Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clairecymru
    • By clairecymru 3rd Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    • 482Posts
    • 2,649Thanks
    clairecymru
    Four year old will not poo on toilet
    • 3rd Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    Four year old will not poo on toilet 3rd Mar 18 at 6:00 PM
    Help! My four year old DS has never done a poo on the toilet. He pees fine but refuses to poo anywhere other than his pants or a pull up. He understands that poos should go in the toilet but he cannot give me a reason why he always poos in his pants. He doesn't even mind sitting in it once he has done it and will not come and tell me once he has done it and I can smell it.

I have spoken to HV and he has been seen by a paediatrician. He is on movicol as he was constipated but is not anymore.

I am at my wits end. He is due to start school in September. Does anyone have any advice? I have tried reward charts and stickers. I have potty training books which he loves but still getting nowhere.

He is not scared of the toilet. He will happily sit on it. The other day I caught him trying to poo and I sat him on the toilet and he sat there for over an hour reading his book but does nothing. He comes off the toilet and about 45 mins later he poos despite promising me that he will tell me when he needs to poo.

Help!
    Hoping and Praying for that ITV win!
Page 2
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 4th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,879 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    So long as he has no medical reason and the toilet feels secure ( has a small child seat ontop of normal one and a step to rest feet) I'd be getting a bit tougher. At 4 and starting school this year I feel he is old enough to reason with. I'd not use pull ups. If he does it in his pants it will be more unpleasant. Then keep repeating its not OK to do this. Big boys at school have to use the toilet and he can't sit in dirty trousers all day, smelling bad. Tell him its unhealthy and could make him poorly and nobody will want to be friends with him if he is dirty and smelly. Is he looking forward to school? Could tell him he won't be allowed in unless he can use the toilet. Don't do that if he is not looking forward to school obviously!
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 4th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Does he want to go to school? Maybe not, that's why he's doing it. I think I would try making him clean himself, don't let him have a book or anything the toilet is for toileting, not reading, he needs to concentrate on what he is supposed to be doing not reading.
    a bit bizarre but have you put him on a potty while you or your husband use the toilet?
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 4th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 6,113 Posts
    • 11,519 Thanks
    GwylimT
    My daughter would only poo in a nappy, she was almost six when she started pooing on the toilet. We didn!!!8217;t make any fuss, just gave her a nappy when she needed a poo and she eventually started using the loo on her own and proudly showed us her sh*tty backside after her first toilet poo.

She will wash her hands after the loo, still working on toilet flushing!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 5th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 13,971 Posts
    • 26,739 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Can you step up the bribery? So rather than stickers, a proper nice treat when he goes in the toilet. Put the treats on display, on a high shelf near the bathroom and say "look at these nice things you'll get when you use the toilet". Not food or sweets, but perhaps a small toy? And then a bigger reward if he does it 5 times.

And then if he goes in his pants you pick up one of the treats and look at it sadly, saying "such a shame you'll have to wait another day for this". He should also be involved in the cleaning and laundering of the dirty clothes. I also wouldn't use pull-ups - it'll be far more unpleasant to go in real clothes.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 5th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 3,958 Posts
    • 13,495 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I

Can you explain to him in simple terms how the poo needs to go down the hole into the sewer and then starts a journey where it meets up with other poos so it won,t be lonely.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I have heard friends with kids recommend a book called "Mr Poo Goes To PooLand" which sounds much better than anything I read on my English Lit degree.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin