Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hoc
    • By hoc 3rd Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 244Posts
    • 142Thanks
    hoc
    AJ Bell Youinvest competitions
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    AJ Bell Youinvest competitions 3rd Mar 18 at 12:40 PM
    Am I the only one who finds these competitions very 1% lifestyle? I have yet to come across a prize that I would consider useful, it is always something very cliche aspirational- the latest one is a powerboat ride.
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 3rd Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 7,976 Posts
    • 14,513 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    I thought the latest deal was a meal for ten at a michelin star restaurant (Marcus Wareing's place, I've not been there since years ago when it Petrus but it was excellent).

Would you prefer some McDonalds vouchers or something less aspirational? We are talking about people qualifying for a prize draw based on putting thousands of pounds into an investment.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 3rd Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    Maybe they should run a competition to choose their next competition prize?

I am always suspicious of financial institutions that can afford to run competitions or sponsor football teams and stadiums. It gives me the impression they are insufficiency aligned to my accumulation objectives.

I like a good old fashioned guaranteed signup bonus. But if the bonus is too big I get suspicious again that they are hoping to make too much profit out of me.

Alec
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 3rd Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 5,388 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    I thought the latest deal was a meal for ten at a michelin star restaurant (Marcus Wareing's place, I've not been there since years ago when it Petrus but it was excellent).
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    I've eaten there since it became Marcus, still excellent. I had the tasting menu and couldn't fit the profiteroles in so they put them into a glittery doggy bag for me. Can recommend
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 3rd Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 7,976 Posts
    • 14,513 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    I am always suspicious of financial institutions that can afford to run competitions or sponsor football teams and stadiums. It gives me the impression they are insufficiency aligned to my accumulation objectives.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Basically you want them to grow so they have the huge economies of scale that allow them to provide the operational services at a low cost per pound you put through their platform; but you don't want them to undertake advertising on a national scale, preferring to be involved in a niche cult business that operates only by word of mouth...

Do you think Andy Bell should just give up his weekends to hand out flyers outside the local chipshop and maintain / grow his 40bn under administration that way?

I like a good old fashioned guaranteed signup bonus. But if the bonus is too big I get suspicious again that they are hoping to make too much profit out of me.
    Yes, effectively if they can pay you x to sign up but will only earn x in fees off you over the next decade, something is probably wrong... so maybe they are expecting to make 2x per year out of you instead, which means you should be suspicious of the maths that suggests it will take them a decade to make back their promo money from you...
    • hoc
    • By hoc 3rd Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    hoc
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    This was one sent via email. I don't check the site, I didn't know about it, I had received an email for the dinner also. Perhaps certain competitions are limited to certain customers. I imagine I'm a bigger than average portfolio holder so maybe it's one not available for all or maybe it just hasn't been posted online.

Regardless, I find prizes have become increasingly tacky, nouveau riche, selfie generation- call it what you like. There should of course be some appeal to prizes, some level of luxury or exclusivity. Claiming I suggested along the lines of fast food vouchers is just blatantly disingenuous and does not need further entertaining.

Previous type of prizes like tickets to rugby matches, while did not personally interest me, seemed more useful. I do agree the level of sponsorship to sports may be questioned especially as AJ Bell's rates have risen more than others but that is another discussion.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 3rd Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    Do you think Andy Bell should just give up his weekends to hand out flyers outside the local chipshop and maintain / grow his 40bn under administration that way?
    I would be very happy to see him doing that, yes. He could print them from the pulp of unsold copies of his DIY Investor book which I received free and was pleased to sell on eBay which helped pay my YouInvest exit fee last year.

I get the argument that marketing should result in larger economics of scale. However those benefits don't often get back to the customers in the investment market. The most compelling products are often from companies that keep a low profile and so genuinely compete to have the business.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 03-03-2018 at 2:00 PM. Reason: Improved
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 3rd Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    TBC15
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    An opportunity to have a meal while your car gets a new set of tires sounds great. Anyone have a list of the chip shops participating.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 7,976 Posts
    • 14,513 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    Just to bump the most recent AJ Bell thread I could see on the board. They mentioned by direct-to-customer email today that they are considering an IPO later in 2018 or early 2019 and if they do, they'll offer customers an exclusive allocation within the overall funds being raised.

My senior management team and I are all really excited about the possibility of leading AJ Bell into its next chapter under public ownership and rest assured, our strategy will not be changing as a result and nor should it impact on our proposition or the service you receive.

We are making our intentions known earlier than may be typical, to give customers the chance to understand our business model and join us on a journey through our 2018 interim and final annual results before we IPO later in 2018 or early 2019. A final decision about whether to proceed with a listing will be made during the coming months so at present there is no guarantee that it will go ahead, but I will keep you updated.

In the meantime it is very much business as usual.
    I've been happy with them as a private company; the ownership models in the industry differ substantially from firm to firm., but whoever owns it the service may ultimately change for better or worse so there is not much to be said at this stage until there are some hard facts to read about financials, pricing range, which owners are keeping what stake, etc.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 12th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    I've been happy with them as a private company; the ownership models in the industry differ substantially from firm to firm., but whoever owns it the service may ultimately change for better or worse so there is not much to be said at this stage until there are some hard facts to read about financials, pricing range, which owners are keeping what stake, etc.
    Let's hope II don't see them as another 'opportunity to expand in the market'
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • sam_scott
    • By sam_scott 21st Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sam_scott
    Yes, I really am not keen on the competitions. It annoys me that they launch them usually after I've invested my ISA/SIPP allowance for the year as well.
    • jamei305
    • By jamei305 21st Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    jamei305

Would you prefer some McDonalds vouchers or something less aspirational? We are talking about people qualifying for a prize draw based on putting thousands of pounds into an investment.
    It's all a bit stereotyped. Currently they're offering a free case of wine for opening a SIPP because of course anyone in the market for their products loves quaffing wine at middle-class dinner parties with their wine-quaffing chums. No cash alternative because non-drinkers obviously don't fit their customer profile.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

784Posts Today

6,227Users online

Martin's Twitter