Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 3rd Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 997Posts
    • 2,189Thanks
    seashore22
    Removing red wine stain from carpet?
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    Removing red wine stain from carpet? 3rd Mar 18 at 7:16 PM
    My lovely husband knocked over a glass of red wine last night and about a third of a glass landed on our light beige carpet.

He immediately blotted it with kitchen towel and gave it a wash with some water, without scrubbing. We put some bicarb on it overnight and the stains are now a grey colour, but still obvious in some lights. He has since tried some carpet cleaner we had in the cupboard, but it really hasn't made much difference. It's a year old carpet in a large room and in a really obvious place which can't be hidden. We both feel like crying right now.

Is there anything that you could recommend that we try or I wondered if anyone had any success with professional carpet cleaners? We would happily pay if we thought it could work.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 4th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    I had tried all the old wives' methods till I got Dr Beckmann Carpet Stain Remover, and found it really did work. About 3.50 from most supermarkets.

It removes other stains too, but we were amazed at what a good job it did on dried red wine in a pale carpet, as well as the fabric seat of a chair (yes, my granddaughter was very thorough!
    • ashe
    • By ashe 4th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    My experience of heavy staining is there are always products to get it out but then it needs the whole carpet doing else the spot looks too new/clean.

Maybe get a few quotes for a proper clean?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 4th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 5,383 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    I have heard of white vinegar and water sprayed onto a carpet is supposed to work. Not tried it myself,but who knows ?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 4th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    I have heard of white vinegar and water sprayed onto a carpet is supposed to work. Not tried it myself,but who knows ?
    Originally posted by another casualty
    No, not vinegar - it may bleach the carpet.

Too late now, but white wine on top of the fresh red wine is supposed to work.

See what Lakeland Ltd have - I think they have a red wine spot cleaner.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 4th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 997 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    Thanks for all the advice.

I've looked up reviews for the Dr Beckmann carpet cleaner and we are going to see if we can get some today as the reviews look promising.

Apparently the white wine thing is a bit of a myth, as is salt, so I've avoided those so far. Not sure that the bicarb did much good either. I will have a look at the lakeland product too as we have a local store.

If anything works I will report back.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 4th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    My experience of heavy staining is there are always products to get it out but then it needs the whole carpet doing else the spot looks too new/clean.

Maybe get a few quotes for a proper clean?
    Originally posted by ashe
    The carpet is only 1 year old
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 4th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    I've looked up reviews for the Dr Beckmann carpet cleaner and we are going to see if we can get some today as the reviews look promising.

Apparently the white wine thing is a bit of a myth, as is salt, so I've avoided those so far. Not sure that the bicarb did much good either. I will have a look at the lakeland product too as we have a local store.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Yes, I originally saw the Which? review and found it really did work.

Which? also did a test of the 'old wives'' remedies and came up with the same conclusion you did.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 5th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    I am very happy to say that the Dr Beckmann carpet stain remover worked a treat and you can't see any marks on the carpet in any light. Phew.

My husband is incredibly relieved and I wanted to say a big thank you for all the advice and especially to Biggles, who is a life saver.

Hopefully this thread will help others in the same boat.

Edit - we wouldn't have wanted to clean the whole carpet because it looks like new as we have no children or pets at home any more and don't wear shoes indoors. To be honest a bit more wear and tear would have made the whole thing less annoying.
    Last edited by seashore22; 05-03-2018 at 4:02 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,029Posts Today

7,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin