Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • waterhouse_melons
    • By waterhouse_melons 4th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 815Posts
    • 9,266Thanks
    waterhouse_melons
    New to Credit Cards
    • 4th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    New to Credit Cards 4th Mar 18 at 1:40 PM
    Hi All, been a while since I was on here.
    I'm looking at getting my first credit card as I have a 1500 lawyers bill to pay. Now the opportunity I see is this... I can afford to get savings together to fund this, or I can get my first credit card to help build score.
    I'm mid twenties and think in the next few years I'll have a mortgage. Is now a good time to get a CC and pay it off? I have the funds to pay 1500 off within 6 months easily. I've been looking at Post Office + Sainsburys 0% 30 month cards. Would I get charged for paying it off so soon?
    Any advice, much appresh.
    Best Freebies/Wins/Testers so far: HP Officejet Pro 8500, Vax Zen, Thorpe Park Tks, 2x Rockwell Tkts, Windows 7, 2x Chelsea vs Arsenal Tkts, Genio Phone, JLS Tickets, 2 PSP games, 2 Xbox 360 games, iPod Touch, Blackberry Torch, Westlife Tkts, Tinie Tempah tkts, New York Trip AND MORE...
    Thanks to all posters on here
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 4th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 7,680 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 4th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    Will the lawyer accept payment by credit card?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • waterhouse_melons
    • By waterhouse_melons 4th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 9,266 Thanks
    waterhouse_melons
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    Will the lawyer accept payment by credit card?
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Good question. Didn't even think of this. I thought it was default everywhere accepts them like debit card or cash?
    Best Freebies/Wins/Testers so far: HP Officejet Pro 8500, Vax Zen, Thorpe Park Tks, 2x Rockwell Tkts, Windows 7, 2x Chelsea vs Arsenal Tkts, Genio Phone, JLS Tickets, 2 PSP games, 2 Xbox 360 games, iPod Touch, Blackberry Torch, Westlife Tkts, Tinie Tempah tkts, New York Trip AND MORE...
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 4th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    I've been looking at Post Office + Sainsburys 0% 30 month cards.
    Originally posted by waterhouse_melons
    It's unlikely that you'd be able to get your hands on cards like this if you haven't had a credit card before, as they're more likely to be provided to those with a good history of managing credit.

Probably worth starting off by checking what your credit files look like at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report

then checking out what you'd be likely to qualify for at
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/

which may potentially involve starter cards like those at
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/bad-credit-credit-cards
    • waterhouse_melons
    • By waterhouse_melons 4th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 9,266 Thanks
    waterhouse_melons
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    Managed to get the Sainsburys 31 month 0%. Here goes nothing
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 4th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    Managed to get the Sainsburys 31 month 0%. Here goes nothing
    Originally posted by waterhouse_melons
    Is that on purchases? Or balance transfer...

Ideally you need a 0% on purchases deal to pay the lawyer's bill, again assuming they take CC.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin