Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 4th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 300Posts
    • 21Thanks
    samsung laptop
    Does community speed watch scheme work
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    Does community speed watch scheme work 4th Mar 18 at 10:47 AM
    I've just read that a town I drive through daily is starting a community speed watch scheme but do they work. They say the watch is run by members of the community with the support of the police neighbourhood policing team. Recruited volunteers receive full training in using a speed monitoring device and is given a training pack with details of roads that have been risk assessed and a high viz jacket.There is no time limit, volunteers can stay on site as long as they like and leave when they see fit. When speeds have been recorded, all the results are sent back to the officers in charge and warning letters are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle if there is a second occurrence of speeding.
Page 4
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    What does that photo have to do with anything?

This is the bus lane I'm on about:

That was about a year ago. It's really time you learned to let things go.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    And another accident last week.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 17,368 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    AdrianC
    What does that photo have to do with anything?

Riiight. Y'see the second bus lane sign, the one peeking out from behind the clearly visible one in this pic?

Yep, that's the one with the times on.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 6th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    Riiight. Y'see the second bus lane sign, the one peeking out from behind the clearly visible one in this pic?

Yep, that's the one with the times on.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    That's for the next bus lane - the one after the junction for Gate Street.

A bus lane sign with no controlled hours is operational 24hrs, so that sign denotes that that section of bus lane is active 24hrs.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    That's for the next bus lane - the one after the junction for Gate Street.

A bus lane sign with no controlled hours is operational 24hrs, so that sign denotes that that section of bus lane is active 24hrs.
    So what confused you?
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 6th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    It's quite bizarre how someone driving on unfamiliar roads is supposed to be able to gather all this information from half hidden signs that are after the start of the bus lane, while dealing with London traffic. My default action on seeing a bus lane would be to follow the merge signs.

His point still stands - he was following reasonable road markings, wanting to change lanes and as the motorcyclist was held up he went demented. It is exactly the behaviour I get when cycling, where motorists get all over excited because their journey has been hindered - especially because often I can overtake them a hundred yards down the road - or more likely just sit glaring in their rear view mirror to make the point because who wants to get back in front of an unhinged motorist.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 6th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    So what confused you?
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Nothing confused me! I saw the sign and acted accordingly. The sign told me I was not allowed to enter the bus lane so I didn't. I indicated and waited to join the right-hand lane.

It was the motorcyclist who decided this was the worst thing that could possibly have happened in his life and thought the perfect way to show this was to swear at me and bang on my window.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 7th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    Not all information has to come from a sign. That lane contains a bus, a cyclist and a black cab. And a parked van and motorbike. No private cars in it *suggests* that it's active, and you shouldn't enter until you know better.

I was simply using all available road.
    Yes, that's good, but you also need an exit strategy, you don't just drive to 'the end of the road' then look for a gap to get out.

Nothing confused me! I saw the sign and acted accordingly. The sign told me I was not allowed to enter the bus lane so I didn't. I indicated and waited to join the right-hand lane.

It was the motorcyclist who decided this was the worst thing that could possibly have happened in his life and thought the perfect way to show this was to swear at me and bang on my window.
    I agree, moderately, with the motorcyclist. Don't wait until you can read the times on the sign to decide whether to enter a bus lane or not. ASSUME you can't, and get out of there. You inconvenienced another road user due to your lack of planning, he may have over reacted, but you were at fault.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 7th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    Not all information has to come from a sign.
    Originally posted by almillar
    But information from a sign should be obeyed, and that one told me I was not permitted to enter the bus lane. So I didn't.

I agree, moderately, with the motorcyclist. Don't wait until you can read the times on the sign to decide whether to enter a bus lane or not. ASSUME you can't, and get out of there. You inconvenienced another road user due to your lack of planning, he may have over reacted, but you were at fault.
    You're incorrect - I was not at fault at all.

Prior to the junction, a sign says lane 1 is going to become a bus lane, but it's only operation during certain hours, so my plan was to continue in lane 1/the bus lane.

However, immediately prior to the start of the bus lane was another sign stating the bus lane was, in fact, 24hrs. So I had to alter my plan due to the confusing signage.

One should always drive in a manner where you are fully prepared for other road users to do the unexpected. Especially so in London where the lanes and signage can be very confusing.

I suspect the motorcyclist was so angry because he came very close to crashing into the back of my car. Rather than being angry at himself for not driving defensively and not keeping a safe distance from the car in front, it was easier to be angry at me.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 7th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    And it's nice to see Warwick Hunt's attempt at a personal attack has been deleted by the mods. There's far too much bullying on these forums - more so that any other I use - so good to see the mods are taking some action.
    Last edited by Deastons; 07-03-2018 at 5:50 PM.
    • tho
    • By tho 7th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    tho
    Bullying? Bit like when you automatically assumed (and accused) that someone with interest in a community speed watch scheme was just wanting to get home quicker.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 8th Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    Bullying? Bit like when you automatically assumed (and accused) that someone with interest in a community speed watch scheme was just wanting to get home quicker.
    Originally posted by tho
    In the same sentence I also accused them of wanting to start their own community speed watch. That wasn't bullying, that was just trying to clarify what they meant.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 8th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    But information from a sign should be obeyed, and that one told me I was not permitted to enter the bus lane. So I didn't.
    You mis-understand my point. The sign was too far away for you to read. You could see a bus lane, but didn't know the hours. You should have started to plan to move out. You should not drive up to the sign, read it, THEN try to pull out. That caused YOU to inconvenience other road users. You were wrong. Would you have stopped to read the sign if necessary? Reverse if you missed it?

You're incorrect - I was not at fault at all.
    Prior to the junction, a sign says lane 1 is going to become a bus lane, but it's only operation during certain hours, so my plan was to continue in lane 1/the bus lane.
    Good, you had a plan. But it was the wrong plan. You're plan SHOULD have been to pull out, then once you establish the hours, you can pull back in. You're trying to be too clever, and your driving can't keep up with your brain. You did inconvenience others around you, which I hope you agree drivers shouldn't do.

So I had to alter my plan due to the confusing signage.
    I understand. Think of it like this. You saw a 'bus lane' sign, as well as the markings on the road. Consider these 'primary signage'. ACT on them. The hours, which are smaller, harder to read, and closer to the 'hazard' is a 'secondary sign'. Don't drive up to these signs before acting - it's too late. You know the road for next time, you know not to use that bus lane, and hopefully, now, you will approach unknown bus lanes in a better way, and cause less trouble for yourself and other road users.
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 8th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    Back to the subject of the people with too much time on their hands and speed guns....I don't know a single person who takes them seriously. I know people who deliberately speed up whilst flipping them off and laughing and then chuck the stupid threatening letters in the bin, I have friends who just choose to mouth off as they drive past while still speeding....personally I carry on at whatever speed I was doing and have a little rant about how if they have that much time on their hands, maybe they'd like to actually help the community by volunteering for a charity of some sort. Waving a speed camera around in their shaky old hands is unlikely to result in an accurate read out which is why they can't do anything but send pointless letters as their 'proof' is totally unenforceable.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 8th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Back to the subject of the people with too much time on their hands and speed guns....I don't know a single person who takes them seriously. I know people who deliberately speed up whilst flipping them off and laughing and then chuck the stupid threatening letters in the bin, I have friends who just choose to mouth off as they drive past while still speeding....personally I carry on at whatever speed I was doing and have a little rant about how if they have that much time on their hands, maybe they'd like to actually help the community by volunteering for a charity of some sort. Waving a speed camera around in their shaky old hands is unlikely to result in an accurate read out which is why they can't do anything but send pointless letters as their 'proof' is totally unenforceable.
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30
    That's not how they work though. If matey persists in deliberately abusing them, one day he'll find it is Plod and his hands ill not be so shakey.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 8th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    You could see a bus lane
    No I couldn't. There was a bus directly in front of me obscuring the sign and the bus lane until I was a matter of feet away from it.

You're plan SHOULD have been to pull out, then once you establish the hours, you can pull back in.
    Incorrect.

It's not worth arguing, but everything you say is wrong. The way I used the road was completely correct. The signage was incorrect and the motorcyclist's reaction was unnecessary.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 8th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    George Michael
    No I couldn't. There was a bus directly in front of me obscuring the sign and the bus lane until I was a matter of feet away from it.
    How close to the bus were you?
    • tho
    • By tho 8th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    tho
    Incorrect.

It's not worth arguing, but everything you say is wrong. The way I used the road was completely correct. The signage was incorrect and the motorcyclist's reaction was unnecessary.
    You're right. It's not worth arguing because this post is quite clearly that you refuse to consider any other point or the possibility you may be in the wrong.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 9th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    It's not worth arguing, but everything you say is wrong
    If you were trying to end the discussion, that's a terrible way to do it!

I accept that it's hard to see around a bus. I hope that you'll drive differently next time on that road, considering you now know about the bus lane.

The signage was incorrect
    What signage was incorrect?

You stopped the MC's progress, possibly suddenly. You shouldn't do that and you can expect *A* reaction, but we'll not argue about appropriate ones. I'm trying to help you avoid these incidents in the future.

And on the bus - if you were in an unfamiliar environment, perhaps you should back off so that you can see better - I'm not accusing you of tailgating or anything, but if you drove further back, you would see everything around you more easily.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Back to the subject of the people with too much time on their hands and speed guns....I don't know a single person who takes them seriously. I know people who deliberately speed up whilst flipping them off and laughing and then chuck the stupid threatening letters in the bin, I have friends who just choose to mouth off as they drive past while still speeding....personally I carry on at whatever speed I was doing and have a little rant about how if they have that much time on their hands, maybe they'd like to actually help the community by volunteering for a charity of some sort. Waving a speed camera around in their shaky old hands is unlikely to result in an accurate read out [which is why they can't do anything but send pointless letters as their 'proof' is totally unenforceable.
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30
    Itís evident you post in ignorance. However if you ever get done by one if and when they can give out tickets do let us know when the not guilty court case comes up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,537Posts Today

9,156Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin