Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MCRMisty
    • By MCRMisty 3rd Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MCRMisty
    Mis-sold ex rental?
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    Mis-sold ex rental? 3rd Mar 18 at 6:57 PM
    Hi

I've recently purchased an Approved Used Mercedes. The vehicle is less than a year old and described as having had 1 previous owner. However, we've since discovered that the car is actually an ex hire car, having found documentation in the glove box and after receiving the V5C which obviously names the previous owner.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had/heard of any success following up mis-selling complaints about this. A Google search leads to some news articles and a blog (usedcarscandal.co.uk) which offers to help people in this scenario - I'm not 100% comfortable filling out the form on this website and giving my details to a legal firm if it's something I can tackle myself.

Any help would be appreciated

I should clarify - I'm talking about an ex-hire car (Hertz/Avis/Europcar), not one that was previosuly on PCP.
    Last edited by MCRMisty; 04-03-2018 at 1:01 PM.
Page 3
    • waamo
    • By waamo 4th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    waamo
    One in ten hire cars used for human trafficking and drug running? Crikey if the police pulled over every hire car then crime could be cleared up overnight.
    This space for hire.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,762 Thanks
    AdrianC
    County line trafficking of people and drugs. Nothing to do with American TV. Keep up.
    Originally posted by vikingaero
    Right, so if I drive a car of bad people and recreational pharmaceuticals a mile or so, over the "county line", what will that add to any sentence should I be caught?

(Does it make a big difference that that "county line" is actually between Herefordshire and Powys...?)
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 4th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 10,391 Posts
    • 13,085 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Here's one story:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/children-drug-mules-uk-thousands-county-lines-gangs-vulnerable-expanding-rural-britain-seaside-a8080001.html

You can google many more. Most agencies think what they know is the tip of the iceberg.
    The man without a signature.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 4th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    waamo
    Here's one story:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/children-drug-mules-uk-thousands-county-lines-gangs-vulnerable-expanding-rural-britain-seaside-a8080001.html

You can google many more. Most agencies think what they know is the tip of the iceberg.
    I seriously have no idea what you are on about or how a random news story about 12 year old drug mules relates to hire cars being used for crime.
    This space for hire.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 4th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 10,391 Posts
    • 13,085 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Because 12 year old drugs mules cannot drive. I'm not saying that every rental car is used for crime. It was just an illustration that you don't know the history of rental vehicles.
    The man without a signature.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,762 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Here's one story:

Right. I see the confusion.

"County lines" - as in a nickname for distribution lines taking drugs into the county, from the city.

Nothing at all to do with the boundaries of jurisdictions, making an offence into a more serious one because of escalation from local to regional or national law enforcement, because that simply doesn't apply here.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 16,630 Posts
    • 9,817 Thanks
    motorguy
    Because 12 year old drugs mules cannot drive. I'm not saying that every rental car is used for crime. It was just an illustration that you don't know the history of rental vehicles.
    Get over yourself.

You dont know the history of *ANY* used car.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 4th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    Ectophile
    How about turning it around and consider the case where the car wasn't hired, leased, PCP'd or anything like that. There was one previous owner who was a private individual.

So why did that person buy a brand new car and then get rid of it in less than a year? Is it a total lemon that spends most of its time in the garage being fixed? Does it drink fuel so fast it was bankrupting the owner? Does it smell of incontinent dog whenever it gets a bit damp?

I would definitely be more nervous of a nearly new private car that somebody didn't want than a lease car that came to the end of the lease agreement.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Mar 18, 3:16 AM
    • 2,874 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Tarambor
    However, the more that consumers vote with their feet and don't buy ex "hire" cars the better, as this will drive used car prices down.
    Originally posted by facade
    Actually the reverse will be true because you're ignoring a very large part of the used car market so there'll be more people chasing fewer cars so the price will go up.

I have no problem buying ex-hire cars. I bought my 2 year old Mondeo with 38k for 1/3 of its new price and it was ex-rental. Its now just over 7 years old, on 128,000 miles and other than a rubber bush at 70,000 miles which is a common fault, a track rod end and a battery at 125k miles its never had any issues. Never broken down, never let me down, still on the original clutch.

Please carry on refusing to buy ex-hire cars, tell all your friends. It makes my next car even cheaper.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 5th Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    caprikid1
    Drug trafficking
    Lets be honest if you are using a hire car to traffic drugs you will be driving like miss daisy !.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 5th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    Whether the car was owned by Miss Daisy or Avis makes no odds as to the value or price IMHO..

You bought the Merc liking the price and features on offer, and that hasn't changed..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin