Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 3rd Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 12Thanks
    MissF87
    1st post and 1st step to clearing £19k in 18 month
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    1st post and 1st step to clearing £19k in 18 month 3rd Mar 18 at 9:53 PM
    Hello everyone,

New here, looking for support and advice I suppose. I havenít spoken to anyone about the severity of my situation and I donít think I want to, but this is the first step in opening up and pushing me to do what I need to do.
    Iím a repeat offender with debts and every time I promise myself I wonít do it again, then I do. So annoyed with myself, but Iím in a really good place in terms of my income at the moment, I never dreamed Iíd be paid what I am with the benefits I get as well so not all bad. Understandable got in debt at uni, paid it off within a year of graduating. Saved up and bought my first house when I was 23 with my then boyfriend (to later become husband, now ex husband) and we got into small debt then. He was a spoiled brat and didnít understand what no meant. He wanted to best of everything on a lemonade budget. He also had a serious coke problem which over the years accumulated to over £10k in debts. We got divorced in 2015 (less than 2 years married). Despite the fact that I paid more for the deposit for our house and I consistently was paid more than him therefore contributed a lot more over the years I still agreed to go halves on the debts with him so I didnít come out with much in then end. Started fresh with a few hiccups on the way but my finances were in control. I bought my first house alone in February last year - my parents lent me a 15% deposit which Iím slowly paying back. I took out numerous things on finance etc when I moved in, including all my furniture on 12 months interest free which has crippled me for the first year! Thatís now paid so Iím trying to focus on everything else and get things sorted. Iím so annoyed with myself that Iím in this position again, I donít know why I donít just learn my lesson. Iíve made silly selfish and vein decisions in the past and I need to reach a turning point. Sacrifice stupid things like paying over the odds at the hairdressers because Iím too nice to say no to things I donít need, no more acrylic nails every few weeks etc. I have so many clothes and shoes, I donít need any more. We have a holiday booked in June which is paid for, just need about £500 for spending money and airport parking etc. With the exception of the money I owe my parents I have about £18,900 to pay on cards, finance, loan etc. Ridiculous, I know. Several are little ones less than £1000 for things like electricals for the house, home furnishings etc. I just got carried away. Moron. My mortgage term is 17 years, so 16 left, thatís a whole other story but I was told I could extend that term at any time. I currently live alone as my partner lives over 100 miles away but he is very actively looking for a job up here so he can move in. Hopefully by June at the latest. From then Iíve worked out I can pay between £1,200-£1,300 a month off my debts. My student loan will also be paid off by the end of this year so that frees up approximately £100 a month. This means I can be debt free in about 15/16 months which sounds sensible and doable, but I need support and encouragement to start living within my means and remembering that the short term sacrifice will be for a long term gain. The card which has the most in is interest free for another 30 months so Iím guessing itís best I pay that last and Work my way down from the highest rate of interest or work out where Iím paying the highest £ a month in interest and pay that first?
    This is where I am currently:
    Loan 1: £7,000 / £180 a month
    Loan 2: £2000 / £70 a month
    Loan 3: £810 / £33 a month
    Loan 4: £880 / £23 a month
    Card 1: £1900 / £25 a month
    Card 2: £5000 / £60 a month
    Next Directory: £1,300 / £75 a month

Iíve been paying the minimum payments on my cards by DD then extra if I could later in the month, from next month those payments will increase.

Iím really keen to learn about coupons if anyone has any tips for savings on grocery shopping. In the past Iíve had my shopping delivered, i always thought it was cheaper because I can keep a check on what Iím spending and donít get tempted. I make my lunch for work every day and I often work from home 1 or 2 days a week. I follow a pretty clean diet and plan all my meals so I know I could make my food shops much more cost effective that way too. Currently budget £160-250 a month (depending on other bills) and I donít want that to increase with my boyfriend moves in really as water, gas (Iím on calor gas to which has pros and cons!), electric and council tax are all going to increase when heís moves up. Council tax will go up about £30, electric probably £10-15 a month, currently with gas if I average it out itís about a canister a month which is £57 so probably a canister and a half a month when he moves in.

So thatís everything in a nutshell. Iím currently signed off from work following an operation last week until next Friday so next week Iím going to be making calls and planning out my new budget.
Page 1
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 3rd Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    Hi MissF - welcome to the forum.

It looks like you have a basic idea of how you see things panning out over the next few months. You also look ready to tackle your debt head on.

To create a budget and and see where every penny goes you should complete a SOA.

If you post it here, you can get tailored suggestions for savings you can make to throw at your debts.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 4th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    My advice, and I've lived through a similar debt, is to go straight to one of the agencies, National Debtline, StepChange or there are others, you can just google. I used StepChange and it really changed my life. I was in a terrible state when I phoned them and broke down twice on the phone but they did help me so much. Just speaking to someone and not being criticised or made to feel I was stupid was a big relief. They can, and do, help. They are non-judgmental. You do need to get cracking on sorting your debts straightaway. In my experience, not doing so just increases your debt. Not wishing to be rude but instead of working things out and posting here, I would go straight to the people who really can help, one hundred percent. They can help you reduce your outgoings and advise you how to stay within budget. And with them sometimes acting on your behalf, creditors are more compliant. Please do call them. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.
    • Elliesmum
    • By Elliesmum 4th Mar 18, 12:58 AM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    Elliesmum
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:58 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:58 AM
    Hi MissF87

That's a long 'ol post you've got there and I didn't want to read and run without saying well done for facing the situation.

Tips for reducing food bills can be found on the old style board. Tips for making extra money can be found on the boost your income board. I appreciate that you have a good wage, but every little helps.

Sell all that you can on eBay, don't think how much 'it's worth', think more, what can I get for it???

Not sure of your clothes situation, however, there are some amazing blogs on the internet on how to reduce your wardrobe. Kon Marie method (again on the old style board) - helps you de-clutter. It's nearly car-boot season so that could be a good way to make some money, especially if you 'price to sell', or eBay/gum tree/pre-loved.

How many pairs of shoes do you have. At my highest I had about 65 pairs, I think I've got that down to approx 30, which is still 25 too many according to my partner

Mortgage free wannabe and debt free wannabe boards have some great challenges, together with old style. Such as no spend days, grocery challenges and make do and mend.

I'm not in debt, but I am overpaying my mortgage and trying to save to go travelling, so have done all the above methods to earn some money. I've just started mystery shopping, again it depends upon your working circumstances, however, I've done quite well over the last three months and completed some quite fun assignments.

Keep going - can you get your partner to join in with the saving money. My partner and I are working towards a 'free Christmas' where we are completing surveys and getting vouchers for spending at Christmas. So far we have amassed £40 in two months.

HTH

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 4th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MissF87
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    Thanks for the the replies!!

I have too many pairs of shoes for sure, probably close to 100. I have a lot that I could sort and sell clothes and shoes wise I suspect, probably wouldnít get a huge amount but every little helps. Plus I need to make room for my boyfriend as currently there is none

In terms of the SOA I do have a budget spreadsheet but need to amend it next week to fit the new plan.

I have thought of reaching out to an agency, this was my first step towards admitting whatís Iíve done and recognising that I need to do something about it. Iíve read some of the other threads and there seems to be a lot of support and encouragement which is what I think works best for me.

Lots to crack on with tomorrow.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 14,342 Posts
    • 13,536 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    Thanks for the the replies!!

I have too many pairs of shoes for sure, probably close to 100. I have a lot that I could sort and sell clothes and shoes wise I suspect, probably wouldnít get a huge amount but every little helps. Plus I need to make room for my boyfriend as currently there is none

In terms of the SOA I do have a budget spreadsheet but need to amend it next week to fit the new plan.

I have thought of reaching out to an agency, this was my first step towards admitting whatís Iíve done and recognising that I need to do something about it. Iíve read some of the other threads and there seems to be a lot of support and encouragement which is what I think works best for me.

Lots to crack on with tomorrow.
    Originally posted by MissF87
    If you do choose to take advice, make sure its from a reputable company, such as those in my signature, there are a lot of debt advice companies out there, all with similar sounding names, not all offer free, impartial advice.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 4th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    Karonher
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    If you do go to an agency and negotiate payment terms, remember that it will show on your files for 6 years.

If you go just for information that will be fine. At the moment it looks like you can do this without trashing your rating.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2018

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2018.
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 4th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MissF87
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    Thanks Karonher and sourcrates. I had thought the same in terms of just getting advice as I can do it without having to make any arrangements. I just need to stop being an idiot.

Elliesmum - the survey stuff and mystery shopping sounds good as I work in externa sales so I am actually quite flexible so that could work for me so I will definitely take a look into that.

Thanks everyone !!!55357;!!!56842;
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 5th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    anna_1977
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    Hey,
    well done for the long post

With regards to paying off the cards - hit the ones with interest first - the highest too. I notice you have £1300 with Next, their APR is pretty high from what I remember. Try to clear those first. It will make such a difference.

Like someone else has said, if you can do this without trashing your credit do so, sounds like you might manage.

Post your SOA up when you've got it totally accurate, the few quid here and there savings all help

Good luck
    Anna
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 6th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MissF87
    It really was long, sorry guys! I just wanted to get it all off my chest I think.

Yep, Next is pretty much first on the list. I!!!8217;m going to look at the SOA today as it has some bits on which aren!!!8217;t on my budget sheet which I should probably think about such as Home Emergency Fund. One of my first priorities when all this has cleared is to have £1k in my isa at all times for emergencies.

I spoke to Halifax yesterday and they!!!8217;ve extended my mortgage term which is great, it was so easy as well, so that has freed up £140 a month which will be a big help. This is NOT a long term plan, my deal is up in February and as my BF will have moved in by then as well I!!!8217;ll be reducing it again when I switch deals then.

I need to compose the message to my nail tech to tell her I won!!!8217;t be back until next year when all my debt is cleared. She!!!8217;s so lovely and we!!!8217;ve become real friend so I think I!!!8217;m just going to be honest with her so she understands it!!!8217;s definitely nothing against her.

I just can!!!8217;t wait to get back to work and get straight with this - it!!!8217;s year end and this is the key time for me to earn the most commission, I could be looking at a really nice sum of money on my May wage if I work hard enough for the last 3 weeks of the year, hopefully enough to clear 3 or even 4 of the items on my list.

Thank you for all the help and advice so far, I think it will be helpful for me just having somewhere to come and say what I!!!8217;ve done so far and how I!!!8217;m feeling etc, even if nobody else is reading or posting.
    • loken152
    • By loken152 6th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    loken152
    I was in a simular position not long ago, heres my story if you want a read it may give you a few ideas? Good luck and keep your head up you will reach the end of the tunnel.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5664158
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 6th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MissF87
    Thanks Loken - was good to read your story and it does give me hope. I can't wait to start having that feeling of paying things off and ticking it off the list! Congratulations - it must feel amazing.

I've spent today looking at suggestions for surveys and mystery shoppers - I've signed up to 2 of the suggested survey sites on here & downloaded their apps. I've also applied to 3 companies for mystery shopping to.

I'm not about to go and write my SOA....I'll be back.....!
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 6th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MissF87
    Here is my SOA:
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2300
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2300

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 345
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 95
    Electricity............................. 40
    Gas..................................... 60
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 20
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 60
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 52
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200
    Clothing................................ 40
    Petrol/diesel........................... 100
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 19
    Life assurance ......................... 15
    Other insurance......................... 12
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Haircuts................................ 60
    Entertainment........................... 100
    Holiday................................. 50
    Emergency fund.......................... 50
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1378

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 100
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 100

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 77213....(345)......2.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 77213.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Next Directory.................1350......75........22.9
    MBNA...........................4988......60....... .0
    Halifax Card...................1880......25........19.2
    Loan 3.........................2000......65........23.6
    Loan 2.........................1000......23........22.6
    Loan 1.........................6959......178.......12.9
    AO.com.........................810.......33....... .23.15
    Total unsecured debts..........18987.....459.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,300
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,378
    Available for debt repayments........... 922
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 459
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 463

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 100
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -77,213
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -18,987
    Net Assets.............................. -96,100

Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.[/i]
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 6th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 5,215 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    theoretica
    From what you say of your clothing situation I would suggest you assign that £40 to debt. If you want to spend anything on clothing earn it first by selling stuff.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 6th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Well done on completing the SOA
    You have a surplus at the end of the month which is good.

Here is my SOA:
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2300
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2300

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 345
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 95 is this over 10 months - if so change it to 12 to free up more funds monthly rather than having 2 'free' months
    Electricity............................. 40
    Gas..................................... 60 are you on the cheapest deal for these - use a comparison site and see if you can get a better deal/some cashback
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 20
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 60 this could be cut/change to SIMO at end of contract - less than £10
    TV Licence.............................. 0 you have satellite/cable but no licence?
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 52 this is high - switch to freesat/freeview
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200
    Clothing................................ 40 cut to bare basics for a few months, easily halved
    Petrol/diesel........................... 100 what is this?
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0 none? you should have this
    Contents insurance...................... 19 at renewal check if you can get a better deal/cashback using sites like TCB/Quidco
    Life assurance ......................... 15
    Other insurance......................... 12 what is this?
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50 this is alot - £600 a yr
    Haircuts................................ 60 check out collages, go less often
    Entertainment........................... 100 can you reduce this?
    Holiday................................. 50 can you afford this?
    Emergency fund.......................... 50 as a homeowner this is a must!
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1378

Assets

Cash.................................... 0 are you only now starting the emergency fund - this needs to be £1000 minimum ASAP - you don't want to rely on credit if something goes wrong and set your debt busting back a step
    House value (Gross)..................... 0 what is your house value?
    Shares and bonds........................ 100
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 100

Secured & HP Debts

Mortgage...................... 77213....(345)......2.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 77213.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Next Directory.................1350......75........22.9
    MBNA...........................4988......60....... .0
    Halifax Card...................1880......25........19.2
    Loan 3.........................2000......65........23.6
    Loan 2.........................1000......23........22.6
    Loan 1.........................6959......178.......12.9
    AO.com.........................810.......33....... .23.15
    Total unsecured debts..........18987.....459.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,300
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,378
    Available for debt repayments........... 922
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 459
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 463

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 100
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -77,213
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -18,987
    Net Assets.............................. -96,100

Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.[/i]
    Originally posted by MissF87
    Thoughts in red above - aim at clearing the highest APR then snowball those payments onto the next debt and so on. You will make inroads steadily.

All the best with your debt busting journey.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 13,898 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    You have a surplus so I do not think you need to go down the routes of DMPs. You just need to keep a more careful grip on your money and when you spend think of whether you really need to or whether you are just paying out on wants. Selling stuff is a good start.

What is your credit rating like? Are you able to get any 0% cards to move some of the higher debts like Next, Halifax or AO? I would tackle these first as the MBNA is 0% and the loans are going down as per agreements. Overpay those once the cards are gone.

Having extended your mortgage term I strongly suggest you focus on clearing the debt asap rather than using the money freed up to fritter away. The sooner that is gone the sooner that £1000 will be back in your pocket each month rather than your lenders.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 6th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MissF87
    Thanks for the comments/advice on the SOA - not totally accurate against what is on my actual budget (will share from my excel sheet when back online tomorrow). There is no clothes budget on my budget, I also don!!!8217;t have presents on my budget either - I usually just manage out of Spends to be honest so that!!!8217;s £100 already which isn!!!8217;t on my !!!8216;official!!!8217; budget.
    In terms of mobile phone - no negotiation until October this year on that despite my best efforts with o2. The £52 listed for TV covers my landline, line rental, TV etc and I am in contact on that for another 12 months too so again can!!!8217;t make any changes there as I!!!8217;m on the lowest that I can be with them. I forgot TV license for some reason, I do have one and it is on my budget! Gas/diesel is my private mileage - I have a company car so hence no other car costs listed as this comes of my wage before it!!!8217;s paid. Other insurance is my cover for electricals in the Home which I have thought about cancelling but not sure. The £19 for buildings cover contents and buildings but it!!!8217;s combined. Just renewed and went with the best deal I could get and also have £70 cashbank pending in my TopCashback account. Electric I!!!8217;m in contract until September and my gas is calor gas. Where I live it!!!8217;s the norm to not be connected to a gas main, everyone is on either oil or gas cannisters. My parents have a new build which has something called airsource. I have shopped around and checked a million places online and there is nowhere that comes close to the current price and service which I get - 2 cannisters connected, always keep a spare so that when they run out you switch to the spare and ring them to order 2 more which they come and deliver and install for you on set days of the week. It!!!8217;s £57 a canister at the moment so I!!!8217;ve worked on an average there for what I!!!8217;ve used over a year. I will probably buy 2 cannisters in March then no more until October. Council tax is over 10 months so I!!!8217;ve factored this in for next year. £50 for hols isnt on my budget either. My holiday in June is paid for, just need some spending money which I will obviously be severely shopping around for. I think that answers all the questions?

In terms of my house, I bought it for £96k. a house a couple of doors down sold for £95k 2 days after it was listed and my property is far superior - the £95k needs considerable work doing etc so that!!!8217;s positive for me.

With the home emergency fund it really is £0. I am lucky that if I had an issue that my family can and will provide support however it!!!8217;s a priority to get this money in the bank as soon as debts are paid. I laid them out in order this afternoon based on APR and some of the suggestions on here, so thank you for those.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 13,898 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    presumably you are posting on an apple device as there are numbers instead of apostrophes in your posts?

Go to settings then keyboards and then turn Smart Keyboard off to post normally.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 7th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MissF87
    I am on an iPhone, sorry, I can't see an option to turn off Smart Keyboard only smart punctuation so hopefully that's worked.....
    • MissF87
    • By MissF87 7th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MissF87
    So here's an update on my SOA:
    Income - £2300
    Council Tax £95
    Sky £52
    Phone Bill £59
    Gas £60
    Prescription £10
    Mum & Dad £100
    Electric £40
    Water £18
    TV License £12
    Home Insurance £19
    Life Insurance £14
    Mortgage £345
    Loan £271
    Fuel £75
    Food £200
    Debts £750
    AO.com £12
    TOTAL OUT £2,132
    Remaining £168

When my partner moves in:
    Income £2300 + 500
    Council Tax £125
    Sky £52
    Phone Bill £59
    Gas £60
    Prescription £10
    Mum & Dad £100
    Electric £45
    Water £25
    TV License £12
    Home Insurance £19
    Life Insurance £14
    Mortgage £345
    Loan £271
    Fuel £75
    Food £250
    Debts £1200
    AO.com £12
    TOTAL OUT £2,639
    Remaining £168

This is the order in which I've planned to pay things off:
    Priority List
    AO.com
    Loan 2
    Loan 3
    Next
    Halifax Card
    Loan 1
    MBNA

My student loan will by paid off by December this year the latest, that free's up another £100 after tax also. Based on this, my last payments will be August 2019, meaning that my September 2019 wage will be my first debt free wage and my opportunity to start getting some money in the bank.

Thoughts/Opinions welcome.

Thanks
    Last edited by MissF87; 07-03-2018 at 1:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

625Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter