Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • born_sandy
    • By born_sandy 4th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 5Thanks
    born_sandy
    UKPC Ltd
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    UKPC Ltd 4th Mar 18 at 2:54 PM
    Are there any grounds for appeal here?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by born_sandy; 20-03-2018 at 9:04 PM. Reason: Upon advice of regular contributors / posters.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 4th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 36,644 Posts
    • 83,001 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    Lots of grounds to appeal.

Start by editing your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, or Occupants.

Once you have done that, please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES, then send the template appeal you will find there around day 26. Include a copy of the blue badge from An Occupant of the car and a add a line to the effect that An Occupant was disabled and has protected characteristics as defined by the Equality Act 2010, so they must therefore cancel this unwarranted charge.

Do not under any circumstances say who was driving.

What happened when you complained to the store manger about this disgraceful scam?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 4th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 36,644 Posts
    • 83,001 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    I forgot to mention that of course the blue badge scheme does not apply on private land. Whilst it is a useful indicator that an occupant of the car has a disability, it is not the only indicator.
    That's where the EA 2010 comes in to protect people with disabilities but who don't have a BB.
    I don't have a sister.

• The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 8,980 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    UKPC are known fraudsters, read this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 57,560 Posts
    • 71,120 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    Are there any grounds for appeal here?
    Always, and NO grounds to pay it.

Complain to Matalan by going in with her and the Blue Badge.

Also appeal with a copy of the Blue Badge but WITHOUT saying who was driving, and ON DAY 26.

NOT sooner, NOT for the appeal. See the NEWBIES thread as to why to wait till day 26.

But do complain immediately as your Plan A, and don't let the oldies try it themselves as they will be too polite and deferential. Be with them and quote the Equality Act ans that to charge a disabled person to use a provision, is illegal, as soon as they 'knew or should have known' about the disability (i.e. at the point of complaint, they should cancel).
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 20-03-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• born_sandy
    • By born_sandy 20th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    born_sandy
    • 20th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 20th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    Thanks for the advice, good people!

Sent a letter of appeal with all relevant details. Reply vaguely states that part of the letter was missing and asks us to re-submit.

Hmmmm ... I smell a cunning plan on their behalf. Is this a ruse? What's our next step?

They also include in the letter an invitation to pay the charge - which seems to contravene Item 22.9 of the BPA AOS Code of Conduct!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 20th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 7,240 Posts
    • 6,769 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 20th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 20th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    Born_sandy, did you read any of the replies others posted weeks ago?
    • born_sandy
    • By born_sandy 20th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    born_sandy
    • 20th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 20th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    Yes, and I took and acted upon the useful advice therein.

This evening's post refers to - and seeks advice regarding - subsequent developments.

Why do you ask?
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 20th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 36,644 Posts
    • 83,001 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 20th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 20th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    You said you sent an appeal with all relevant details, but haven't said whether that was the template appeal plus a single point about an occupant being covered by the EA 2010, and that you sent it around day 26.

You haven't said what the retail manager said when you complained either.

You haven't said what their reply was, just that something was missing and that they asked for more information.

We are not mind readers, so we don't know for certain what you sent, and have no idea what the scammers reply was.

You see our dilemma.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 20-03-2018 at 9:14 PM.
    I don't have a sister.

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 20th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 57,560 Posts
    • 71,120 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Because you don't mention what happened when you complained to Matalan, as we said:

But do complain immediately as your Plan A, and don't let the oldies try it themselves as they will be too polite and deferential. Be with them and quote the Equality Act ans that to charge a disabled person to use a provision, is illegal, as soon as they 'knew or should have known' about the disability (i.e. at the point of complaint, they should cancel).
    And you say you 'sent a letter'? You mean appealed online as keeper? Not a 'letter'.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• KeithP
    • By KeithP 20th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 7,240 Posts
    • 6,769 Thanks
    KeithP
    Why do you ask?
    Originally posted by born_sandy
    Because:
    1) you only edited your opening post, as suggested in post #2, after I mentioned in post #7 that you had appeared to have ignored that suggestion. That's two weeks after the suggestion was made.
    Now that you have effectively deleted your opening post it is much more difficult for others to comment on it.

2) you have said nothing about having approached Matalan, as suggested in post #5.
    Last edited by KeithP; 20-03-2018 at 9:13 PM.
    • born_sandy
    • By born_sandy 20th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    born_sandy
    OK, sure. The advice I seemed to be getting after my first post that is was best not to give full details on here, hence, you know ... a little deliberate vagueness!

I honestly thought the section in the "scammers'"reply about "a page missing" from the appeal might have rung a bell with those of you who have more experience on this than me. I genuinely think this is some sort of ruse / tactic from them to get my mum to cough up. All the required details were in the original letter sent to them & there certainly wasn't a page missing!

The last thing I want to do is waste anyone's time or !!!! anyone off & I am genuinely grateful for the advice given.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 20th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 57,560 Posts
    • 71,120 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You aren't wasting time, but:

- why POST a letter when the NEWBIES thread tells you not to? Appeal online as keeper, using the template, and attaching a copy of the BB without saying who was driving, was all that was needed.

- what happened when YOU (not the oldies) complained to the retail manager, citing the Equality Act?

• born_sandy
    • By born_sandy 20th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    born_sandy
    Have sent copy of letter of appeal to local Matalan and to Customer Services at Head Office - awaiting reply.

Didn't edit original post until now as have only just figured out how to do so - cut me some slack, please!

Rather than submit an online appeal, we sent a letter of appeal to "scammers" - as I believe is our right.

Letter was based upon template provided elsewhere on this board and referenced BPA CoP as well as relevant legislation.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 20th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 7,240 Posts
    • 6,769 Thanks
    KeithP
    Have sent copy of letter of appeal to local Matalan and to Customer Services at Head Office - awaiting reply.
    Originally posted by born_sandy
    But the suggestion was:
    Complain to Matalan by going in with her and the Blue Badge.

Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 20th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 57,560 Posts
    • 71,120 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Rather than submit an online appeal, we sent a letter of appeal to "scammers" - as I believe is our right.
    Never a good plan. They could have pretended it never arrived. NEWBIES thread says NOT to post.

Online is recommended, so do that now as registered keeper, using the template. Take a screenshot.

• born_sandy
    • By born_sandy 20th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    born_sandy
    I DID go in. The Store / General Manager was off shift & the Duty Manager wasn't able to deal with it. The store in question is the other side of town, therefore decided to send letter. As there has been no reply I will take your advice and go in again.
    • born_sandy
    • By born_sandy 20th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    born_sandy
    [QUOTE=Coupon-mad;74052116]Never a good plan. They could have pretended it never arrived. NEWBIES thread says NOT to post.

Sent Special / Signed for Delivery. It did arrive.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 20th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    you have managed to dodge this potential issue this time

this 'cowboy industry' (Hansard) will normally prove you did not send by refusing to sign yes they refuse to sign and prove you did not send ... perverse I know ....

have a look at the MP debate below and read the MP's comments

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph-y; 20-03-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    • born_sandy
    • By born_sandy 20th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    born_sandy
    Thanks Ralph. The point I made in Post 6 about the supposed "missing page" ties in, I think, with what you say about refusal to sign Special Delivery letters - ruses & scams!

Thanks for the MP advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin