Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • merrydance
    • By merrydance 3rd Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 422Posts
    • 332Thanks
    merrydance
    Buyer wants refund due to non delivery
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    Buyer wants refund due to non delivery 3rd Mar 18 at 6:42 PM
    I had a buyer open a case against me regarding late delivery. I sent the parcel through the Post Office on the 26.02. sent to Belfast in Northern Island. I have proof of posting. I not surprised the parcel hasn't arrived, the post offices here have been shut since Wednesday 28.2. and I haven't received any post either. You would think that people would use their brains and think maybe - perhaps - things are going to be delayed.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 3rd Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 60,319 Posts
    • 42,977 Thanks
    soolin
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    I had a buyer open a case against me regarding late delivery. I sent the parcel through the Post Office on the 26.02. sent to Belfast in Northern Island. I have proof of posting. I not surprised the parcel hasn't arrived, the post offices here have been shut since Wednesday 28.2. and I haven't received any post either. You would think that people would use their brains and think maybe - perhaps - things are going to be delayed.
    Originally posted by merrydance
    Unfortunately eBay don't seem to care much about the weather. All you can do is re assure the buyer that it was posted and that whilst they are so badly affected by the weather it seems obvious it cannot be delivered. HOwever , don't take your eye of the date at which it can be escalated as without proof of delivery you cannot win the INR.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • vtech19
    • By vtech19 3rd Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    vtech19
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    most buyers dont use their brains, I sell software and recently i had a neg feedback because i don't make it clear that the license for a specific bit of software is for 8.5.0 only. But at the top of my item description in big pink bold text i state "THIS IS FOR v 8.5.0 ONLY!"
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 3rd Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    Send the buyer a scan of the proof of posting (you can attach to an ebay message) - that might make them stop and think....but there again....
    • soolin
    • By soolin 3rd Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 60,319 Posts
    • 42,977 Thanks
    soolin
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    Send the buyer a scan of the proof of posting (you can attach to an ebay message) - that might make them stop and think....but there again....
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    That can backfire though as a buyer might think the seller is trying to palm them off with 'we posted it so hard luck'. Also, as a case is already open it leaves the OP in a very precarious position, so I certainly wouldn't be doing anything to upset the buyer now.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • kev25v6
    • By kev25v6 4th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    kev25v6
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    It!!!8217;s your problem until delivered and signed for. If rm lose the parcel only you can claim from them not the buyer. I!!!8217;d send the buyer the proof of postage but let them know that you are willing to chase it up with rm to ease their mind over it not being delivered yet. Good customer service will help with good feedback for you too.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    It's your problem until delivered and signed for. If rm lose the parcel only you can claim from them not the buyer. I'd send the buyer the proof of postage but let them know that you are willing to chase it up with rm to ease their mind over it not being delivered yet. Good customer service will help with good feedback for you too.
    Originally posted by kev25v6
    It is the seller's problem until delivery but they don't need a signature and Royal Mail do allow a claim from either party (buyer / seller) but back to your point about the POP; the buyer has a case open, as has been said above, a POP won't help and may inflame the situation. By all means send it to show that the item was sent but it's pretty pointless and if there is any doubt it will aggravate the situation then it's best not sent.

There will only be one outcome to the case unless the buyer has proof of delivery.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 60,319 Posts
    • 42,977 Thanks
    soolin
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    It!!!8217;s your problem until delivered and signed for. If rm lose the parcel only you can claim from them not the buyer. I!!!8217;d send the buyer the proof of postage but let them know that you are willing to chase it up with rm to ease their mind over it not being delivered yet. Good customer service will help with good feedback for you too.
    Originally posted by kev25v6
    As per theonlywayisup, any RM claim is immaterial at this point. There is a case open and that will close long before any RM claim can even be started .

The buyer is going to get a refund in a few days regardless of any POP or RM claim , all the OP can do is hope that the item tracks as delivered before the case is found in favour of the buyer.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • merrydance
    • By merrydance 4th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    merrydance
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    What happens if the parcel is received (and in all likelihood will be) after a refund is paid to the buyer?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 60,319 Posts
    • 42,977 Thanks
    soolin
    What happens if the parcel is received (and in all likelihood will be) after a refund is paid to the buyer?
    Originally posted by merrydance
    All the seller can do is politely ask the buyer to re pay or to make the item available for collection. Obviously small claims could be considered, but whether or not it would be worth it is another matter and from reading a thread on a different board it seems the court might just expect the seller to have tried to negotiate for the item to be collected from the buyer at a time convenient to the buyer.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Techno
    • By Techno 4th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    Techno
    If it is a parcel and not a large letter do you not have the 16 digit code on your receipt. If you put this into the RM website it will tell you when it is delivered. However, it isnt even a week yet - what is the expected delivery time frame from e-bay?

I am a little anxious as posted a parcel first class on Weds 28th and still not delivered although everything else I sent 2nd class on that day has arrived at its destination. Cant post on Monday or Tuesday so I have a 3 day dispatch at the moment but as the buyer bought on the Saturday I sent first class on weds 28th (at my expense) to try to beat the snow. How bad is Kent?
    Last edited by Techno; 04-03-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,645Posts Today

8,300Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin