Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • triathlon
    • By triathlon 4th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 204Posts
    • 96Thanks
    triathlon
    0 WOW
    Airbnb
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    0 WOW
    Airbnb 4th Mar 18 at 9:39 AM
    Thoughts or experiences?

I am going to do a little travelling around Europe late this year off the beaten track. Heading for Sweden and then down to Germany and across east to Greece and hoping to finish off in Portugal.
    I am not the biggest fan of Hotels as I find them too sterile in many cases and expensive, so getting cheap and interesting places to stay and meeting interesting people appeals to me with this website.

I am sure there has been a few horror stories, which to me gets boxed as the odd fun mishap in later life, but on the whole it looks quite cool.
Page 1
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 4th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 10,390 Posts
    • 13,085 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    I've used Airbnb a few times and it has been fine.

My only real concern was that I made sure I had a power bank for my phone to ensure that I had data access to rebook if things went pear shaped.
    The man without a signature.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 4th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 8,151 Posts
    • 5,901 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    Only done it once in Amsterdam, but it was lovely -- more space and yet "cosier" than a hotel... slightly cheaper too.

I've heard a few horror stories, but I think they've all been from people who rent their property and have it trashed by guests.
    • N1ckS
    • By N1ckS 4th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    N1ckS
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    As an Airbnb host and traveller my big tip would be to choose your location and dates first rather than focussing on specific properties. Once you have a shortlist of suitable properties send them all a message at the same time enquiring about availability.

There are two benefits to this. The first is that you can say you are considering a number of properties and request whether they might be able to offer a discount on the booking (although generally this sort of request is better received when you have trips under your belt and good reviews from hosts). Secondly, and more importantly from my experience, the best hosts/properties are the ones that reply immediately/within an hour. It's no point booking a great property to find that you can't gain access and the host can't be contacted!

For peace of mind you might initially only consider booking properties operated by 'Superhosts'.
    • triathlon
    • By triathlon 4th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    triathlon
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    As an Airbnb host and traveller my big tip would be to choose your location and dates first rather than focussing on specific properties. Once you have a shortlist of suitable properties send them all a message at the same time enquiring about availability.

There are two benefits to this. The first is that you can say you are considering a number of properties and request whether they might be able to offer a discount on the booking (although generally this sort of request is better received when you have trips under your belt and good reviews from hosts). Secondly, and more importantly from my experience, the best hosts/properties are the ones that reply immediately/within an hour. It's no point booking a great property to find that you can't gain access and the host can't be contacted!

For peace of mind you might initially only consider booking properties operated by 'Superhosts'.
    Originally posted by N1ckS
    Great stuff

Thanks for that
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 8,493 Posts
    • 8,801 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    Sweden, Germany, Greece and Portugal are not part of the UK.

Maybe the OP should stick to their established thread in the correct forum...?
    • triathlon
    • By triathlon 4th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    triathlon
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    Sweden, Germany, Greece and Portugal are not part of the UK.

Maybe the OP should stick to their established thread in the correct forum...?
    Originally posted by pogofish

Airbnb are also in the the UK and I will be using them in the UK as have so many other people.
    I just want to know what they are like, UK are EU, I was glad to hear about them only in the last few weeks, and I am sure someone might also be happy to learn about them on here as well.

What's it to you anyway, I swear some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining, is it effecting your life in anyway me asking a question on here.
    • gazapc
    • By gazapc 4th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    gazapc
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    Used airbnb dozens of times in the UK, Ireland, Croatia and Italy. Generally been very good, excellent locations and much better than a hotel. Certainly haven't had a bad experience yet.

Just to note, we found on the continent many airbnb locations are just holiday apartments. So if you want to stay with your hoat then you will need to filter these out.

The key bit is to pick hosts with decent reviews, and as the above person says, respond quickly to requests.

I've never tried haggling so may have to do that next time.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 8,493 Posts
    • 8,801 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    What's it to you anyway, I swear some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining, is it effecting your life in anyway me asking a question on here.
    Originally posted by triathlon
    You are the one who agreed not to spam multiple similar threads across different forums - Yet it looks very like that' exactly what you are doing.

Now you might want to adress the matter of why you didn't ask about UK destinations, which kind of ruins your question, no?
    • michaels
    • By michaels 4th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 20,695 Posts
    • 95,788 Thanks
    michaels
    Is it possible to filter for ensuite on airbnb? I am not quite ready to share a bathroom yet?
    Cool heads and compromise
    • triathlon
    • By triathlon 4th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    triathlon
    You are the one who agreed not to spam multiple similar threads across different forums - Yet it looks very like that' exactly what you are doing.

Now you might want to adress the matter of why you didn't ask about UK destinations, which kind of ruins your question, no?
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Oh go away
    What is it with you people intent on an argument. You made it perfectly clear you are not interested in this thread so why go out of your way to post on it.

I am trying to find out about something that could be of use to me and save me money, and it seems like others are interested as well.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 31,636 Posts
    • 19,961 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Airbnb are also in the the UK and I will be using them in the UK as have so many other people.
    I just want to know what they are like, UK are EU, I was glad to hear about them only in the last few weeks, and I am sure someone might also be happy to learn about them on here as well.

Originally posted by triathlon
    You should have just posted it once and let the board guides move it if needed, your other thread was moved, didn't need to start a second today.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • triathlon
    • By triathlon 5th Mar 18, 5:36 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    triathlon
    You should have just posted it once and let the board guides move it if needed, your other thread was moved, didn't need to start a second today.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    ?????

For Goodness sake, have some people got nothing better to do
    • susancs
    • By susancs 10th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 3,703 Thanks
    susancs
    I have not used airbnb, but my student daughter and her friends have done numerous times in the Uk and other countries and have never had a bad experience. She is like you in that she does not like the the less friendly and homely atmosphere of hotels and added bonus is that airbnb is usually cheaper.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 10th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 2,921 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    Heard many positive reports of using Airbnb .... only know of one bad one - some friends who travelled to New York for a special family gathering (8 of them), and on landing in NY found a message sent whilst they were in the air telling them the the large apartment they had booked and paid for was "no longer available" because of a serious water leak.

Being suspicious they visited the apartment whilst they were there and found a group of Californian visitors staying in it, who had apparently paid a lot more than them as a "last minute" deal through a different rental site.

They ended up paying a staggering amount for replacement hotel accommodation and as far as I know there are still ongoing arguments between insurance and airbnb about who should refund.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 10-03-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,632Posts Today

7,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin