Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 3rd Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 103Thanks
    Mydmp
    Need to stop procrastinating and just do it!
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    Need to stop procrastinating and just do it! 3rd Mar 18 at 1:05 PM
    Hi everyone
    Been a long, long time lurker on this site and have learned a lot along the way. Trouble is we’ve not put into practice what we’ve learned and we’re now back to being in a lot of debt.
    In fairness to ourselves it has been a very difficult year with unexpected family problems which has meant a temporary reduction in income and a lot of additional expense. This shouldn’t have been a problem if we had looked after our finances in the past. Unfortunately we hadn’t and as a result our credit history is appalling and we had no savings. This has resulted in us having to take on a lot of further debt at really high interest rates.
    Thankfully from the end of this month our income will return to normal so we are determined to never get in this position again.
    We do both earn good salaries so we know we should be able to do it. Lots of people on here are in a far worse position than us and we feel ashamed that despite a good income we’ve allowed ourselves to get into such a dire position.

Determined this time to stop procrastinating and to just get on with it!!

Hoping starting this diary and being active on this forum will help keep us on track
Page 1
    • LearningtoAdult
    • By LearningtoAdult 3rd Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    LearningtoAdult
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    Good luck on your journey. I'll be subscribing to follow and hopefully pick up some tips along the way. x
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,729 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    Hi, welcome to DFW and good luck with your journey.
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 3rd Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    MeenaM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    Welcome and good luck !
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/0- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 3845.89AA Credit Card £860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £614/£1000
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 3rd Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    • 3rd Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    Hi everyone Lovely to hear from you all and thank you for your welcome messages.

I have subscribed to all of your diaries. I will spend this evening catching up with your journeys.
    Last edited by Mydmp; 03-03-2018 at 3:24 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,600 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    Happy new shiny diary.
    Keep posting!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 3rd Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    Happy new diary and good luck
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £770.00 Total Now Owed = £16,860
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £250.00
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 3rd Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    Hiya! Good luck on your journey I've subscribed and will be cheering you on x
    19-02-18 Total Debt £4,015 Next £815 Very £1600 Tesco Credit Card £1600
    PAID Next £815/£815 now closed Very £900/ 1600 Tesco £160/ £1600
    Emergency Fund £280/£300
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 4th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    Read lots of diaries last night and feel really inspired by the stories that I read. Thank you to everyone that has visited our new diary and for the lovely comments.

Didn!!!8217;t spend yesterday just reading though. As the title of our diary states we need to stop procrastinating and get on with reducing our own debt. Whilst reading everyone!!!8217;s diaries helps motivate it won!!!8217;t make a difference if we don!!!8217;t take some actual actions. This is the mistake we!!!8217;ve made in the past. If we!!!8217;d taken action before now then we wouldn!!!8217;t have finished up with the huge debts that we have today.

So yesterday we took some positive actions towards changing the way we live and to reduce the debt chain around our necks. The actions that we took were :-

1. Signed up for a new account with YNAB and set it up with all our accounts and debts so that we have a clear picture of exactly what we owe to everyone and an agreed budget to stick to going forward.
    2. Produced an accurate and realistic SOA which shows that we will be able to clear our debts within 5 yrs provided we stick to our plans. (Hopefully we will do it much quicker but the events of the past year have made us realise that life is precious and too short to miss out on everything)
    3. Made homemade pizza for dinner last night. Traditionally Saturday night has been takeaway night. For three adults (our adult son is still living at home whilst saving for a house - he has a good job and pays !!!8216;board!!!8217; to cover additional expenses and food etc) we would have spent £24.10 by ordering from our local takeaway. Instead we used ingredients that we already had. The pizzas were delicious and much healthier than the ones we usually have.
    4. As we didn!!!8217;t have to out to pick up the pizzas we didn!!!8217;t call at the local shop to buy wine and dessert. Again had healthier options that we already had, saving another £12.
    5. Started this diary which will hopefully help keep us on track.

Intend listing our debt busting actions each day so that we have a record of our progress
    Last edited by Mydmp; 04-03-2018 at 6:20 PM.
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 4th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    Help please. Does anyone know why apostrophe are replaced with a string of letters and how to stop it doing it?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,729 Thanks
    redofromstart
    ooh ooh me, I do! Cumbria lass told me - iOS, settings, general, keyboard then turn smart punctuation off
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 4th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    ooh ooh me, I do! Cumbria lass told me - iOS, settings, general, keyboard then turn smart punctuation off
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thank you
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 4th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    We've been food shopping this afternoon and have managed to pick up some amazing bargains.
    Started off in MrM and by luck picked exactly the right time for the yellow sticker reduced items. We picked up £37.54 worth of goods for just £2.05 including:-

3 packs of chicken mince reduced from £3.50 each to 18p each
    6 packs of cooked chicken fillets reduced from £2 each to 10p each
    3 pots of cottage cheese reduced from 67p each to 7p each
    3 carton fresh milk reduced from £1.10 each to 6p each
    1 carton buttermilk reduced from 70p to 7p
    1 pack fancy yoghurts reduced from £2.76 to 14p
    1 piece Wensleydale blue cheese reduced from £2.27 to 12p
    2 pasta salads reduced from £2 each to 10p each

Unfortunately (or so we thought) MrM had no fresh coriander left and as we use it on an almost daily basis we decided to drive to a large Asian supermarket in a nearby town. Turned out to be a brilliant decision. At this supermarket we picked up :-

16 packets of dried organic wholemeal spaghetti reduced from £1.67 each to 10p each (best before end of next month but it keeps for ever!)
    5 litres of UHT single cream (in 5 separate cartons) reduced from £10.05 to £1

In total we bought £73.59 worth of food for just £4.65 making a saving of £68.94 or 94%. Best bit is that all the items apart from the cream regularly appear on our shopping lists.

Used 4 packs of the cooked chicken fillets to make a Thai curry for dinner tonight. Added baby sweetcorn and red peppers which we already had in fridge and a carton of Thai green curry paste that we already had in our massively overstocked store cupboard. We have a stash of the curry pastes that we bought previously for 33p each from AF. Served with boiled white rice which we buy in bulk from Asian supermarket.
    Total cost of meal was £1.83 and served 3 adults (61p each).
    Compared to the £45 that we would have spent on Sunday lunch in our local carvery (that we had previously planned on doing) that's another saving of £43.17 today and we all enjoyed it just as much.

Choosing to shop today instead of going out for lunch has therefore saved us a massive £112.11.
    In addition to the reduced items we also made the conscious decision to not buy a bottle of wine for this evening saving another £6 increasing the saving today to £118.11
    The chicken mince, rest of chicken fillets, cottage cheese, fresh milk and buttermilk are now safely stored in freezer. Pasta salads and yoghurts will be used for work lunches tomorrow and will probably make Broccoli and Stilton soup with the blue cheese.

Hope everyone has had an equally productive and money saving Sunday
    Last edited by Mydmp; 04-03-2018 at 8:47 PM.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,729 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Wow, that is an excellent haul. Beats my 30% off a bag of radishes in the co-op by a mile
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 4th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    Wow, that is an excellent haul. Beats my 30% off a bag of radishes in the co-op by a mile
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Every little helps Are you planning something nice to do with the radishes?

Must admit we were stunned with the bargains that we got. Right place at right time.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,729 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Nothing exciting, topped and tailed as extra vitamins for packed lunches tomorrow.

Great when you time it right, and at least you had room for it all.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 4th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,015 Thanks
    savingholmes
    It's great when you make a decision to improve things and it's as if you get a helping hand.... Fantastic savings and decisions there.
    Today is a new day £93/310 £10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 4th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    It's great when you make a decision to improve things and it's as if you get a helping hand.... Fantastic savings and decisions there.
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    Thank you. Have to say it's definitely given us a boost. Feels like we've had one of the best weekends in a long time.
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 5th Mar 18, 11:31 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    Happy Monday morning everyone.
    Actions yesterday to becoming debt free were :-
    1. Going grocery shopping instead of going out for Sunday lunch saving £43.17
    2. Shopped for bargains but only bought what we would definitely use. Saved £68.94 on reduced items
    3. Resisted buying wine which we traditionally have on Sunday evening saving £6
    4. Updated YNAB
    5. Posted on this diary

Add savings from yesterday to those from Saturday and we've saved ourselves a grand total of £152.93 in just one weekend and we've not felt deprived at all. In fact it's been quite exciting.

When it's all written down it really does make you think
    • Mydmp
    • By Mydmp 5th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mydmp
    After yesterday I didn't think we would be going food shopping again for several weeks but following a call to an elderly relative I found myself taking an unexpected trip to MrA this morning so that they could do their grocery shop. Whilst I didn't intend buying anything I couldn't resist taking a look to see if there was any reduced items. Was amazed to find lots of 1.25kg bags of mixed eating apples reduced from £1.50 a bag to just 30p. Bought 4 bags which between them contained 38 large apples so that's just 3p each.
    Need some recipes now for an apple cake if anyone can recommend one?
    Also picked up a large bag of fresh basil that was reduced from 70p to 30p.

I now had the bargain hunting bug so decided to call in at MrT's on my way home from work this evening as I drive straight past it. So pleased that I did. They had masses of cooked chicken, cooked meat, artisan bread and cheese that were all drastically reduced. Picked up £47.18 worth of goodies for £14.83 including :-
    4 large plain chicken thighs
    8 large spicy chicken thighs
    10 large Chinese barbecued chicken thighs
    Large artisan ciabatta loaf
    Large artisan rye loaf
    6 large tiger rolls
    Large artisan chilli loaf
    Large artisan kalamata olive loaf
    Large artisan wholemeal loaf
    Large bag sliced lunch tongue
    13 large pieces of cheese including Shropshire Blue, Kaltbach (Swiss cheese made in Gruyere), Blue Stilton, Castillo Danish Blue, Parmigiano, Chedder with chilli, Double Gloucester, Davidstow Mature Chedder and Gouda.

After yesterday's haul I really could not believe my luck in that I'd done it again, particularly since what was reduced was food that we love. Was really late by the time I got home so we decided to have a very simple dinner of spicy chicken thighs and olive bread. Was delicious and entire meal for two cost just £2.20.
    The plain and Chinese thighs are now stashed in freezer along with the tiger rolls and 4 of the artisan loaves. Cheese has filled a large drawer in fridge. Will freeze some or most of it tomorrow once I've done a meal plan for rest of week.

In other debtfreewanabe news we received a unexpected payment of £45 this afternoon from a lovely family member. They'd had a bit of a windfall and wanted us to have a share because of things we've been helping with. Will be using it as an extra payment to one of our debts.

Have also decided to have another go at survey sites as every little helps. Logged into prolific academic and found that there was a balance of £2.90 and two surveys available. Completed both and earned another £1.70

Good day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

951Posts Today

6,907Users online

Martin's Twitter