Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 3rd Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 791Posts
    • 3,823Thanks
    lamarsi
    The Last Leg.
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    The Last Leg. 3rd Mar 18 at 11:56 AM
    I first joined this site ten years ago, and during that time my life has taken some weird twists and turns.
    I joined because I was seriously messed up both emotionally and financially and it looked like I may loose my little bungalow as well as my job,my relationship and my sanity.
    Long story short, job and man both went, and I eventually got into a better place financially and mentally, I re-trained as a mental health nurse (canít beat them, join them), and kept my little house by the skin of my teeth and some serious money saving ( thanks yíall).
    Although Iím in a much better place now, the whole experience has left me with anxiety around owing money. I know only too well how quickly stuff can unravel and what seems manageable can turn so fast. So I have some debt left, and I canít rest until itís gone. This means that most weekends Iím working extra shifts- working seven days a week.People are telling me to chill, pay a little,spend a little. But I canít - I need it to be gone. So I can stop boring everyone about paying it off and start having some fun again. Sorry for the long rambling post, but this is it, the last leg of what has been a bloody marathon of debt reduction...
    get rid of all the pounds by summer !!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    Was -£8900 NOW-£5000 PAID- £3900
    Get rid of the weight, pay the debt, then get myself a campavan!
Page 1
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 3rd Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    Ok so the chances are I may spend my time on here talking away to myself, but it would be nice to have company, and any words of wisdom on how to shunt this debt of in the fastest time I can. Ive looked at my outgoings and Im generally pretty frugal except for when it comes to toiletries and food shops. Last month I spent over 300 quid on supermarket shops for one adult and one cat. I got a community job last summer and although it was a promotion it effectively meant a pay cut of around £450 a month. I now have to pay fuel and don;t get enhancements for working weekends and nights. This meant I have been boosting my wage back up by working at weekends as a bank nurse, but working seven days a week has left no time for shopping and cooking. So lots of takeaways and two stone weight increase later ( ironically Im an eating disorder nurse now ) I need to sort this out and start budgeting and batch cooking.
    Last edited by lamarsi; 03-03-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,728 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    Hi, wanted to say good luck with it.

It sounds a bit rock and a hard place for you - if you could get the food bill under control then you might not have to work the weekends, hope you can sort it, I'll come and cheer you along.
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 3rd Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    Hi, and thanks for your support !; I know I can cut back just need to get more organised- my lunch deals come to almost £100 a month so could easily save on them. Im just so tired after working. It is s catch 22! Im only off work today because they cancelled the shift. So Im going to make lots of soup and veg chilli for the week!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 3rd Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    MeenaM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    Hello and Welcome!

I understand how for your own mental well being you need to pay off this debt asap , and if that means working extra i am with you and would do that, also look to cut down on the food shop if you can

how much is your debt ? are you able to put extra payments towards it , i would throw everything you can at it and then you can relax and spend some money on fun things without feeling guilty ,

sounds a good idea for making soup and chilli
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/0- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 3845.89AA Credit Card £860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £614/£1000
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,728 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    Have you got a freezer and tubs? Microwave for reheating? Are you veggie?

Sorry, I like cooking by proxy
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 14,072 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    Hello

You've done amazing! Remember that.

What have you already tried for cutting the shopping?

Good luck

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Keep posting!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 5th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    Hi everyone thanks for your responses, it helps to know Im not alone here! In answer to the questions I currently owe 8700 as from today. Yes I have a freezer and was pretty good at batch cooking and freezing before I started to work seven days a week. Its time really that I need to get myself organised. Im off work again this Sunday so going to do a shop and batch cook then- I really need to get the food bill down, but having been on the bones of my bum before now I am ok at being frugal if I have the time.
    Yes I am veggie- well vegan really, so makes it hard popping into a shop and getting something cheap for lunch, I end up at boots or Sainsbury for sandwiches cause they make ones I can eat.
    Did well today though, went to Aldi on my break and got wraps and stuff to make lunch all week.
    That is it really apart from Im a bit worried just realised I may push myself into the next tax bracket this next week and not sure what happens at that point.
    I also joined the credit club and it says Ive a poor chance of getting a loan- rude! Even though my credit score is 999 or something
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 9th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    Hello pay day, how Iíve missed you! Did an extra shift last Sunday at a secure mental health hospital. Been working most weekends for a while now, and Iíve paid back over 5k on my credit card so far by doing this. Itís weird cause they never pay the same, last Friday I was paid for the previous weekend, I worked Saturday and Sunday I got 370, this week I worked the Sunday and got 320... go figure- and thenI get hammered in tax on my normal wage. Iíve put the money in my savings to pay the cc. Iíve concluded paying the money back isnít as much fun as it was spending it. Except for the vet bills, they werenít fun either.
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 9th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,820 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Hi lamarsi,

Maybe you can limit yourself to 1 shift per week? So that you have time to prep your week, get your house in order, play with the pets, meet friends? Spring is coming, and it's a good time to be outside.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 Ä 549.29 = £ 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 Ä 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 Ä 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • thegreenone
    • By thegreenone 9th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    thegreenone
    Hi,
    It sounds as though you are doing really well.

Do you have a slow cooker that you could prep. the night before so you come home to a hot dinner and have leftovers to microwave for a hot lunch the next day?

Secondly, and I have no affiliation to this company other than being a longstanding customer (MSE pls delete if inappropriate) I use an organic delivery company (a & c) they do a one pot recipe box which makes six'ish meals. We're not vegan or even veggie but I order and add meat to suit. Would a delivery work, if you have somewhere safe it can be left? I'm thinking on the lines of you not grabbing food where you can, which increases your food bill, but giving you good food to keep you going all day.

Just a thought. Good luck.
    Last edited by thegreenone; 09-03-2018 at 2:12 PM.
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 11th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    Hi lamarsi,

Maybe you can limit yourself to 1 shift per week? So that you have time to prep your week, get your house in order, play with the pets, meet friends? Spring is coming, and it's a good time to be outside.
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    This is so right and I!!!8217;ve done this this weekend, I was going to book a shift for today, but I!!!8217;m making my parents a lovely tea instead, and sod it I worked yesterday!
    Currently curled up watching tv with the cat for half hour!
    The food boxes are something I!!!8217;m going to have to look at, but I think I need to get back to just cooking and back to being plant based- I tend to surprise people when I tell them I!!!8217;m vegan as I!!!8217;m overweight. But crisps and (some)chippy chips still are vegan, I can eat just as much rubbish without needing animal products and I!!!8217;ve got the backside to prove it
    I did my fasting blood sugars this morning and they show I!!!8217;m pre-diabetic so now need to loose weight and not just because I want to look better. What!!!8217;s the point in paying my debt/ mortgage off early if I die early or worse have a stroke like my gran.
    I!!!8217;ve also decided on Friday to stop drinking at home, I!!!8217;m starting with the 30 day challenge then see how I get on. Lots of things need to change really.
    Last edited by lamarsi; 12-03-2018 at 3:22 PM.
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 12th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    My weigh in today, I appear to be 3lbs down
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 12th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    My weigh in today, I appear to be 3lbs down
    Originally posted by lamarsi
    Well done!
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 12th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    Thank you! Been counting the calories in the fruit cider I drink and Iíve been drinking the equivalent of a pizza some nights :0 so Iím having (vegan) hot chocolate and toast then getting an early night! Went to boots today for new foundation but came away with none. Need to use up the stuff I have first but itís too pale so I look like Iíve been dug up
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 12th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,820 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I have dinner at 6 and go to bed at 10, because if I stay up later, I get a case of the munchies .
    Wombling to wealth 2018 Ä 549.29 = £ 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 Ä 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 Ä 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 12th Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hi :-)

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Totally understand about teh debt thing. You got this and you been through tough times

Well done for coming back - If you need any support you know where we are
    Sam x

Emergency Fund Challenge
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 13th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    Hi :-)

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Totally understand about teh debt thing. You got this and you been through tough times

Well done for coming back - If you need any support you know where we are
    Sam x

Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Thanks Sam x thatís lovely x
    I really feel I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now but Iíll never forget that feeling that it was all too much and I almost gave up. Iím in a good place now but need to start looking after myself physically now. It would be pointless working all the extra shifts - sometimes getting punched and sworn at by patients, pay the debts off then because Iíve neglected myself become unwell and it be for nothing.
    Did fasting blood sugars again this morning theyíre 6.3 which is pre-diabetic still. Took the machine back to work otherwise Iím in danger of looking like a bloody collider from obsessively keep pricking myself.
    Im going to test myself again in a couple of weeks. Good thing about being a nurse is I can keep an eye on these things myself and not bother the doc.
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    • lamarsi
    • By lamarsi 13th Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    lamarsi
    I have dinner at 6 and go to bed at 10, because if I stay up later, I get a case of the munchies .
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    Me too Iím like a grannie - but I do love sleep! Last night I went to watch Netflix in bed and fell to sleep at half eight- woke up at half ten thinking Iíd overslept for work!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,651Users online

Martin's Twitter