Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 3rd Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 1,385Posts
    • 2,240Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    Blutooth coverter -will it turn on with TV speaker
    • 3rd Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    Blutooth coverter -will it turn on with TV speaker 3rd Mar 18 at 5:13 PM
    Hi! Thick question. TV in awkward position in bedroom so hard.to access sockets at back. Presently have a regza Toshiba 1080p, 42 inch. Not Bluetooth enabled as far as I know. TV is around 8 yes old and works fab. .

Presently own cheapo ASDS infra red head sets....not comfortable really but sound OK. BUT.....involves a lot of twisting around to access back & its a pain.. Whilst infra red 'base' is plugged in, even if head set off, no sound from tv speakers.

I wondered if a lightweight blutooth speaker and a Blutooth converter either plugged to mains or into spare audio 3.5 jack would a) be more comfortable, b)...stay plugged into tv and tv normal speaker works, even if Bluetooth converter left on?

Any product cheap reccomendations eBay/amazon?

Main reason for this is that neighbours have a new born and don't want to wake them with me lumping around!

Thanks if you can advise!
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 3rd Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    I have a bluetooth converter for my tv which works well but I have to switch it on and pair everytime (to my bluetooth headphones). The limitations are the converters battery life (mines about 5 hrs). It can be left on charge, but it doesn't pair/work when on charge. (I've not found one yet that works while charging - I've tried 3!)
    I think you'd also still need to select between headphone & TV speaker too (via tv menu), or unplug the converter to allow the tv speaker to work, as you've found.
    Is the current cable a 3.5mm one? You could extend the current headset cable to make it easier to access & unplug when needed, or is the tv speaker automatically switched off when any lead is plugged in to the tv??
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 3rd Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    Yes, 3.5mm. Am I being thick, but if I I detach the extension lead the other half of the 3.5mm cable will still be connected. ...so surely the lead still being connected directly to the tv, hence no sound from tv speakers?

0r....as the cable is NOT going directly to IR Transmitter base unit....will tv main sound automatically come back on at tv main speakers...hence avoiding the noise and hassle of moving tv?

Sorry to be dumb (!).
    Last edited by DEBTMONKEY1A; 03-03-2018 at 8:16 PM.
    • Jaymie kate
    • By Jaymie kate 4th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Jaymie kate
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    Go to ebay or amazon as there are several bluetooth speakers and adapters you can use for your tv. The only thing you have to be sure of is the compatibility of your tv to the blutetooth adapter.
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 4th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    Sainlogic 2 in 1 transmitter & receiver on ebay,flashg67, something like this would turn my non Bluetooth TV to on where I can listen to the TV? Been reading up and not sure if TV has option to switch on remote between Bluetooth/TV speakers or I'd need to lump TV about hence making a noise-defeats object of ordinal post!

Saw a 3.3mm adaptor in Wilco today for 1-75, will try and connect tomorrow and see if once transmitter off the TV speakers work again? That sounds easier than mucking about with pairing up/charging, etc.

BTW...eBay have cheaper 3.5 mm units in transmit/receive only (the product above is for BOTH) functions. Which one would index to receive the TV sound (bearing its non Bluetooth), receive or transmit? Sorry to be thick !

Thanks!

EDIT....No setting on TV to change between Bluetooth & TV speakers. Also tried leaving a 3.5 cable from IR transmitter with headphones/transmitter off & another spare lead....no TV speaker sound.
    Last edited by DEBTMONKEY1A; 04-03-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 4th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 7,089 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    Does the tv have phono or scart outputs? Does your current headset have independent volume control?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    Has a phono socket which present IR unit uses and 2 scarts.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 7,089 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    Has a phono socket which present IR unit uses and 2 scarts.
    Originally posted by DEBTMONKEY1A
    Phono sockets don't switch the sound off, presumably you are referring to the 3.5mm jack plug socket.

Do the headphones have independent volume control?

• DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 5th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    Morning!
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    Yes. ...it has individual volume on IR headphones and yes you are correct regarding 3.5 jack socket. On awkward hard to reach panel on back of television the socket that plugs in has a little 'headset' icon next to the socket.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 7,089 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/scart-3-5mm-socket-adaptor-audio/dp/B00136X340

Or if it has phono audio out, https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5mm-Stereo-Socket-Adapter-Black/dp/B003OSPTVU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_lp_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 &refRID=6ZXC681CYKGKHV5ESHC5

You might find them cheaper if you look around.

• psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 5th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    Had a quick look at a manual which might match your TV (you don't give an exact model). It labels the phono sockets as input-only, so that wouldn't work to get the sound from the TV. I think it is typical that the headphone socket is wired such that plugging anything in will disconnect the TV speakers, so yes, even an extension cable which had nothing at the other end would disable the TV speaker.

The SCART sockets are labelled as input/output, so that might be one way to get the audio from the TV without disabling the TV speakers. (I used to use a cable from SCART output on VHS recorder to stereo to get sound, when the TV's sound broke.) However, would you then have the opposite problem - how do you turn off the TV speakers and listen to the sound through bluetooth (or whatever) only ? Mute would (presumably) mute all sound.

Perhaps one option is to get some external speakers for the TV - and old set of PC speakers from a charity shop would do. Then you *always* have something plugged into the headphone socket, so that TV speakers are disabled. You can use a cable splitter to feed two devices from the audio - the external speakers and your current IR headphones or a bluetooth transmitter. Then you turn on the external speakers if you want to fill the room with noise, or leave them off to listen only remotely.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 7,089 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    how do you turn off the TV speakers
    Turning the volume down wouldn't affect the scart output.

• flashg67
    • By flashg67 5th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    flashg67
    If you go with bluetooth, you need a bluetooth adapter that is a transmitter (or both.
    , and use the 'transmit' setting only)
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 6th Mar 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    Wow....thanks guys/gals......plenty to look at! Which socket would the Bluetooth transmitter fit to? Already have a small bluetooth 'bud' that would be SO much more comfortable and cheapest option as transmitters would be 5-6 quid only.

Again....sorry to be thick but as soon as Bluetooth plugged in TV speakers go off? Will deffo look st all options.

WOW.....technical knowledge is FAB on here-THANKS!
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 6th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    Wow....thanks guys/gals......plenty to look at! Which socket would the Bluetooth transmitter fit to? Already have a small bluetooth 'bud' that would be SO much more comfortable and cheapest option as transmitters would be 5-6 quid only.

Again....sorry to be thick but as soon as Bluetooth plugged in TV speakers go off? Will deffo look st all options.

WOW.....technical knowledge is FAB on here-THANKS!
    You can almost certainly get a bluetooth transmitter that would plug into the TV headphones output. But you said it's very hard to access the headphone socket, so you wouldn't want to have to keep reaching round the TV to unplug the transmitter in order to turn on the TV speakers.

The alternative is to, effectively, create a second headphone socket, taking the sound from the TV scart output socket. But this is all slightly speculative, since we don't know for sure exactly how that works - exact TV model number would help.

When I got the audio output from scart socket, I had to solder up my own connector. But I did once have a proper patch kit thing which allowed a scart connector to be converted to various other connectors. But something like this might do the trick:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Piece-SCART-Adapter-S-Video/dp/B003JHCW02/ref=sr_1_3

If you had a bluetooth transmitter that could plug into the phono output, or which had a 3.5 socket that the cable could plug into, it might work. (Sorry, I'm not an expert in this area, but I'm sure someone else will point out if I'm wrong.) There are some cheaper ones that don't have the cables, which would make sense

Or a cable such as this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KnnX-28052-Bidirectional-Headphone-Transmitter-Black/dp/B00X5NRC5U/ref=sr_1_5
    would plug into the scart adapter thing and provide a 3.5mm headphone socket, into which a bluetooth transmitter could go. (If you don't already have a bluetooth transmitter, you could test by plugging in some powered pc speakers or something - may not be sufficient power to drive headphones or unpowered speakers directly. Or your existing IR headphones, for that matter.)

Anyway, all sorts of adapters are available, just a case of finding patching bits and pieces together to do what you need.
    Last edited by psychic teabag; 06-03-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 7th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 7,089 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    .sorry to be thick but as soon as Bluetooth plugged in TV speakers go off?
    Plugged into headphone 3.5mm jack out the speakers will go off. Connected via phono audio out or scart adaptor speakers will stay on.

• DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 9th Mar 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    Hey guys/gals, sorry for late reply.....man flu ( very serious lol!).: Will look at all options kindly given by yourselves by alas looks like I might have to move the TV....not convenient at all but as a worst case scenario. Don't have full model number but it's around 7 yes old,....still with fan picture!.. !!!8230;..and is a REGZA 42 INCH Toshiba. The scarf idea would have worked as in an easy location to reach but if tv speakers stay on as 1 poster mentioned it sort of defeats the object. Will keep the thread updated. Thanks for your time and kindness!
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 7,089 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The scarf idea would have worked as in an easy location to reach but if tv speakers stay on
    Just turn the volume down. The scart output will not be affected!

Don't have full model number
    It'll be on the back of the tv.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 10-03-2018 at 9:08 AM.

• DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 10th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    Ahhh...will re look at the scart....thanks again!
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 10th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    Hi.....will re look at the scary option and report back.....sounds ideal! Thanks again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,141Posts Today

8,211Users online

Martin's Twitter