they should have written rules about it that you can access and when you know more, post back on here or private message me and I'll try to help if I can. I'm no expert but have been through the process personally so can give you an idea of what happens etc.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    Forgive me for being blunt - but you are still employed after being off sick for two years? I used to work in the NHS and I think we would have dismissed you after a year (when your contractual sick pay would have expired). You cannot do the job you are employed to do.

In my (NHS) experience you could only get an ill health retirement if you were completely incapable of working. (Quite a high barrier!).

If your employer wants to offer some sort of ill health retirement (600?) I'd want to consider it. But I'd want advice too. Are you in a union?
    • dsab
    • By dsab 8th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    dsab
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    Forgive me for being blunt - but you are still employed after being off sick for two years? I used to work in the NHS and I think we would have dismissed you after a year (when your contractual sick pay would have expired). You cannot do the job you are employed to do.

In my (NHS) experience you could only get an ill health retirement if you were completely incapable of working. (Quite a high barrier!).
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    Not that uncommon, really. The company I work for has a special Insurance scheme, and keeps you on in Case of long term sickness until retirement, with a 75% Salary payout. We have a few employees on the books that haven't been actively working with us for 10 or more years.
    • Aldea2015
    • By Aldea2015 8th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Aldea2015
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:53 PM

If your employer wants to offer some sort of ill health retirement (600?) I'd want to consider it. But I'd want advice too. Are you in a union?
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    I think it is in part to avoid having to pay anything to get rid of me - if I can also be blunt. Obviously I'm not on payroll. My contractual sick pay lasted 3 months..so I'm a very cheap employee.

I'm unable to do my job with my current health issues. But I'm only 36 years old. I don't know how or where I will be in 10, 20 years. To be fair neither do they. They can only really make a decision based on my current situation.

No, I'm not in a union. I worked in retail, which isn't really a big union area. So I'm alone. I'm not expecting a pay out, just wanting to know how ill health retirement affects my pension and the possibility of work at a later date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,019Posts Today

7,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin